“Great hotel - modern, clean, smart design, great workout facility, nice staff.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Monrovia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Great hotel. Smart design. Clean. Modern. Efficient use of space. Loved the workout facility. Very nice staff. Quiet. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area

Reviewed December 1, 2009

We arrived on a Sun afternoon and was greeted with warm cookies by front desk. Front lobby is updated and nicely done.

The Hotel is marked with an M which we decided was for Monrovia? It's surrounded by restaurants (Claim Jumper and Red Lobster are just a walk away) and is right off the 210 Freeway. There are other restaurants nearby.

As we are Hilton Diamond Members, our rooms were automatically upgraded. As we reached our room, it was the first room off of the elevator. So, in our room we heard the elevator move up and down. The layout was bigger, but we decided to change our rooms due to the noise. We were told that all of the upgraded rooms are next to the elevator shaft. Across from that room is the ice maker which loud. So, we were moved to a smaller room with Queen beds. As we approached our room, you are walking down a very dark hallway (reminded me of a CSI episode). The room seemed smaller and they kept the dark walls which I normally like, but they seemed to have overdone the dark brown. The room had WIFI which was good for us. The beds had no box spring, so they were on just a platform and were probably 18" off the ground. The beds indicated the Sweet Dream line, but this was the first time I couldn't sleep on their beds (I have a platform bed too). The bathroom was very small. There is no tub, just a stand up shower. I had to request a hair dryer, but they brought it to us within minutes.

We had breakfast in their restaurant and opted for their buffet. I ordered the an omelet and was very happy with it. Family ordered other items and were very happy with their meal. The morning buffet had the usual and we enjoyed the view of the pool (nobody in it) and watched our morning news. Service was wonderful.

Overall, I liked the service of the employees, but we were disappointed in our room which is also a big part of our stay. The Front Desk did let us have a late check out which we appreciated. So, if you don't mind the room, you'll like the stay due to the wonderful customer service and location. I had to rate this as average due to cleanliness and the wonderful service. If Hilton could of just got the rooms right, I would of rated it higher. I would try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2009

Because I booked on Priceline, I got the worst room. The elevator shaft & ice machine were noisy and next to my room. Monrovia has poor water; the local restaurants filter their water. Dbltree does not.
The room was dim, the ac was manual and the hot water didn't work til maintenance came in. The room was sexy, the bed was nice. I like being able to open a window. Not possible here. It is convenient and nice restaurants are adjacent. Stay away.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I have been staying at the DoubleTree Monrovia every week for the past seven weeks for work. Overall, it has been an ok experience...but it could be better.

For the positives:

1. The hotel is very conveniently located in the San Gabriel Valley. It is right off the 210 freeway (the freeway exit leads you right to the parking lot), so is easy to find and access. It is only about a seven minute drive from downtown Pasadena and 25 minutes from the Burbank Airport.

If you need to get to downtown LA, it is not as convenient...about 35 minutes away if there is no traffic...but still a relatively easy drive.

2. Plenty of parking. Never been an issue to find a parking space close to the hotel. They share the lot with a Claim Jumper's restaurant, which is popular. But, even on the busy nights, you won't have a problem finding a space.

3. There are many eating options nearby. Again, I've been coming here for seven weeks straight, and I still haven't tried all the restaurants in the area.

4. Free wi-fi/internet access. I'm finding free wi-fi to be rare these days, so this is a nice service.

5. Nice views of the Santa Ana hills and, if you're on the west side of the building, of downtown LA.

6. Decent fitness room. Not a ton of equipment, but enough to get in a decent workout. Three elipticals. Two treadmills. A full set of free weights. Mats and pilates balls for stretching. And, if you want to go for a jog, you are not far from some beautiful, large parks in Arcadia that have jogging paths.

7. Good corporate rates. I have a corporate rate, which is about 2/3rds of the published rate. So, all in all, a good deal. But I don't think the published rate ($159/night) would be worth it.

8. You can ask to have a small refrigerator and microwave in your room at no extra charge. When you're on business travel, this can be convenient as you sometimes just want to nuke your own meal and stay in.

9. Super comfortable bed. It is low to the ground, so those with back problems might have an issue. But it is otherwise dreamy.

Some of the not-so-positives:

1. The hotel is rather dark and depressing. The building was probably built in the 1950s or 1960s, but has been recently remodeled. It still feels like a former bomb shelter, though. Concrete ceilings. Few windows in the common areas, and the windows in the rooms have a dark glaze on them. So, it doesn't get much light and feels a bit dark and depressing...not exactly what you want in Southern California, especially.

The decor of the rooms is new and acceptable, but nothing to write home about. Definitely a more modern vibe, but not as stylish as I might have expected. They could have used lighter colors and more lights to brighten the place up.

In the bathroom, they only have a shower...no tub. So probably not a great place for people traveling with small children.

2. The air conditioning is awful. It is currently running in the 90s to low 100s in Monrovia, so very hot. Every time I check into my room, the air conditioning is off and the room is sweltering hot. Turning the air conditioning on takes at least one hour to cool off the room, so best to go grab a bite to eat while things are cooling off. Furthermore, the air conditioners are wall units and not central air. They are loud...it sounds like a freight train in your room. Even worse, I have had three rooms where the units didn't work at all. I now don't unpack until I know the unit works, as I've had to move rooms on three separate occasions.

3. There is a bit of a foul smell in every bathroom that I've had. The bathrooms have no windows, and I don't believe they have appropriate ventilation. So, I will come back into my room and it will have a faint sewer smell. It pretty much stays in the bathroom, but still not pleasant. I've asked about this, and they say the toilets don't prevent gases from coming into the rooms as well as they'd like.

4. This is a non-smoking hotel, except for a few rooms on the 10th floor. Unfortunately, though, the rooms seem to be connected through the ventilation system...so the smoke from some of the smoking rooms can find it's way into your room. I've come back from many a long day and had a foul, smoke smell to welcome me. I usually try to stay on the lower floors, which don't seem to have as big an issue as those above the seventh floor.

5. Room service, while decent food, is way too expensive for what you get. There are many healthy eating options, which is great. But you pay at least $30 for a salad and a drink, which I think is exorbitant. Unfortunately, the restaurant down stairs isn't any cheaper. So, I've been going off premise consistently to eat. Again, plenty of restaurants nearby, though.

So, all in all, not a bad place for business travelers. Not sure I'd recommend the place for vacationers, though, as the issues above wouldn't be something I could overlook while trying to relax.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank JMBINCA
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I stay at this hotel often since it's neear our office and have found it to be a good value, very modern and well run. I always like staying here. We also use it for corporate functions, meetings, training etc. and they do a great job for us.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Checked in before 11:00 am. The room was available. This was my 3rd stay this month and I was recognized. Just like a home away from home.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 2, 2009

I know many people complain about this hotel, I think those bad reviews were only back then when this doubletree newly opens. They have changed now. Not only the front staff was helpful and courteous, the hotel itself is nice and neat!

They have nice pool and jacuzzi outside with cabana, fireplace, relaxing chairs and a Wii system. There is a fitness center on the first floor overseeing the pool with lots of windows.

The room itself impresses me the most with the innovative roll away desk that enable me to work on my bed, on the large couch by the window or stand alone underneath the 32" LCD TV. I appreciate the free internet access also. The roll away desk saves a lot of space in the room. I have attached some pictures along with my review but they were taken from the cell phone so the quality isn’t that good.

Bathroom with standing shower, hand-held shower head and Neutrogena face moisturizer, cleaning foam, body lotion, shampoo and conditioner. Great bed and towels!

Contemporary room decoration. Ample parking space without fees. Walkable distance to restaurants.

My only complain is the same as other users are that the air conditioning seems a bit noisy. But overall, I had a great stay and definitely will be back again!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monrovia
Hampton Inn Los Angeles/Arcadia/Pasadena
Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia
Embassy Suites by Hilton Arcadia Pasadena Area
Hilton Garden Inn Arcadia/Pasadena Area
SpringHill Suites Pasadena Arcadia
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Monrovia

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area? Share your experiences!