“Something new, good and different!”
Review of Concetta

Concetta
Ranked #6 of 510 Restaurants in Modesto
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We (me and my girlfriend) had a really great meal here at Concetta. The service was great, with a not to busy server chatting and helping us to choose between dishes. The atmosphere was great with a genuine feeling in a cosy environment.
We ended up eating 4 dishes and 2 desserts!
Brussel Sprouts with cranberries and bacon was magically good and really unique in its kind.
The chicken with a butter tasting polenta was great (could not stop eating even though this was our last course) and also something new taste wise. The ribs was the best ribs I have had with the meat simply falling off the bone, served with a sweet appricot sauce and mashed potatoes. The salmon was good with a garlic aioli (but nothing special).
The desserts was good with the favorite - a plain cheesecake served with cream.
I can really recommend this place and I would go there again next time i pit-stop in Modesto before the Yosemite.

1  Thank poromaa

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Came here last night with a group of 16 ladies. It was our first time here, and I think we all liked it. I had the pizza and it was awesome! I also had the cheese plate, it was good but overpriced for what you get. I tried the cheese raviolis, they were also good. We will be back to try some of the other dishes. What a fun restaurant. Very friendly server!

Reviewed July 11, 2012

we were part of a tour of western usa & stayed in modesto for 1 night. I had researched restuarants near all our hotels before leaving the uk & fancied concettafrom the reviews I like tapas & was not disappointed .A group of 6 went on a saturday night without booking .the place was packed but we didnt have to wait long before paul ( owner)persuaded diners who had finished their meal to move up & made a table for 6 for us.The food was excellent as was the service though paul frequently persuaded yoy to change an order to try something he thinks you will also like ( usually right).All thought we had an enjoyable night at a suprisingly decent price.about the same price we would have paid at our local tapas at home.Probably the best VFM we had on our tour as we all thought the usa had become pricey

1  Thank bobjune
Reviewed April 13, 2012

It's nearly midnight, earlier a group I was with spent close to $100 at Concetta's, and yet I'm having to make myself a snack because I haven't eaten all day.

I should explain, I was in a party of four, we were a bit rushed for time as we had a show to go a few doors down at the State. We explained this to the waitress who said it would be no problem. We had about 45 minutes to the show. "Is that cool?" Yeah, it's cool, is the response.

So the waitress takes us through the specials. The pizza special sounded good, but one problem, it had truffle oil in it. I asked if they could make it without, my wife has a bad allergy to it, even the smell just groses her out. No biggie if they can't do it, I can always order something else, but the waitress assures me it's no problem. She acknowledges that we're in a hurry and says she'll put the order in with the kitchen straight away.

Fast forward 15-20 minutes, all the other orders come out. Not my order, maybe it'll take a little longer. Again, no biggie. There's still time. The waitress wouldn't be steering me wrong, right? Right?

Another twenty minutes goes by. Finally, the waitress comes over. This is a big deal by this point, it's like a Presidential visit, I had been trying to get her attention for some time but the staff at Concetta's seem to like avoiding eye contact, they much prefer spending their time at empty tables fiddling with the napkins and rearranging silverware. Perhaps it's their special place where they can feel a zen-like calm. It's certainly preferable than dealing with those full tables where annoying bozos say things like "where's my pizza?" Anyway the waitress is here now and she says she'll send the check over as she knows we need to leave soon.
Being a dumb bozo I say, "um...where's the pizza?
"We haven't forgot, it's a special order for the kitchen to make, it takes them longer."
She's right, it does indeed take longer. A lot longer.

What we have here is failure at Common Sense #101. Now I admit I've never had the extensive training that the owners of Concetta's give their staff, but I would have thought that when a customer says they only have 45 minutes to eat and they order an item that takes 45 minutes to make, maybe it would be a good idea to get, or at the very least suggest to that customer that they might like to reorder.

Annoyingly and unforgivably, no apology was given and I was made to feel very awkward in asking them to take that item off the bill. Heck, I don't even need the apology to be sincere, lie if you have to, imagine garroting me with cheese wire when you say it if need be, but just say sorry. I would have still been hungry, but I would have been less pissed off than I am now.

I certainly won't be back. Have been before when I've actually managed to have something to eat. The good reviews on here say more about the paucity of competition in Modesto than anything this place actually does well. In Modesto it's easy for an ugly duckling to be mistaken for a swan.

2  Thank Windy614
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Honestly, Concetta is the best place in town. It's consistently excellent food, great chef, creative, delicious and food for foodies. Great wine selection and low key, local joint feel. Only criticism: they need to work on the very unwelcoming and cold design of the second dining area...it reminds me of sitting in my doctor's waiting area. But I'd still eat there over ANY other place in Modesto if I had to chose.

1  Thank Turdlocker