“A Gold Rush Era Adventure!!!‎”

The Historic Hotel Leger
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mokelumne Hill
Houston, TX
“A Gold Rush Era Adventure!!!‎”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

I've stayed at the Hotel Leger 4 times in the past year. This my all-time favorite hotel, ever! The staff makes you feel like an old friend and are very courteous. The hotel has a restaurant and saloon for lunch, supper, and night caps. A great breakfast can be had at Frank's, just down the highway less than a minute's drive.

Keep in mind that this is not a Hilton or even a Motel 6. This is a gold rush era hotel, filled with antiques, and is family owned and run. It is a very old building, and their are likely to be things wrong. You may have to walk down the halway to a shared bathroom. You probably won't have more than one outlet. There won't be a hair dryer. The floors will creak and you'll be able to hear, or even feel, the music in the saloon. You may experience a ghostly encounter, though I have not.

If you come here with an attitude toward having an adventure, you certainly will, but if you are expecting the Hilton, you will be sorely dissapointed. I stay here every time I am in the area, and have brought friends and family here to show them this "working museum."

There are some rooms that have two or 3 full-size beds, and have their own bathroom. Some of the rooms share a bathroom with up to 2 other rooms. There are earplugs available, and I suggest you use them, because there is little sound insulation.

The food is Ok, with nothing to write home about, but good enough, and right there so you don't have to go anywhere. The drinks are good and there is a good selection of beer and liquor for mixed drinks and shots. The beds are comfortable, but mostly full-sized, with the exception of the queen bed down in the courtyard suite, which also has its own kitchen and living room.

The oranges are great though hard to get to. The courtyard is lovely. My favorite thing is to sit on the balcony and watch the sun set while talking to family and/or friends.

This is not a place to just stop and rest. It is a destination of itself, and an adventure every time. If you think you can enjoy it for what it is, then I urge you to stop by.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank VaderSS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
lathrop ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

The Leger Hotel 8304 Main st Mokelumne Hill Ca 209/286-1401 A very cool place to stay. The rooms are clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. Their restorations are awesome, time period furniture in all the rooms and through out the hotel. The food is excellent and also reasonably priced. They hold weddings on their beautiful back area that is very lovel and peaceful. Theres plenty of things to do in the area and you will find this historic hotel a great place to stay. Friendly staff sees to your needs and makes your stay welcoming and comfortable. enjoy. ;)

Dana Lathrop Ca

4 Thank danalathrop
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2008

For a unique Gold Rush experience, this hotel is a must do! The rooms are quiet and very well looked after with antique furniture from the Gold Rush. Staff's service was exceptional there. It as like being part of a a local family for one night. Very good surprise as well at the hotel's restaurant: everything is homemade for a very fair price and the dinner I had was the best of our 3 weeks stay in California. Memorable.

• Liked — the place & staff's kindness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank potemkine
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2008

If you're seriously wanting to stay at haunted hotel like me and my friends/family were... you HAVE TO CHECK THIS HAUNTED HOTEL OUT!
I'm sure it was a very lovely place, but when you arrive at 10pm like us, we couldn't think of any other thoughts besides CREEPY. The upstairs rooms were beautifully decorated... but very, very chilling in a ghostly sense. We searched for 2 weeks and spent thousands of dollars to find and stay at the scariest hotel in california and nothing compared to this place. We arrived at 10pm and checked out at 1am? We originally reserved rooms 7 and 2 but then switched room 7 to room 1 because the room was very tiny and room 2 was closer to room 1... and when you're staying at this hotel you're going to want to be as close to anyone as possible!
Bottom line-- Room 1 IS, not supposibly, haunted. We expierenced a not so friendly ghost and that's what caused us to leave so early. Still, we are planning on going back to experience more of this phenomenon.
I don't know much about the other rooms because we spent most of our time in room 1.

Things to remember:
Room 2 is big and beautiful... kind of creepy once you hear all the stories of what people have experienced in that room though.
Room 7 is too small.. I wouldn't expect too much ghostly activity from there, but who knows.
Creepy ghost town, meaning old & abandoned pretty much.
Out in the middle of nowhere.. but worth the drive.

I WANT TO GO BACK ASAP!!!! So much fun.. want to expierence more next time.

Stayed December 2007
4 Thank Kali123
Sacramento CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2007

I found this hotel online and tried to book a room. The booking site said rooms were unavailable but when I called they had rooms open. It was a quaint hotel in Gold Country in a building that is 150 years old. The rooms were simple but comfortable, nicely decorated and the staff was very pleasant. We were coming down to see a concert at the Jackson Rancheria and I wanted to treat my girlfriend to a unique stay. She enjoyed the atmosphere and the place was nothing like some of the negative reviews online. If you want a simple place to stay in a unique and historical setting I recommend it. The owners and staff were very nice and we enjoyed our stay there,

• Stayed August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ticog
Concord, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2007

I visited the Hotel Leger previously and really enjoyed it. The location was nice, the rooms beautiful and it was a great mid point for my trip. Going back up to Gold Country I was excited to get a chance to go back to this wonderful hotel.

Unfortunately things have changed quite a bit. I knew it couldn’t have been a good sign that they gave us ear plugs on check in and our breakfast was left in our room…two boxes of travel sized cereal (they didn’t supply milk or bowls in the morning to go with it).

The hotel was LOUD. There was a band playing in the attached bar that night and the walls of the hotel didn’t muffle it at all. On top of that the party spilled out on the street and we were treated to the “conversations” of many people including a couple that had just broken up and the woman was threatening to call the cops. On top of all these when the bar finally closed down those that were too drunk to drive themselves home were sent into the hotel portion of the building to wait for their ride where they yelled up and down the hallway about how drunk/drugged they were. That, more than anything else, was the most upsetting. The noise from the band and street were unfortunate but the fact that the patrons of the bar were shuttled into the hotel (which is a closed off section from the bar) where people were trying to sleep made it seem that the hotel just didn’t care about its paying guests. In fact, it really seems like the hotel is courting the biker crowd to fill the bar and bring in money rather than the hotel guests.

Unfortunately I will not be going back to the Hotel Leger, which is really too bad because it is a charming hotel, when it’s not overwhelmingly loud.

Just a couple of notes. I saw a review that said that there were no private baths. This is not true. Several of the rooms do not have an attached bath and the bathroom for the room is on the hall, but it is a bathroom designated for a specific room. The other rooms have private bathrooms attached to the room itself. Also, there is no breakfast provided, which is important to know because the nearest restaurants are in either Jackson or San Andreas (which doesn’t have much). The hotel had two carafes of hot water and some tea bags sitting out in the hallway and, as I mentioned earlier, they gave two boxes of dry cereal to each guest when we checked in, but nothing to eat it with.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank akwilson
s calif
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2007

I previously enjoyed this place so much that I made a last minute decision to detour off the I-5 and stay overnight. Well worth a few extra miles for the change of scenery. This time I noticed how comfortable the bed was and how the room was so clean for a historic hotel. The gal at the front desk had a dinner ordered and ready for me, since the kitchen had just closed, and they set out a lovely fruit bowl and pastries in the morning for "Errol" and me. They warmly welcomed my African Grey parrot who was quite at home there too.

Stayed June 2007
Hotel Sutter
Hotel Sutter
#2 of 2 in Sutter Creek
BEST WESTERN Cedar Inn & Suites

Been to The Historic Hotel Leger? Share your experiences!