“Old Fashioned Courtyard with Breakfast Made to Order, No Bistro for Dinner”

Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Monrovia
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

The staff make this hotel! It needs remodeled. The view of the mountains is lovely. The traffic fromthe freeway is so noisy. You get the picture in that if you like the good, you accept the bad. I doubt that I will stay here again. However, I thank the great staff for a pleasant visit!

• Stayed: October 2012
Janice V, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Mr. Joel B,
It was a pleasure hearing from you and reading your comments. It sounds like you really had the opportunity to enjoy our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and received a value at the same time! We have a great staff that take pride in ensuring your stay with us is just what you need. We look forward to your next stay with us and would love to personally meet you. Please feel free to contact me if you are in the area.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Whereas a typical Courtyard property is a 2 or 3 story building surrounding...you guessed it...a courtyard, this property is not. Obviously they bought an older hotel. This is a 9 story building. No typical courtyard, but it does have a small pool. Also has many amenities that a typical Courtyard does not have (such as conference rooms), but not sure how useful that is to the average traveler. It's obviously an older building, but doesn't look or smell like one. Decor is modern and nice. Rooms were clean. Noise from inside and outside can be a problem, though; it's next to a VERY busy major freeway, and I don't believe they've invested in soundproof glass. As for inside noise, you can never stop people from being inconsiderate and loud in the hallways, but it would be nice to have thicker doors or more insulation to help with that. Staff was friendly. Breakfast was above average. They even have a lobby bar with real drinks. So...nothing horrible, nothing memorable.

Room Tip: The rooms that face north have a great view of the moutains, but may be noisier due to close proximi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Janice V, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear KNichols528,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel for Trip Advisor. Yes, our hotel was built as a full service hotel many years ago and that is why we do not look like the traditional Courtyard. The Courtyard brand has branched out into many new markets where a high rise would appeal to the clientele coming to that area. As you mentioned it does allow us the flexibility to offer full service type amenities to our guests such as ballrooms and a full service bar. I am glad you enjoyed the decor, the room, breakfast and the staff. I hope you will be able to join us again in the near future.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

My daughter (25) & I stayed at the hotel Fri & Sat nights Jun 22 & 23rd, 2012. We had a room on the 7th floor as I had requested high floor. We were facing the front of the hotel (mountain view) and there was no freeway noise up that high. I also like to turn the air conditioner to "fan--on" when I stay most places to drown out noise from the hallways & other rooms to sleep better. All rooms are either 2 queens with a comfy chair or 1 king with a sofa (401 sq ft). The rooms have 32-inch HD LCD TVs & a digital connectivity panel, In-room coffee/tea service & mini-fridge, iron & ironing board and hair dryer. I liked the full length dressing mirror on the wall as many hotels don't have this.

Hotel is easy to access close to the on/off ramps for the 210 freeway. This hotel is not a resort, so don't expect a nice pool area & there is not a central "courtyard" type pool / spa with the landscaping around it because it was not built originally for Marriott. We didn't like the pool/spa area, it was too small and claustrophobic with everyone there almost on top of each other, so we didn't use it. We were busy all weekend shopping and going to museums & dining anyway.

The room also has the Marriott work table on wheels that you can pull out & a chair to work on your laptop. We were doing a project to make head pieces for our high school drill team so the table came in handy in the evening. The hotel used to be a Four Points by Sheraton, so the bathrooms are smaller, but they have a vanity with open shelving so you have room for your stuff. The bath has the usual Marriott granite counter tops & the curved shower rods for more room while showering. We loved the large flat screen HD TV. My daughter commented that the window coverings were very attractive with a pretty sheer one and the 2nd was a black out curtain. The window is floor to ceiling for lots of light. The bathroom had a venting system that is on all the time so the room stays free of humidity & worked well. The feather pillows were very comfy, but you can also request foam if you need to for allergies. The beds were firm & supportive so no aches or pains when we woke up. Great sheets & bedding.

The lobby was very attractively decorated & had a more upscale appearance than the standard Courtyards, & had a dispenser cold of water with fruit in it & we were very thirsty when we arrived so this was great. Parking was free & we had no trouble finding a spot even when on Sat. night the hotel was full.

The hotel serves breakfast daily starting at 7 am, I think & on Sunday Champagne Brunch 10:30 to 2 pm as well. There is a bar as well and they serve dinner in the bar too.

I highly recommend this hotel and we would gladly stay there again in the future!

Room Tip: both sides of the hotel have a view and the way it is angled neither is really better than the other...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear MOTHERLOAD,
Thank you so much for the opportunity to be your home away from home on your recent trip with your daughter. I sounds like you had a busy but enjoyable weekend. Thank you so much for the wonderful comments on the hotel and I am so glad your stay was so positive. We hope to be able to see you again very soon and on your next visit would really appreciate the opportunity to personally meet you.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Considering that this hotel is close to the major highway and we couldn't hear any noise from the those cars, I give this hotel 2 thumbs up. BUT, I had sleepless night from the hallway nonstop activities. The room is not 'hallway soundproof'. You can literally hear people talking, taking showers, even munching snacks.
The room was clean and amenities are in excellent condition. The breakfast was fantastic. But with all of those positive note ruin with one major flaw, will we be back to this hotel? Absolutely not.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Janice V, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Zaitun101,
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your constructive feedback. I am glad to hear you enjoyed many aspects and services the hotel has to offer. My apologies that you were disturbed by noise throughout the hotel. This is a new complaint for us that has not been mentioned before so I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. We will certainly track this for any trends and address the issue accordingly. If you would like to speak to me directly regarding your experience please feel free to reach out to me.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

The hotel is next to the fwy and all night long that is what you will hear. The rooms are not sound proofed and I got little or no sleep at this hotel.

The room was clean but small. I could not get the swamp cooler to cool my room to a comfortable temperature. In addition, I found out the hard way that the bathroom light is automatic. Just a warning, in case there is a way to change the setting so bright light does not blast you when you use the restroom in the middle of the night.

The fitness room was as hot as a sauna and I could not finish my workout.

The one plus at this hotel was their breakfast which was included in our rate. Great omelet bar and breakfast items!

I am a marriott rewards member and I was highly disappointed in the hotel staff who could not accommodate us in our request for an hour later checkout. Checkout was noon and we needed to stay until 2 p.m. so we could get ready for a wedding we were there to attend which started at 3:30p.m. I explained this to the desk staff who unhelpfully said I could pay a half day rate for the extra hour. They did allow a 1 p.m. extension. I asked if something more reasonable for the extra hour was possible like $20 and they said anything more than an hour is a half day rate "no exceptions". Checking out at 2 p.m. would still put us under 24 hours staying at this hotel and yet they could not accommodate us for the sole purpose of our stay with them (getting ready for the wedding we were attending).

I would not recommend this hotel nor would I stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Momsperception
Janice V, Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Momsperception,
Thank you so much for your feedback and for staying with us. My apologies that you did not experience a good night’s sleep while staying with us. We offer a couple of sleep tight kits to the occasional guest that hears the freeway noise. This might have assisted you. I only wish we had the opportunity to address your additional feedback while you were still in the hotel. I feel badly you were not completely satisfied with your stay but because our hotel values your business, I would like to extend the opportunity to make things right for you in the future by looking into the details of your stay with us, if you would like to email me I would like the opportunity to follow-up with you. I look forward to hearing from you.
Nicole Guiu
Assistant General Manager
nicole.guiu@cymonrovia.com

Reviewed August 1, 2012

This property is very nice and easy access to the 210 freeway - maybe a little too easy. We were on the third floor which is right at the same elevation as the freeway, so it was a bit noisey at night. Recommend a higher floor! Friends on the 6th floor did not have the problem.

Everything was clean and nice, staff was very friendly and helpful. Nice shopping center right next door (walking distance) with some good restaurants.

On site restaurant served a nice full breakfast, and they sometimes include it if you are there for a special event in the neighborhood. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to get above the freeway noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Janice V, General Manager at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Hello SedonaAddict,
Thank you so much for staying with us and for completing a review on the property. I am so glad to hear we took good care of you and that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights while visiting family in Pasadena. Very convenient location, right by the 210 freeway, close to many restaurants, and a Starbucks a block across the street.

I was in room 913 which had a view of the shopping center across the street and the freeway. The room was a good size, comfy bed and pillows, a mini-fridge, and coffee maker. (Now if only they provided Starbucks brand coffee!) I did not find noise from the freeway to be a problem at all. I was able to sleep through the night and work from the room telecommuting during the day.

The bathroom was on the small side, but the water pressure in the shower was very good.

Broadband internet is complimentary, which I appreciated. Toll Free calls are also no charge unlike other hotels which charge you a fee to connect to a TF#. This was a good value for me as I had to get on many conference calls throughout my stay. The phone has a speakerphone and mute capabilities. Overall a solid business hotel.

The front desk staff were very friendly. Each time I passed by the lobby, they greeted me. Room service for breakfast was prompt and the price was not outrageous.

This will be my hotel choice each time I am in the area.

PS: Rudy's Mexican in Old Town Monrovia had great food (mentioned by another reviewer below).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear Pigsterz,
Thank you so much for using our hotel as your home base while in the Pasadena area. We greatly appreciate your review and are so glad you were able to utilize many of our services. Our team is very tuned into what the business traveler may need while on the road. I am glad to see you were able to take advantage of our free internet and local phone calls. A good nights sleep is critical while away from home since our guests are in unfamiliar surroundings. We hope to be able to see you again very soon.
janice.vandesteeg@cymonrovia.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monrovia
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area
Hampton Inn Los Angeles/Arcadia/Pasadena
Embassy Suites by Hilton Arcadia Pasadena Area
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Monrovia
Residence Inn Pasadena Arcadia
Oak Tree Inn
Oak Tree Inn
#3 of 7 in Monrovia

Been to Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia? Share your experiences!