“Avoid at all costs - it's a residence for itinerant workers” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Mojave
South Lake Tahoe, California
“Avoid at all costs - it's a residence for itinerant workers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We got no sleep.

The best part of this motel is that it is across from an incredibly noisy train line that runs 24 hours a day. The soothing sounds of freight trains helped drown out the noise of all the rowdy construction workers that are packed 4 to a room.

We were the only travelers staying at this sketchy motel. Aside from all the construction workers, there were a few families living there as well. One room had 6 people in it: 2 adults and 4 children.

We seriously didn't sleep, as the room above us (4 construction workers) partied all night (I mean ALL night) and were either wrestling or throwing things. It went on until 4 am.

At 6 am a crew of 6 or 8 guys stood in front of the room next to ours talking, joking and laughing at the top of their lungs. It happened again at 7 am for the room on the other side.

At 9 am the guys above us started again, standing on the walkway drinking beer, flicking cigarettes over the railing and stumbling up and down the stairs.

Even if it weren't for the guys above us that sounded like they were doing gymnastic floor exercises or perhaps auditioning for Riverdance, the walls were so thin you could clearly hear the conversation of the room on either side. Let's just say there were things I wish I hadn't heard.

The motel itself is dirty. It's threadbare, with stained walls, sticky doors and chipped tile. There was mold in the shower and the carpets were filthy. Towels were stained, the sheets were ancient. Just - ick.

My husband booked this fleabag online, and had we known just how bad it would be we'd have eaten the cost and gotten a room anywhere else.

Room Tip: Avoid!! This place is nasty.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Monarch B
ABVIManager_13, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your stay here. We welcome any suggestions and comments that help us be a better hotel. When you checked out we gave you guys a refund for the night. We hope that you give you another chance in the future. Thank you for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Brookfield, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

the man at the desk was very nice.the room looked good then when we were in there a few minutes i found two dead roaches it kind of horrified me i had visions of lots of these getting in our stuff.the room was ground floor he showed me an upstairs room or very nicely said i could have my money back no problem he was very apologetic i decided that as it was the desert and they were dead.i would stay put . we never saw any other bugs that were alive or dead . and it actually ended up being one of the better rooms . there seemed to be a lot of work crews staying there and it was very quiet.the pool was really to small to be worth using more just for kids.but overall not bad at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This motel is a good choice. The staff is very courteous and accommodating. Nice selection of DVDs and a well kept pool. Close to train tracks but rooms are quiet. We would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
Concord, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

The only way NOT to be disappointed is to expect the worst! Low-end, horribly noisy road motel at its worst.
Thin walls made me hear every single word from my neighbor's room even when they were not loud [and worse when they became louder]. Noise isolation simply non-existent; Cargo trains pass frequently during the night, and one feels as if they pass under one's pillow. Even the horribly noisy, old heating/cooling system could not mask the outside noises [or other rooms' noises], but every time it went into operation I woke up. I usually sleep VERY soundly. Room was decently clean but the old decor, furniture and bad maintenance made it feel dirty. Unfortunately, my room smelled strongly as well, as I believe will all rooms at this end of the motel [nearer to the office].
I would try ANY other option in town, if I ever have to stay in Mojave again, and I suggest you do too.

Room Tip: another motel, maybe another town if not forced to stay in Mojave - cargo train traffic is constant...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank ernani_99

Travelers are raving about these Mojave hotels

Winston Salem, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I liked the proprietor of this motel very much, and it had free internet too. Beyond that, it was nothing but bad news. The parking spaces were too narrow, the room was small and overcrowded with useless furniture, like the small table that one would be afraid to sit anything on because it was so unstable. The blower for the air conditioner has to be the loudest I've ever heard, ruining everything from conversation to TV. The sink faucet was so hard to turn on that my wife couldn't turn it on by herself, and it had hot and cold reversed. There was one small piece of soap, and the rest of the stuff was the liquid variety. If you don't like that, you're out of luck. The wallpaper was ripped, the light over the sink was missing its cover, and so forth. The "continental breakfast" consisted of a tray with four wrapped grocery store buns and a carafe of coffee, watched over like a hawk. The TV was dusty and the floor itself, while it didn't look particularly bad, made me want to keep my socks on. In short, this, my fourth Americas Best Value Inn on my trip, made me think that I don't want to take a chance on this brand anymore. It's rated either a 3 or a 4 by the company, and that is just a joke. It makes even Motel 6 look like luxury.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Pahrump, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Pets allowed. Clean rooms. Not overpriced. Near a restaurant.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
abvi300, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with other travelers. We take all responses very seriously and we are happy that you found us to be of good value, clean, and with a friendly staff. We look forward to your return visit.

Victor Vora
Manager
Los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

I usually pass through Mojave for business issues and I used to stay in Days Inn. It was really expensive for me so I thought to try this place and l am glad I came here. This place has everything I need such as high speed wi-fi, microwave and fridge for about $45 a night. Rooms are very neat and clean and staff is very helpful. I would really recommend this place if you are coming to mojave area.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank carolsmithley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mojave
Motel 6 Mojave - Airport
La Quinta Inn Tehachapi
La Quinta Inn Tehachapi
#5 of 9 in Tehachapi
3.5 of 5 stars 252 reviews

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!