“Back country experience w/o backpacks and RV's”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mono Hot Springs
Mono Hot Springs Resort
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Jeff with his son Joe has run this authentic no frills resort for 50 years. If you want to get close up and personal with the backcountry without backpacks and RV's this is the place. It's not perfect but it brings you back to a better time, no tv...we had to play games and had a blast! Outdoor fire pit was a plus. We were able to get an AT&tT connection for the child and husband was able to check business email. Hiking and fishing and hot springs were readily available. Caught a trout the second day. It was only a five minute walk away. We cooked it up that night in our cabin. Enjoyed just relaxing and enjoying the beautiful scenery. Employees were great. Very interactive with the guests. The store had everything you needed. Restaurant food was good. Beer and wine also available. Restaurant staff was very attentive. Outdoor deck and views were delightful. There are a variety of options with cabins with or without cooking some with showers. Overall great outdoor experience. Check out their website for more information.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Mary P

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a review on cabin #14. I am used to backpacking and knew that the accommodation in this "resort" were going to be rustic but we thought that we were going to be able to relax in a quaint, small cabin by the river. We were expecting a nicer and cleaner cabin and more charming and beautiful area. We ended up using the cabin- reluctantly- only to go to sleep. Once you are out of the cabin, the ground is just dust and not even the outdoor table had a view; the grounds were dusty and unkept. The generator noise was a constant background. The cabin had basic amenities but was not very clean and pretty shabby, and the cooking area was dirty; cooking utensils were cheap. I even found old used bandages in the bathroom. The linens / towels were clean but the beds were rickety.
I think that the cabins are overpriced, even thought I appreciate the fact that they are so remote.

Room Tip: Ask about the view, how close to the generator, whether electrical outlets are available (our cabin...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Luis O
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Learned about it from the Weekend Getaway section of LA Times15 years ago - DOGS ARE WELCOMED! Sadly my Aussie died last October, but she and I shared incredible hiking off-leash and swimming in Doris and Tule Lakes near Mono Hot Springs. She would hang her head out the window taking in the forest scents as we followed the narrow, winding road for 18 miles over the most beautiful drive on earth. (Not kidding!!!) Now my granddaughter is sharing the Mono experience. I just made my reservations for four nights in early July. Four nights is perfect - can take enough provisions. The general store, restaurant, bath house, natural hot springs, make this remote location not too remote. We have stayed in rustic cabins and platform tents. (Both very adequate) One last item - come when there is no moon, so you can be treated to the real Milky Way.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Meg L
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Mono HOT Springs is our home away from home. NOT only is the setting awesome and beautiful, but the owner and his family run the business to FIRST of all cater to their clientele. We (husband and I) have gone every year since 1989 and have enjoyed all of their housekeeping cabins which are clean and kept up to par and surrounded by the beauty of the wilderness (they are advertised as rustic and they are) we truly enjoy the accommodations and if we need an extra pot it is made available to us. We catch our limit of fish daily for dinner and on occasion enjoy their dining specials in their restaurant, yum! We love to hike the wilderness areas which are maintained and easily accessible. the original hot springs are across the river, they are enjoyable and HOT! Would we recommend Mono? Absolutely. See you next fall Jeff, Joe, Cody, and Kelly!

Robert and Yolanda. Santa Barbara

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Chequere
Reviewed September 13, 2012

great place for getting away from it all.... it is rustic ~no in room showers.
but the place, and the area are wonderful,
hot springs , bath house, beautiful river... it was built in the 50's so not your modern type of resort
but full of rustic charm

Room Tip: thy have three grades of cabins, get the one with the toilet in side
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danobano
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have been comming to Mono Hot Springs with my family and friends since1976 and wouldn't dreamof not comming to this unique resort every summer. The Winslow family has operated the resort now for 50 years and they always make us feel like family,and their staff is alwas friendly and helpful. We really like the stone campfire pits at each cabin where we can roast marshmallows and enjoy a campfire in the evening. We usually stay in a 2-bedroom family cabin that has good beds,a wonderfull stone fireplace and complete kitchen with an electric refigerator but without other electrical appliances like microwaves and food processors,since,the resort is on it's own generator. The cabins are rustic but always clean and what is really attractive to us is no TV - so you can get your kids, and yourself for that matter,out fishing,swimming,hiking and enjoying all this beautiful wilderness hs to offer without having to compete with TV programs. For the real outdoor enthusiast, you jus can't beat Mono Hot Springs Resort for hiking and fshing. The River has some really good fly fishing. I love the cafes really tasty Buffalo Burgers with some whole wheat buns and lots of "the works" and the Bufalo Ribs are a must try. I personally soak in the hot springs spa more than I should and then a massage by Cherrie's hot stone treatments is almost too relaxing. Too me, this resonably priced remote resort beats any fancy 5- star hotel resort anywhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Having made multiple visits to this site and others in preparation for my trip to Mono Hot Springs provided me with a varied assortment of descriptions. I was a bit shocked to read about so many negative comments especially from those claiming to be seasoned campers...Being an inexperienced camper I was in awe of the entire experience. From the drive up on a single lane road leading to the resort, to the beautiful vistas. I could not imagine a more perfect camping experience. The cabin we shared was rustic with a refirgerator, stove, shower and a futon in the livingroom and a separate bedroom. I was pleasantly surprised with the entire experience. The views from the cabin of the beautiful night sky could offer even the most particular guests an opportunity for escape. The river offered many secluded areas to sit near enough to the water that relaxing with a good book was the only order of the day. Local hikes to surrounding Doris Lake made a perfect balance for exploring the area. The natural hot springs found across the river were inviting and offered a variety of locations, views and water temperatures. The people visiting were all extremely friendly sharing everything from fresh caught fish to conversations. Overall the beauty of the experience far overshadows any negatives.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 31 in Mammoth Lakes
Tamarack Lodge and Resort
Tamarack Lodge and Resort
#6 of 31 in Mammoth Lakes

Been to Mono Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!