“Surprised and Relieved”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Mojave
Sloughhouse
“Surprised and Relieved”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

I had planned to stay the night in Tehachapi as I was heading home on Hwy 58. The CHP closed the road due to snow, though. I detoured to Mojave to get a room. Motel 6 was the first I found and it was filling quickly. I admit I'm somewhat of a hotel snob, I don't seek out cheaper ones. But I thought "what the heck, it's an emergency". Imagine my surprise to find a very simple but incredibly clean and tidy room. It was on the ground floor, so I was able to back my car up to within 6 feet of the door. It was also close to the train tracks. That didn't bother me a bit. It was really cold and the heater was chugging away all night, like white noise it muffled all the outside sounds. I went right to sleep on the semi comfortable bed. This was less like the typical hotel experience and more like staying overnight in Aunt Patty's spare room, but I have no complaints. The guy at the check in desk was great. I discovered more hotels as I left town the next day, but I'd stay at this one again.

Room Tip: Bring your own shampoo and, if you're a light sleeper, ear plugs.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CosumneJan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Carlsbad, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

clean rooms NO ELEVATORS but plenty of rooms on the ground floor.close to stater bros grocery they have an excellent selection of food.they have gone out of their way to help people with disablities.i have had trouble with the internet that does not work.make sure you ask for the room close to the router.of not you will drag and drag as you wait in line for your internet response.

Room Tip: rooms close to road the trains volume are louder,try the north side of the motel.plenty of parking a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Gloucester Point
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed one night at Motel 6 in Mojave. Clean, comfortable room. Nice bathroom and tub/shower combo. They supply soap but no shampoo. Room was clean. Old stye TV but ok. Free parking. Close to a nice restaurant, Primo Burger. Lady at check in was personable, friendly and most helpful. Located within easy drive to Red Rock Canyon and Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills. Nice half way stop between LA and Lone Pine. Great value. Less than $40 for the two of us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Staff. . . .EHH! Rooms are tiny tiny and THIN WALLS! !!! We got to hear everyone conversations in rooms next to us, outside, upstairs and down the street. But the worst worst thing was the VERY LOUD TRAIN THAT PASSES EVERY HOUR!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank refreshway

Travelers are raving about these Mojave hotels

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed here at the end of March and were happy with our stay. The staff were friendly and we were able to use the laundry - our top-level motel in LA didn't even have a laundry and I would have had to spend time sitting in a laundramat which I didn't want to do so it was good to have one here. I was worried that there might be too much noise here in Mojave as some of the other reviews mentioned that. And being a light sleeper, well .. Anyway, the motel was fine. There is a railroad nearby but a train only went by two or three times so it didn't cause too much of a problem. I did wake up (light sleeper) but went right back to sleep. My wife and son didn't even notice it. So I am glad that we stayed here as it was very convenient for the rest of our journey north to Lake Tahoe.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Luton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

What can you say - its a very typical M6 with the same standard of accommodation and guest as every other M6. That said, its the third time I've stayed here and never had any problems so they must be doing something right. Check in as ever was quick.

Snacks & beers available from the petrol (gas) station directly opposite. More substantial food available elsewhere in Mojave.

Trains right outside are noisy but I managed to sleep through them.

Check out the freaky sight of the airplane bone yard next door in the early morning sun!

Will I be back? You betchya!

Room Tip: No elevator so if struggling with luggage etc ask for a ground (or first to Americans) floor room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Mojave
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I've been traveling quite a bit recently for business and this was one of the first locations I've stayed at. With my experience I do not understand how anybody is willing to give more than 2 or 3 stars for the services here. I'll try to keep my review simple and legible here.

-When I first arrived at the location it seemed fine, they were advertising WiFi and was one of the cheaper priced stays in the area. Overall the place looked rather decent at first glanced. I checked in, got my card, dropped my luggage in the room and went to get something to eat. When I came back I felt like I was in a Tyler Perry movie. There were 2 individuals in front of my room who were in a confrontation about what I believe to be a child support payment. 4 or 5 doors down there was another individual who made it very clear to the entire complex he was speaking to his "n1ga".

I was rather upset with the room. It was depressed looking and small. The TV was begging to be recycled and the bed looked like it was just pulled out of the dumpser. I will say that the room was indeed clean and went about my work.

I had to run down to the desk to pay for my WiFi in order to send out a few E-mails and play my Internet Radio. The WiFi speeds here are not sufficient, a quick Speedtest.net and my speeds were around .300 MB down and .1 Up. This is completely unacceptable, for those not familiar with data speeds. Good luck watching a youtube video here, or streaming netflix, it won't work. I had to tether my phones "edge" connection in order to get my stuff done.

All hours of the night there were people running up and down my stairs and yelling about. On top of that, any sort of slight wind or even if the neighbor was walking around my room would violently shake. The TV would squeak like a mouse and the picture frame would rattle against the wall. With the lack of sleep and the feeling of my door being broken down by some hooligans after my gaming laptop, I couldn't sleep. The shower was refreshing until I had to use the 80 grit sandpaper they call a "towel" here.

Do yourself a huge favor and drive a few miles down the road, this is a very different atmosphere and there are more hotels to check out.

Anyways, hope this helps.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mojave
Motel 6 Mojave - Airport
Mariah Country Inn & Suites
BEST WESTERN Desert Winds
Americas Best Value Inn
BEST WESTERN California City Inn & Suites
Desert Inn
Desert Inn
#3 of 8 in Mojave

Been to Motel 6 Mojave? Share your experiences!