“DON'T miss this place!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Mojave
West Hollywood, California
“DON'T miss this place!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I drive through Mojave several times a year but for whatever reason, I'd never stopped at Stoken Donuts and Deli before. It's in an old library building off the main drag, but not too far. Belshaw Street is the right turn before Day's Inn (that's how I remembered it). Street parking is plentiful. The place is small, just a counter and some tables, but it's very clean (including the restroom) and the staff is super friendly. As I was new, I asked the young man at the counter what he thought was the best thing on the menu--he suggested I try the Cuban sandwich. Now, I've had a lot of those in my day but this one was absolutely perfect. Not too much or too little of any ingredient--perfectly pressed so it didn't fall apart when you bit into it. For those who like Cuban sandwiches, you know what I mean about the falling apart thing. This was well-balanced and absolutely delicious. If I wasn't trying to be a lady, I might have shoved the whole thing in my mouth at once. Even the small side of chili beans that came with it was flavorful and a good complement.

I did not try the donuts on this visit, but I will when I go through later this summer and update my review then. For now, if you're going through Mojave, skip the ordinary (but predictable) chain restaurants and turn right on Belshaw Street. If you're a meat eater, I highly recommend the Cuban--but I'm willing to bet everything on the menu is pretty solid. I look forward to trying it all during future visits to the area. The prices are very reasonable considering how good the food is. Check it out!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank DeAnna Z

AV, California
“Perfection - Off the Beaten Path”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stoken is just behind the Shell Station off Hwy 58/Sierra Hwy in an old, white library building. When you step through the door there is a large donut case to the left of the register, but back behind the counter there is a hand-written menu just filled with different sandwiches and soups. These aren't the cheapest sandwiches but they are absolutely worth a few extra bucks. RIght when you come in the door, find a small collection of mini clip-boards and mini-gold pencils next to some sandwich order sheets. There, you can mark what fixings you do and don't want on your sandwich. On par with the sandwiches, the soups are bowls of homemade awesomeness served with a side of dipping toast.
What about the donuts? Okay, the donuts are very very good, too, but all the locals who work in the area come for pastrami or buffalo chicken soup or gumbo or tri-tip, and then maybe a donut for dessert.

• Visited May 2014