“If you want a haunted hotel, this is IT!”

The Historic Hotel Leger
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mokelumne Hill
Orlando
“If you want a haunted hotel, this is IT!”
Reviewed April 3, 2008

If you're seriously wanting to stay at haunted hotel like me and my friends/family were... you HAVE TO CHECK THIS HAUNTED HOTEL OUT!
I'm sure it was a very lovely place, but when you arrive at 10pm like us, we couldn't think of any other thoughts besides CREEPY. The upstairs rooms were beautifully decorated... but very, very chilling in a ghostly sense. We searched for 2 weeks and spent thousands of dollars to find and stay at the scariest hotel in california and nothing compared to this place. We arrived at 10pm and checked out at 1am? We originally reserved rooms 7 and 2 but then switched room 7 to room 1 because the room was very tiny and room 2 was closer to room 1... and when you're staying at this hotel you're going to want to be as close to anyone as possible!
Bottom line-- Room 1 IS, not supposibly, haunted. We expierenced a not so friendly ghost and that's what caused us to leave so early. Still, we are planning on going back to experience more of this phenomenon.
I don't know much about the other rooms because we spent most of our time in room 1.

Things to remember:
Room 2 is big and beautiful... kind of creepy once you hear all the stories of what people have experienced in that room though.
Room 7 is too small.. I wouldn't expect too much ghostly activity from there, but who knows.
Creepy ghost town, meaning old & abandoned pretty much.
Out in the middle of nowhere.. but worth the drive.

I WANT TO GO BACK ASAP!!!! So much fun.. want to expierence more next time.

Stayed December 2007
4 Thank Kali123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Sacramento CA
Reviewed August 26, 2007

I found this hotel online and tried to book a room. The booking site said rooms were unavailable but when I called they had rooms open. It was a quaint hotel in Gold Country in a building that is 150 years old. The rooms were simple but comfortable, nicely decorated and the staff was very pleasant. We were coming down to see a concert at the Jackson Rancheria and I wanted to treat my girlfriend to a unique stay. She enjoyed the atmosphere and the place was nothing like some of the negative reviews online. If you want a simple place to stay in a unique and historical setting I recommend it. The owners and staff were very nice and we enjoyed our stay there,

• Stayed August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ticog
Concord, California
Reviewed August 5, 2007

I visited the Hotel Leger previously and really enjoyed it. The location was nice, the rooms beautiful and it was a great mid point for my trip. Going back up to Gold Country I was excited to get a chance to go back to this wonderful hotel.

Unfortunately things have changed quite a bit. I knew it couldn’t have been a good sign that they gave us ear plugs on check in and our breakfast was left in our room…two boxes of travel sized cereal (they didn’t supply milk or bowls in the morning to go with it).

The hotel was LOUD. There was a band playing in the attached bar that night and the walls of the hotel didn’t muffle it at all. On top of that the party spilled out on the street and we were treated to the “conversations” of many people including a couple that had just broken up and the woman was threatening to call the cops. On top of all these when the bar finally closed down those that were too drunk to drive themselves home were sent into the hotel portion of the building to wait for their ride where they yelled up and down the hallway about how drunk/drugged they were. That, more than anything else, was the most upsetting. The noise from the band and street were unfortunate but the fact that the patrons of the bar were shuttled into the hotel (which is a closed off section from the bar) where people were trying to sleep made it seem that the hotel just didn’t care about its paying guests. In fact, it really seems like the hotel is courting the biker crowd to fill the bar and bring in money rather than the hotel guests.

Unfortunately I will not be going back to the Hotel Leger, which is really too bad because it is a charming hotel, when it’s not overwhelmingly loud.

Just a couple of notes. I saw a review that said that there were no private baths. This is not true. Several of the rooms do not have an attached bath and the bathroom for the room is on the hall, but it is a bathroom designated for a specific room. The other rooms have private bathrooms attached to the room itself. Also, there is no breakfast provided, which is important to know because the nearest restaurants are in either Jackson or San Andreas (which doesn’t have much). The hotel had two carafes of hot water and some tea bags sitting out in the hallway and, as I mentioned earlier, they gave two boxes of dry cereal to each guest when we checked in, but nothing to eat it with.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank akwilson
s calif
Reviewed June 29, 2007

I previously enjoyed this place so much that I made a last minute decision to detour off the I-5 and stay overnight. Well worth a few extra miles for the change of scenery. This time I noticed how comfortable the bed was and how the room was so clean for a historic hotel. The gal at the front desk had a dinner ordered and ready for me, since the kitchen had just closed, and they set out a lovely fruit bowl and pastries in the morning for "Errol" and me. They warmly welcomed my African Grey parrot who was quite at home there too.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank lady_hd_rider
Fremont,ca
Reviewed March 25, 2007

Seems our stay at the Leger was not as pleasant as those before us. It is true, the walls are paper thin and you can hear every little noise. You have to share the bathroom with 3 other rooms, so be prepared. Personally, I did not get any sleep. The bikers were out of control - yelling, pounding on the doors and walls and generally misbehaving like the hotel was their own personal "animal house". The only "ghost" we heard was a drunken biker yelling in the hallway "I am the ghost of 1851" at 1am. There was even a used condom hung on the doorknob of one room. To be fair, the grounds are nicely kept and perhaps if you stay during the week (NOT on Saturday night!), the hotel would be peaceful and quiet. Bottom line - if you like wild biker parties, rundown rooms and a sleepless night, this is the place for you!

• Stayed March 2007
5 Thank Fremontguy07
california
Reviewed November 14, 2006

The Hotel Leger is a great place to stay, the rooms are filled with antiques and the beds are great. Their bar is like you'd see on the old Westerns, you half expect Clint Eastwood or John Wayne to mosey up and buy a round for the house!!
The restaurant is superb, normally we skip in-house eateries, but at the Hotel Leger, the food and service is top notch and the prices are great, in fact I think they are too low but they set the prices.
There are some great wineries nearby, right across Hwy 49 is the best kept secret in Moke Hill, its called French Hill Winery and they pair up with the hotel to do dinners and their wine is featured at the hotel. Ask for Denny or Rod, they'll treat you right.
All in all, we have stayed there 10X or more, its always fun and a great value for the price.

• Liked — Historical rooms, great food and drinks
  • Disliked — Nothing, its a great place
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat at the restaurant and go to the nearby wineries
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank clayhammer
Southern California
Reviewed September 9, 2006

Hotel was very interesting but antique furniture in our room was broken, no fans in rooms and air was not working well, no glasses or ice bucket in room but were provided upon request. Pool was very dirty and non-useable. Other than these small incontinences, the hotel was charming; dining was excellent with terrific wines. The owners and staff did not spend the night at the hotel; we were the only people there. At approximately 2 A.M. a child was heard giggling. We may have heard from one of their resident ghosts.
We stayed in Room 2, which was constructed without doors to the balcony, which overlooked the town’s main street. To get on to the balcony, we climbed through the large sash windows the old fashioned way, through the approximately 18 inch thick wall. We had fun and expect to return, maybe to the room with the giggling next time.
If I could split the rating:
the furniture was a 2,
the remainder of the room was a 4 (large and charming),
the staff a 5,
and the restaurant a 5.

• Liked — Charming, quaint, not cookie-cutter, different, eclectic, an adventure, no television or phones
  • Disliked — broken antique sofa and table
  • Tips/Secrets — There are no phones or television and few electrical outlets. This is an old building and has been kept in that flavor. Don't look for a modern hotel, this is an older building and isn't that why you are choosing it? Prepare for an adventure, not the norm. By all means stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
Hotel Sutter
Hotel Sutter
#2 of 2 in Sutter Creek
Best Western Plus Cedar Inn & Suites

Been to The Historic Hotel Leger? Share your experiences!