“Has great potential but unfortunately is poorly managed.”

Clarion Inn Conference Center
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Modesto
Bedford, England
“Has great potential but unfortunately is poorly managed.”
Reviewed August 27, 2006

My review comes from a "first time in USA Englishman" view point so forgive me if some details seem old to the more experienced among us.
The Red Lion appears to cater better for conference / tour guests etc. than for families. Shame, really, as our family was staying.

By all acounts its recent renovation has breathed new life into the hotel. However the obviously installed A/C can be noisy even when switched off due to connecting ducts which are covered by unfinished bare wood. This clearly needs addressing. As do the run-down BBQ, play area, basketball and tennis courts. These could be really nice (and used more) if redesigned.

One aspect that is really pretty is the indoor atrium. However, the space here could be put to better, more comfortable and therefore more regular use too. It's 'heated' indoor pool was very cold, and the hot tub was very hot. Also some of the wood near the hot tub has obviously seen better days.

The fitness equipment (those that work) are very useful, but again do not seem to be used as much as perhaps they could.

Now for the really disapointing parts:
1. On our first morning, having booked in at 1a.m. we planned to
use the restaurant as indicated in their literature from our
room (breakfast / brunch 6:30 - 1 p.m.), only to be told it
stopped serving at 11a.m. This proved very inconvenient. We
also witnessed other guests being served after 11a.m. on
other days.

3. On a Saturday morning, a large tour group were served
breakfast in the atrium at 6:30 a.m. This area is right in the
middle of the hotel, and their noise disturbed us a great deal.
When I complained about this (this takea a lot for me, I usually
can put up with a lot) I received no apology for my
inconvenience, despite my offering the suggestion that other
large rooms used for conferences etc. would have been a
better choice, as they are sited away from the rooms. I received
no feedback regarding the complaint / suggestion process,
and no reply either. Neither was I impressed at being allowed
to voice disatissfaction in front of other guests, as oposed to a
private and productive discussion being used.

2. The hotel tried to charge us for damaged property (small
items), which they argued and argued about, but could not
justify, so took off the bill.

Could od better, much better.

• Liked — Lokk of the atrium
  • Disliked — The way it is managed
  • Tips/Secrets — Move on
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Elstow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Pacific Northwest
Reviewed August 1, 2006

This property was run-down, carpets stained, short of towels (management was searching for towels already when I reported that there were none in my room) bathroom floor filthy - the white groute between the tiles were actually shades of gray and black, tub still had a glob of soap from previous usage. On top of all that, they charged outrageously for the room - more than I have ever paid at Red Lion. Disgusting experience, one that will hav e me thinking twice before just booking accomodations at a Red Lion property, assuming that the Red Lion name stands for quality and cleanliness. Hah!

Stayed July 2006

Travelers are raving about these Modesto hotels

California
Reviewed July 25, 2006

The 3 days that I was there for a training was a most unpleasant experience. The air conditioning in the room was woefully inadequate, and no better than a fan. The restaurant did not have air conditioning at all, so you just sweated while dining.
I had to get new room card keys daily, because they just stopped working.
Noisy crickets/grasshoppers found their way into the room.
Air conditioning in the training area rooms would fail after 2-3 hours, the speaker system worked intermitantly.
Hotel staff did try to be helpful, but I had the impression that they were mostly new, and needed additional training, as they continually tried to figure out how to get things done or taken care of.
I definitely would not recommend this facility.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 28, 2006

The Red Lion Inn in Modesto was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The television did not work, nor the telephone, the toilet didn't flush, and there was absolutely no water pressure. Just wondering what it is they do offer? Certainly, the pool area looks nice, but if the rooms are bad, how long can they charge the high prices? Some rooms may have been upgraded, but we were in a room that appeared similar to a barracks.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Modesto, California
Reviewed May 25, 2006

I have stayed at The Red Lion a couple of times in the last few years. While the building is older the new management is bringing it back to life. The rooms have new beds and decor. New carpets everywhere, new airconditioners. The indoor and outdoor pools are looking great. The business center finally has a computer, although the printer never seems to have ink. Also all of the tacky rockwall is gone.

The place is still obviously under construction, but it's going well. The staff is always accomodating and friendly. If you're looking for a relaxing place to stay I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank ChrisandMario
Malibu, CA
Reviewed May 16, 2006

This hotel looks like it needed renovations 30 years ago. The carpet is faded where the sun hits it; the furniture looks like old formica from a downtown thrift store; the air conditioner made the room smell like the inside of a vacuum cleaner; the wallpaper is lumpy and even the digital phone was so burned out that the time read as "[ L' ["

I'd like to report that the hospitality and graciousness of the staff made up for the physical facility, but I can't. I had my initial doubts when it took me 20 minutes to check in (with only four people in line) when one of the clerks left the desk and the other checked out some issue on the phone in slow motion. When I got to my room, the wireless internet I needed didn't work. The clerk said that the router would be "reset" (that is, plugged out and pugged in again) when the "engineer" had time -- which he never did all night or the next day, despite my complaints. I finally picked up a signal at the pool -- where, by the way, the plastic furnishings are cracked and gritty.

When in Modesto, stay at the Doubletree; it's first rate. If they're booked, Courtyard by Marriott is good. If you shop, they will cost about the same as this place

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank jsm6
Petaluma, CA
Reviewed March 12, 2006

We stayed at the Red Lion last weekend. We went with our daughters soccer team. I realize the hotel is going under renovations, however what we found would not be due to any construction.

When we arrived, our first room was very small and dark. The beds were doubles and dipped in the middle. I understand those beds have not been replaced yet. Since we had 4 people staying 2 nights, we felt the need to upgrade. The people at the front desk were very accommodating, and we upgraded to a suite that opened up to the courtyard for double the price.

After our first night, we left the room, when we came back, the bed had been made, and new towels left, but the coffee had not been replaced or the dirty glasses and coffee cups. My husband called housekeeping asking for a new set up and extra towels. They never came.

When we were looking for a missing soccer jersey, I pulled the couch out from the wall and found a used CONDOM on the floor behind the couch. At that point I couldn't get out of their fast enough.

I would not recommend staying there unless cleanliness is not a high priority for you.

Stayed March 2006