“Bear on the menu, dead atmosphere”
Review of Devon

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Devon
Ranked #74 of 138 Restaurants in Monrovia
Los Angeles
“Bear on the menu, dead atmosphere”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We weren't entirely sure we wanted to give Devon a try because there never seemed to be anybody dining there. The maitre de gave us a lifeless greeting, and we were seated in an empty, darkish room. When I read on the menu that black bear ravioli was offered, I respectfully expressed my disappointment to the waiter (who was also the maitre de). We promptly left without eating there. We will not be going back to this dark place.

Visited May 2011
4 Thank Suzy B

Los Angeles, CA
“Worst Service!”
Reviewed July 1, 2009

Gave this place try a few years ago, never thought about writing a review. I've promised myself to never return and tell people at every chance I get not to go. My now Husband and I walked in, were seated, reluctantly, and were never attended to again. No menus, no water, no friendly service. Other customers walked in, and promptly attended to, but not us. Not sure if it was because we were young or not-white, but I've never in my life received service like I did at Devon's. After over 10 minutes of waiting and trying to get someone's attention, we walked out. It is no surprise they are not doing well. There are too many other restaurants to try and visit, please do not go to Devon's!!
Grew up in the area, and have tried almost every restaurant in Monrovia, this one is by far the worst. Of course I can not comment on the food, as we never given the opportunity.

2 Thank Zethers
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“After several years of wanting to try Devon, we finally went last Tuesday night. The bar had several patrons, and the...”
Reviewed May 15, 2008

After several years of wanting to try Devon, we finally went last Tuesday night. The bar had several patrons, and the dining room had one table of three and our table of two, and another part of the dining room was rented by a pharmaceutical company. It seemed that the service was slowed down by the pharmaceutical group as there appeared to be one waiter, one bus boy and the owner. We received a little amuse bouche of fried cauliflower in a sauce that tasted of soy sauce and some other seasonings. The amuse bouche was not hot. It was room-temperature or cooler, which seemed incongruous with the fact that cauliflower was fried. It seems that if you are going to serve something fried, it would taste much better hot out of the fryer, instead of getting soft and mushy after sitting around at room temp for quite a while. I had the artichoke & feta salad and my husband had the field greens. There was a considerable amount of artichoke hearts in my salad, more than I expected. The salad had quite a few items in it: chopped dried figs, hazel nuts, red onion, green onion, and parsley along with the hearts and feta. It was mildly flavored --- I wasn't crazy about it. My husband's salad was a basic field greens with some large pumpkin seeds and tomato slices. Nothing to rave about. A sorbet was brought out after this course -- a basil, raspberry and cranberry sorbet. It was tasty and refreshing. I have to agree with the other reviewer that the bread was very disappointing. It was dry and got drier as the night went on. Not good quality bread, and if it was, it had definitely passed its prime. For our main course, my husband had the rib eye and I had the pork osso buco (which replaced the pork tenderloin that night). The rib eye was flavorful. The pork osso buco wasn't exactly what I thought it would be. The sauce was very light and seemed to resemble a tomato broth in consistency. I understand the chef has his own interpretation of osso buco, but the flavor seemed to heavily influenced by whatever wine he used. It didn't taste like the alcohol had actually cooked out of the dish before they served it to me. The meat was very tender, though -- falling off the bone. The dish was accompanied by some broccoli, carrot slivers and potatoes au gratin (my favorite potato dish). The waiter warned me that the separate plate of veggies was very hot, but when I ate some of the vegetables, they were definitely not hot. These, too, were at room temperature or cooler. Overall, the service was friendly enough, if not a bit slow. But I was really disappointed in this restaurant and our dishes after hearing the raves about Devon for several years. I don't plan on returning to Devon.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Pasadena
“What happened?”
Reviewed October 14, 2007

Walked in on a Saturday night with no reservations. The restaurant was almost empty. It had the distinct air of a place that was not doing well.

They were out of many of the "by the glass" wines on the wine list. The bread looked and tasted like it was straight out of a plastic wrap from the corner grocery store. The field greens salad was good, the sauces were excellent and my husband liked his rib-eye stake. But my dry salmon filet had obviously been frozen & thawed and the carrots were hard.

We won't go back.

2 Thank SG_Valley_Review
A TripAdvisor Member
“Classy and very fine dining”
Reviewed January 31, 2006

I read a review elsewhere that complained of poor service, but I disagree. I have now been to this restaurant twice (I live about 90 miles away) and both times the service was excellent.

The owner greets everyone at the door. The atmosphere is calm and classy with the lighting very directed at the tables with the rest of the room darker, which tends to make one feel as if you're the only ones there.

The place seems to lean toward gamey meats, with carribou this time, venison last time, and black bear ravioli both times which I cannot recommend enough. If bear isn't your thing, then don't miss the oysters as they are also superb. Each dish has a wonderful sauce and presentation was outstanding - you almost want to photograph the plate before you eat it, it looks so good. The only problem we had was deciding on what to order and when it came, we all shared so we could see what we were missing; not one was even the least bit disappointing.

I highly recommend this restaurant and am even having my wedding rehearsal dinner there month after next.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member