“Nice Hotel!! and the awful sound of the elevator....”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Monrovia
GreenLeadersSilver level
new york
“Nice Hotel!! and the awful sound of the elevator....”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Picked this one on a rim base on reviews and pictures. Very nice area to stay if going to the Pasadena area. My 1st impression when I checked in, very nice decor..ZEN! Starbucks in the lobby:)
On the downside...I agree whomever decorated the rooms never stayed in a hotel..the placement of the lighting, makes the room dark, bathroom gap behind the sink, hit my head on the shelf close to the sink a few times. Shower head quite low. For a short person YES it was low for me to use. The bed is very low to the ground, but cozy/comfortable.
FREE internet=on the slow side and unreliable
FREE parking is a plus*****and the elevator gives off a sound of a bad engine all day and night..AWFUL*** Stay away from rooms 001 to 008 you'll hear it the worst. Overall I would stay here again,

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms 001-008..awful sound of elevator and ice machine
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank lambna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
edinburgh
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Used this hotel for a visit to the Breeders Cup.

Check in was quick and easy and the hotel is conveniently sited for nearby bars and restaurants.There was plenty of free parking that is close to the main entrance. The foyer is bright and welcoming.

Our room was on the 8th floor and had all the facilities required. There was an a/c unit that worked really well although was on the noisy side. Doesn't affect or bother me but could bother a light sleeper. There was a large bed with a TV situated on the wall opposite. There was a couch and table within the room. The bathroom was fine and had a shower but no bath (fine by us as we don't use the bath). Toiletries were also provided. For what we required and if you are simply using this as a base then it is ideal. The room was clean and tidy and there were no issues.

On both mornings we were there we asked reception to order is a cab. On both occasions done without problem and with very little wait (given the Breeders Cup was on). Every time we had cause to speak to a member of staff they were pleasant, gracious and helpful.

We used the hotel for breakfast on our last morning. We chose the buffet and found this to be very good value for money. Cereals, breads, pastries and hot foods were available. Tea and coffee were also plentiful.

The bar was fairly busy but again quickly served and prices reasonable for where we were.

Overall a pleasant stay and exactly what we required in that it was used simply as a base for 3 nights.

Room Tip: Choose a room on floors 8 - 10 as they are highlighted as executive rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bigmelly
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 10, 2012

One night at this very nicely renovated property. Very comfortable, clean and more upscale than expected. Seems more like a W than a doubletree but take off your sunglasses and squint a bit as some parts of the hotel are fairly dim lit.
Great bed, room, bathroom, modern fitness room, laundry in building if you need to do a wash.
The treatment for Gold elites and above is very good, you'll feel appreciated.
You can walk to plenty of dining attractions and the free shuttle of the hotel within seven miles is a good bet if you dont feel like driving or lack wheels.
Wouldnt hesitate to stay again.
Not sure why the hotel got poor reviews from others, I didnt bother with the pool so not relevant to me. Internet was good.
Only down experience was the delay in a requested cooler/fridge for the room. Resolved satisfactorily. The exterior of the hotel is blah, looks like a early 80s era, but the inside will impress if you can see. Great cookies handed out at checkin.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I'm sure that someplace on their website it says they've recently done a $XX million renovation. But the decor is odd - not bad, but not really good. The bottome line is that it's a brick (tall, flat, old style hotel) that's been remodeled and uppriced. You can stay at another near by property, pay less, and get just as much.

The lobby is nice with a cafe (serving Starbucks)/ snack shop on one side, reception desk on the other, and the restaurant straight ahead. Everything is done in a "modern" minimalist style. There's a pool and workout facilities. But I didn't have a chance to use either.

The room contiues with the modern minimalist decor. The bed is on a low platform with just a mattress. The desk is a narrow, wide plank on wheels originaly located right under the flat panel TV - it's difficult to have the TV on while you're sitting at the desk because it's about 18" from your face. The desk moves, but then you don't have power - OK for the life of the laptop battery. There's a couch build in under the window and the individual inroom heating/cooling unit is encased in a wooden structure - but conveniently controled from a wall unit.

Wifi was free and snap to get on - especially if you stayed at a Hilton property before as it's the same connection credetials.

I was close to the elevator bank, room X03, and you could hear the elevator motor all night long - and especially in the morning as people started to get active. It woke me up - not good.

Breakfast was OK - breakfast bar and eggs anyway you want, but like everything else in the hotel, overpriced.

So....I hate to say it, but pick another hotel down the block, pay less, and get the same level of amenities.

Room Tip: Get a room with higher number, X10 or higher, to get away from the noisy elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Plate18
portland, oregon
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I checked into the Doubletree Monrovia, CA on Oct 19. After a long day of travel I was looking forward to relaxing poolside but noticed a sign at check in stating the pool and spa area were occupied for the entire evening from 5:00 pm until 11:30 pm, with a private party. It was disapointing and especially so since I could have been notified of the event when I booked the stay. However, I put my disapointment aside and looked forward to using the pool and spa the next evening. The next evening I made my way to the pool with great anticipation only to find the area was closed to host another private event.
The pool is an amenity that should be made available during a guests stay and if not, other compensation to the guests that cannot enjoy those areas should be made. This hotel has only very small public areas and when the primarily public pool area is closed the impact to other hotel guests does not go unnoticed. I think the DoubleTree should rethink their policies.
Considering the number of good hotels in the area, I will choose to stay someplace else in the future. The stay at the Doubletree was not inviting.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelstoomuch1
lplascencia, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We’re sorry we didn’t provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the lack of access to our pool area because of events during your stay. We want to ensure we are always providing the best stay for guests and will provide better accommodations during these situations in the future. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement.
Florida, Uruguay
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I am a Hilton Diamond member and stay at this hotel frequently (well at least I used to). The last time I stayed there, they charged me the wrong rate (150 instead of 120). I checked out and did not notice until later. Then when I noticed it, I also noticed they charged me twice for the same room (twice at the same erroneously high rate). I called them to ask about it, and they said please hold, then hung up on me. When I called back no one answered. Then when I called Hilton Honors, they finally got ahold of them, and they told me "everyone makes mistakes." Rather than make excuses and give me a hard time, just correct it and apologize. I don't think I need to stay here again, not do I have to have any of my numerous extensively travelling colleagues stay here again either.

Room Tip: Pick one that is not at this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ckckckckckck
lplascencia, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. Hearing from our guests helps us provide the best experience possible. We’re sorry that you experienced billing issue after checking out of our hotel as well as for the manner which these issues were handled. This is not the level of customer service we aim to provide and will work to do better. Please reach out to us directly if there is anything more we can do to resolve the billing issue with you.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Spacious hotel following the design of what I call modern Euro retro, lol. The rooms are similar in feel and style to the Hilton convention center in Aneheim, and the Zurich Hilton which I just stayed at last week. This doubletree had the nicest rooms and most modern feel beieve it or not. Nice bar area, confy beds and an overall good experience. I did have to take a star away though as I received my bill under my door, sealed witha sticker. I opened it to find a $10 room charge for "Doubletree water". I am a Diamond member, which was acknowledged upon check-in, and recieved my usual complimentary water, so why the charge? I did call reception and it was taken off my bill without questions. Hmm, no question at all, "just a sorry about that". Not sure how this is even possible for this to have been put on my bill in the first place. Just a bit shady for me I guess. Otherwise a decent stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Gunzee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monrovia
Hampton Inn Los Angeles/Arcadia/Pasadena
Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia
Hilton Garden Inn Arcadia/Pasadena Area
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Monrovia
Embassy Suites by Hilton Arcadia Pasadena Area
SpringHill Suites Pasadena Arcadia

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area? Share your experiences!