DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$139
$142
$129
$175
$159
All reviewsdouble treeclaim jumpersanta anitawarm cookiesrose bowlpool areanice hotelbreakfast buffetgreat place to staybusiness tripenjoyed my stayair conditionerfire piteasy accessconvenient locationlos angelesfree parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Hotel is well located. stayed there a few times duting 2010 and 2011 and always had a ncie room with very good service!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank kobi47
lplascencia, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2011

Dear Kobi47,
Thanks for the comments! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at DoubleTree Hotel Monrovia – Pasadena Area. We hope to welcome you back the next time you’re in the area.

Regards,
Luis Plascencia

Reviewed May 30, 2011

We only stayed one night traveling thru the area and we picked this hotel only because we knew the brand name and didnt have access to a computer to search by prices etc. The lobby, pool, and bar area are all very nice. We had what was called a jr suite, but there was nothing suite'ish about it.. it seemed very small. My one biggest complaint was the bathroom. No privacy whatsoever, just a curtain separating the room from the bathroom. A large glass window separates the bedroom and shower. The shower is the worst. The water comes from up above which looked really cool.. but once you're in the shower its liked getting rained on, you cant help but get your face wet the whole time.. and they didnt bother putting up shower curtains, so you can imagine the mess.. water everywhere!! Other than that, we had a nice stay. The bed was comfortable. We had a drink in the bar which was nice but rather boring since we were the only two people in the place. There was a great fire pit/wall out by the pool, but only a few seats around it which were already taken, it would have been nice to have a glass of wine out there.. but no such luck. Oh also. One more little complaint about the bathroom.. they always leave the card "to save water we ask that you hang your towls to conserve water, or put on the floor to replace".. Not one single place to hang a towl in that bathroom. so you have to throw it on the floor.. because everywhere else is wet because of the bad shower design.. even the toilet was soaked by the time I was done taking a shower. its really kinda gross.. walking thru 1/2 inch of water in the middle of the night. Anyway, like I said, we only stayed the one night and I would probably stay here again. Maybe.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Northcarolinapuppy
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I travel a lot, and stay in many hotels. This one met all of my basic requirements:
The staff at reception were very friendly, and efficient.
The room had been recently upgraded. It was clean. Everything worked. There was hot water in the shower.

I knew to ask for a room away from the elevator (thanks reviewers), so it was quiet. We did hear the people next door when they came in, but they were quiet.

The swimming pool area looked really well done.

Our package included breakfast. It is a buffet, and was very good.

I would stay there again.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2011

...two weeks after our first flawed visit. This time, greeted by a sign that said the pool area's closed throughout our one day/night stay. Made my reservation 4 days ago, no word on pool closing. Seems a wedding moved to the pool area last minute. I hope the made a TON off that wedding, since I wasn't the only one to cancel and walk out. Awful.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Sophiemichaels
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Let me start by saying that this is a really cool hotel, with a lot going for it. The lobby is modern, spacious, bright and the fresh orchids are lovely. The pool area is terrific, it LOOKS very cool. Despite the fact that God forbid you bring a few drinks down from your hotel and might spend 10 dollars less at their bar. But I know that is common practice. The pool is freezing cold, and the hot tub, when the bubbles aren't going, doesn't look clean and smells kind of funny - weird yeast smell.

Parking situation is great - I was there on a busy weekend - Renaissance Faire was the occasion. But was still able to park 100 feet from the door. Also, the Ren Faire shuttles were free and well organized. The front desk staff was very friendly and accomodating, and what came later was not their fault. We showed up at 11am to get the shuttle to the Faire, and everything was smooth. I'd hoped to check in early, but understood they were prob. booked and this wouldn't be possible, which it wasn't. Everyone's right about all the stuff conveniently located: Trader Joes is walking distance, plenty of restaurants. And it's ridiculously close to the 210 freeway.

When my mom came back from the Faire at 3:15, the room wasn't ready (3:00 checkin). She couldn't get a room until at least 4:30. There is NO excuse for this. None. When I make a reservation, I'm making an agreement with the hotel. I will give them money upfront and they will KEEP my money if I don't cancel within 24 hours of checkin. In exchange, I will have a room between 3pm one day and 12 noon the next. That's the deal. I am not a picky traveller - all I ask is that there should indeed be a room when I get to the hotel, if it's after checkin time. There wasn't. And no, I don't want free drinks and free breakfast. I want them to fulfill their part of the deal. Someone dropped the ball - I don't know if it was the person who gave too many people late check-out (I understand this hotel is pretty liberal about that - which is great if you're the late check-out person, but terrible if you're the one waiting for a room), or if it was housekeeping, which is what the person at front desk told us. But this is the one thing that I find completely unacceptable in a hotel. Again, the front desk was really sorry, and it really wasn't their fault, but....

Anyway, so: We were really happy to go to our room. First, the positive: It was room 201, and it is the famous one next to the elevator, which other reviewers have complained about. I didn't hear a thing from the elevator - that wasn't a problem. Granted, the wall-unit air-conditioner was superloud (as others have also discussed) but even when it was off, we heard nothing from the elevator. I don't really care about the loud air-conditioner, as long as it works. I also don't care about the low-to-the-ground beds. I liked the Asian style of the beds and room, although I think they went overboard: The room comes off as dark, cold and industrial - the lighting is completely inadequate, especially since this is a business oriented hotel and you can't see anything that's not on a bright computer screen. But the beds are SUPER comfortable, the pillows are large, fluffy, and plentiful. And the room was really big, with a separate space with a couch facing the nice flat screen. The trouble is....

IT was like being in a huge room in a prison. When we opened the windows, I was absolutely floored. Because we were on the second floor and facing in a certain direction, the view was of the filthy roof of the bottom floor, electrical equipment and air conditioning stuff. And by that, I don't mean you could see that stuff, I mean it was two feet from the window. I have never looked out a hotel window and seen ANYTHING that bad. Please check out the pictures... and keep in mind that they were taken with the room's lights all on. It was dark inside, it was ugly outside, it was just yuckyuckyuck. The opposite of the hotel's lobby, pool and restaurant areas. Again, room 201. If we'd have been in room 301, fine. It would at least be slightly below us, but the junk was in our faces, and the window was filthy. This room has no business being anything but storage for housekeeping, or plaster it in and make it an iceroom.

By the way, I didn't get a discount, I paid over 130 bucks for this place. Lots of people who gave it high marks said they got priceline or whatever, and weren't sure it would be worth the high end of the Doubletree pricerange. I'd have been happy to have paid what I did without the fatal flaws, but man, they were fatal! Again, check out the pix, and when you book, tell them you don't want room 201!

Room Tip: Try to get the pool side of the building.
Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business