“Great Happy Hour Bargains”

Oto-Oto Izakaya Japonaise
Ranked #12 of 141 Restaurants in Monrovia
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I went here a few weeks ago, when we were desperate to find a place for a quick lunch. We are not local, but we had driven to buy a car and needed to kill time while the paperwork was being processed. We drove around and decided to give Oto-Oto a chance.

We arrived just in time for happy hour on a Friday afternoon. The happy hour deals were really great and we ended up having some delicious rolls for a very good price. If we lived closer, I could see becoming regulars here.

The server was nice and attentive.

The restaurant is clean and pretty. It was also busy for a late afternoon and I can imagine that this restaurant is packed solid at peak times.

Please check out my blog for more reviews and musings.

1  Thank Karen H

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I love Japanese food and Oto-Oto Izakaya Japonaise was a great find. I was shipping packages at FedEx next door and noticed this restaurant. I was in the mood for Japanese so gave it a try. I was amazed when I entered the restaurant and noted its modern authenticity. The menu is extensive and the service excellent. I had my usual Cirashi and my guests ordered dinners. The servings are very adequate and presentation exceptional. Everyone was happy with their orders. Don't pass up this place.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We came here for my wife's uncle's 92nd birthday - Overall, it is a very good restaurant. The service is excellent - all the waitresses were very patient and attentive. There is a wide variety of foods available. I chose the chicken karaage dinner set - the karaage came with miso soup, chawanmushi, salad, hijiki, and rice. Each side dish was pretty large so you get a lot for you money. I also ordered a rainbow roll - the fish was pretty fresh but felt the sauce was a bit overpowering. Everyone else in our party seemed to enjoy whatever they ordered so our consensus was the food was of good quality. It got crowded around 6:30 so either go early or make reservations.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Tucked away in the corner of a small strip mall, right off the 210 freeway, this place can easily be lost amongst ALL the many restaurants located on Huntington Dr. in Monrovia/Arcadia...also known as "Restaurant Row"! I actually chose this place based on recommendations from TripAdvisor and it's location to our hotel. Pricing seemed to be on par for most Japanese/sushi restaurants. Menu was in both Japanese and English and felt very authentic. I would say the place itself had a fresh modern and open feel. Staff was pleasant and helpful although service was a bit slow. Without having to ask, one of the servers did mention that it had been slow earlier, so they just sent some of their chefs home for the evening only to have a late dinner rush (7:30 - 8ish) on a Friday!?

Despite the somewhat slow service, the fish was definitely fresh, which is kind of key when ordering sushi and sashimi! The salmon would just melt in your mouth, it was so fresh! The presentation was beautiful and looked like edible art! The sashimi platter was served over crushed ice in a wooden bowl. The sushi was presented on a long narrow glass platter, much more interesting than your usual plain white platters. They had other items on their menu, but on this evening, I chose to stick to my usuals. I will have to make another visit to try out some of the other fun and interesting options, including the unusual desserts!?

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went with family to check out this restaurant based on trip advisor reviews. The service was very good,restrooms very clean (always important), bot the sushi was just average, nothing special. Kabuki is still the best in the area in my opinion...P.S. don't order the chicken meatball roll...