“Quaint Seafood Restaurant in the Farm Lands”

Farmer's Catfish House
Ranked #55 of 501 Restaurants in Modesto
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Modesto, California
“Quaint Seafood Restaurant in the Farm Lands”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Myself and two friends ate here last week. I had been wanting to try this restaurant for a number of years as I had been intrigued by both its location (out in the country), the seafood menu and the supposedly great reviews of the place. We arrived in time to get the "senior" special which for $8.00 included a main course, beans, rice and dessert. The restaurant also provides an "appetizer" for every table which included hush puppies, french fries and cole slaw. I believe the senior special is good from 4:00 - 6:00. The restaurant is quite small and the tables rather close together. I found it difficult to hear my friends talk due to the loudness inside the room. The service was efficient and friendly. As for the food, we found it to be quite average. I ordered catfish which was good but not great. The beans and rice that came with it were just okay. I especially liked the hush puppies and french fries that came before the meal, they were rather tasty. The peach cobbler with ice cream was not that good but I ate it and it was a nice finish to the meal. I must say, that fried food does not sit that well on my stomach and the whole meal was either fried or starchy. One of my friends got a shrimp meal and my other friend the regular catfish meal which was approximately $15.00 and came with more fish than my catfish "senior" meal. The $8.00 price was very good, even though portions were not large, with all the different food items though it was definitely enough food. I would probably not eat here again given I was not enamored with the food or atmosphere but glad I finally got to try this little restaurant out in the farm lands.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank MSWMom50

Modesto, California
“Didn't live up to the hype”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

After listening to all my friends gush about how great this place is, finally gave it a try. My stomach is way to Asian. Typical American food. Too rich & greasy. Not what my palate is into.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank FoodLover013
modesto
“gator”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

the steak is so large, one person can not finish it, the deep fried gator is a must, go early the place gets packed quick, excellent

1 Thank chrispy1954
“Fish”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Very small, cramped tables. Waitstaff is friendly. I was prepared to be amazed but the food was mediocre at best. Small portions for the price.

1 Thank Paulette H
“Greasy fish”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Other long time patrons will disagree but I found the whole entire menu to be pretty greasy and unappetizing. Won't go back