“Expected Good - Got Great”

Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Monrovia
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Monrovia
Burbank, California
“Expected Good - Got Great”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

When a family member recently underwent surgery at City of Hope we were looking for a "Home Base" close to the hospital, Extended Stay seemed to have a superior set of ammenities compared to all the other alternatives. I went to check it out ahead of time and it was obvious the staff was well prepared for these circumstances. I checked out the room ahead of time and it was perfect for what we needed, well kept, well appointed and I was sold.

Lisette, the Hotel Manager and her staff, made all the difference: from arranging a smooth check-in process, to meeting our needs so well during our stay and to being tremendously flexible when, unfortunately, we needed to stay longer due to a longer than expected recovery process. If was really their professionalism and attention to our needs that made our stay Great, instead of just Good.

This place is well kept and well run. I was so very happy staying there, especially under the circumstances. I Highly, Highly recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Monrovia, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
David - I appreciate you taking the time to write such a kind and thoughtful review. I'm thrilled that your expectations were exceeded, you and your family were a pleasure to have stay at our hotel. I will be sure to share your comments with the entire team. We hope your family member is doing well!

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, send our best to Mr. and Mrs. Wolfe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed August 21, 2013

For a long term, low cost hotel room, extended stay America Monrovia can't be beat. Excellent staff and nice clean rooms. i have stayed at this lication now for over 6 months, feels like a home away from home.
Great location close to freeway and dining

• Stayed July 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Monrovia, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful appreciative review. I'm thrilled that your needs are being meet during your extended stay with us and all of the staff has read your survey and WE ALL say " thanks Paul"!

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to continue to welcome you!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one week while looking for an apartment for an assignment at city of hope hospital. My company actually booked this hotel, so I had no say in it but luckily I found an apartment to move into fairly quickly.

The hotel building itself is nice. Hallways are clean and smell nice. The front desk area is ok, but a little cramped with the elevators being right there. Staffing was a problem...I never once had a time at the front desk where either they 'stepped away' or there was a line of people waiting.

The room itself is ok. Sufficient for a shorter term long stay...maybe a couple of weeks. There is a full sized fridge, two electric stove tops and a microwave. One pot and one pan were provided but they proved to be more of a hassle to use as they are the cheapest money can buy, so everything sticks. You get two plates, two bowls...no mixing bowls or other kitchen essentials. Not even a towel to do dishes.

Bed was comfortable, although small. Tv had limited channels and some channels didnt work. Internet was horrendous....I used my phones hot spot to do my video chatting and watching instructional videos for business. Kind of annoying...

Area is amazing. Everything you need is within a 10 minute drive. Lots of places to walk to for food.

One thing that made me never want to return...they have a really bad mold problem. I saw the black mold in the grout between the wall tiles in the tub but knew I was leaving soon so didnt complain. BUT then, I took a bath and my elbow brushed up underneath the soap holder and came away with an abundance of black mold on my skin. I do have asthma and although I did use my inhaler more than usual while staying here, I cannot confirm the mold was the cause. I would advise against staying here if you have breathing difficulties. Its also just gross.

It makes me really angry that I had to pay 150 $ for pet cleaning fees while staying here (I think its 25 per day and caps at 150), but they cannot clean a tub properly. Shame on this hotel for charging an erroneous fee but not fully cleaning the room....this type of mold build up accumulates from MONTHS of growth and not being properly cleaned. I will forward on my complaint to the management and possibly corporate. It sucks that my company paid the pet fee and then took it out of my paycheck but I had to bathe in mold. Disgusting.

Single female traveler. One dog. Travel for 9-10 months out of the year cross-country.

Room Tip: i had a room on the first floor and could hear my upstairs neighbors a lot
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Quendallyn M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Monrovia, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We appreciate the kind comments about the hotel, building and the amenities; however, we apologize that your bathroom was not cleaned to our or your standard. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will take the necessary actions to make sure your experience is not repeated. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at mnv@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 11, 2013

After deciding to have some major repairs done at our home we knew we had to be out of the house for three days... while trying to keep life going forward as "normal". Extended Stay did just that for us. From the making of reservations... and having to change the dates due to construction schedule changes to the greeting at the front desk, our disrupted lives were met with warmth and support. The room was large, the kitchen more than adequate and the bed brought welcomed rest. Oh, did I mentioned that we were asked at check in whether we wanted some microwave popcorn with which to watch some TV?! We could not recommend the staff and facility more highly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GordonGJr
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Monrovia, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Gordon - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm thrilled that you have found a "home away from home" here with us at Extended Stay Monrovia. I'm also glad that our staff provided you with such great service, and even some warm popcorn to enjoy while watching television.

We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed here because is was the most highly rated hotel on Trip Advisor that was available for when we were traveling. I would probably stay here again if I needed to.

This is a pretty basic place oriented toward long stays. Rooms are cleaned once a week, there is a full kitchen, etc. The room was fine -- the sleeping area pretty small (room for only one bedside table), a large closet, basic bathroom, full kitchen. The TV was fine with a moderate choice of channels. Our room overlooked a freeway off ramp, but it was very quiet with no traffic noise at all and there were some nice old oak trees right out our windows.

The grab and go breakfast is pretty basic - breakfast bars, coffee, sanka, tea bags and creamer. Everything is put away at 9:30 am so you need to get there on time.

We had a major problem with the lock on the door. The door would not lock when we checked in and there was no way to fix it until the next morning. The hotel was full so we could not get another room and everything else in the area was booked (I checked) so we stayed there. The entire lock unit was replaced the next morning, but was not programmed correctly so we could not get into our room the following night. We once again had to wait until the next morning until we could have workable keys.

The staff were very friendly, positive, and responsive but they have too much to do for the amount of work they have. We often had to wait in line to speak with them as they were taking all phone calls, handling other requests, etc.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Monterey, California
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The staff was super friendly and very helpful! The location was perfect. Near the freeway and lots of restaurants to choose from within walking distance. Bed comfortable. Clean room. Will definitely stay here again. Can't think of any negatives. This place is a real bargain!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Monrovia, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Julie - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff provided you with such friendly and helpful service. As well, it is great that you liked our location and your clean room.

Monrovia, California
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I am a consultant and some jobs require I stay in a hotel for an extended period. This hotel is designed for it. It is clean, comfortable, and quiet. The beds and pillows are are first rate, and with the recent renovations with fresh paint and carpet and remodeling it's really pleasant. The rates are reasonable for the area, and this is a nice area with a large park within walking distance. On top of all that the real advantage is the stovetop. You can survive eating in resturaunts and out of a microwave for a while. But this place has a full sized refrigerator and a two burner stove. It has real knives and forks, plates and glasses, coffee maker and real cups, pots and pans and cooking utensils. It makes a real difference when you can cook and eat real food.
And I cannot say enough about the staff. Stephanie, Lisette, Sherrie, Stella, Karla, and the rest are friendly, efficient, and professional. They take pride in the facility and they are always ready and willing to help. I have enjoyed my stay here and will look first for an extended stay when I travel on a job and definately stay in this one when I am in this area.

Room Tip: I like the upper floors, and you can see the mountains on the north side.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Monrovia, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm thrilled that all of your needs have been meet and some even exceeded. I will be sure to share your kind comments with the entire staff, including Stephanie, Lisette, Sherrie, Stella and Karla.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to having you with us during the reminder of your reservation!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monrovia
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area
Hampton Inn Los Angeles/Arcadia/Pasadena
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Arcadia
Oak Tree Inn
Oak Tree Inn
#5 of 7 in Monrovia
Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Monrovia
SpringHill Suites Pasadena Arcadia

Been to Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Monrovia? Share your experiences!