“Not Great if You Actually Use Business Center”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Modesto-Salida
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Modesto
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not Great if You Actually Use Business Center”
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I was actually going to give this place 2 stars, but I switched to the Courtyard Marriott, and I realized that, comparatively, this place is better. I switched hotels in the middle of my business trip because of a couple of issues I was having. Nothing that was such a huge deal, explained below.

Actually, most of the staff there were very pleasant and helpful, but I went down to the business center (i.e., small room with 1 computer and printer) to print out some documents I needed for the next day when I found out that they do not have adobe acrobat so I could not open any of my pdf files to print. Helpful trick I discovered: if you email your documents to your gmail account and open it in html, you can print out the document as a "picture" (so you don't need adobe acrobat), you'll just have the web address also print at the bottom of your documents.

The big printer they have says it also has fax and scan abilities. Later that day, when I went downstairs to scan a document, I found out, the scan function does not work (I was informed it was not programed in yet at the front desk when I went to inquire). I then tried to fax something - you guessed it, that does not work either. I went to the front desk again and they said they would fax it for me, which was fine, but still....
The printer works well for printing, but that small room does get very hot if you print a lot. Printer also does a good job of copying. Had to ask to borrow stapler from front desk (though I understand why they wouldn't keep one in the business center since it could get stolen a lot).

Need your room key to get into business center. I like this touch - I think only twice was there someone there when I needed to use it....and that's out of about 10 times I was in there. You can access it 24 hours.

The noise from the freeway was a bit bothersome and a couple of times huge trucks (they sounded more like trains) went through in the middle of the night. I was in room 328. I hate switching rooms so I didn't ask to switch.

Free bottle of water and snack at check-in. No restaurant or room service. Small snack shop next to front desk that had drinks and chips, etc.

Microwave, fridge, safe, and nice TV in room. To open the drawer that has the microwave and fridge, pull it towards you (don't try to slide it open like I did). For a while, I just thought it was a locked drawer. ;^)

Free wireless. Free breakfast that is pretty okay - sausage patties and packaged yogurt good. Fruit they have at breakfast is bananas.

Not including tax, $103 for Sunday night, $109/night for Monday and Tuesday nights.

In sum, nothing to write home about, just a couple of setbacks for business travelers, but basically fine place to stay.

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
HIESModesto, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Modesto-Salida, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
DC_Traveler88,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your most recent stay with us. I also want to thank you for explaining that our facility is in fact superior to that of the Courtyard in town. I want to apologize for the issues that you encountered during your stay as well. Some things, like the faxing capabilities have been restricted to be done at front desk due to various issues we faced in the past with children and non guests using our services; however, in regards to Adobe and scanning functions, we have taken measures to get these items fixed and usable for our guests.

As for the room you stayed in having road noise, I again apologize. The next time you are in town for business and hopefully choose to stay with us again, please request a different room. If for any reason you are not happy with the room, our staff will be happy to move to you another room and move your belongings for you. At our hotel, we strive to make sure all guests are happy with their stay; hence, please let us know during your stay if there is anything we can do to make your stay nothing less than perfect.

Despite the minor issues you experienced at our hotel, I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in the area for business or pleasure.

Again, thank you for writing us a review. Happy Travels!

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 16, 2010

This is an outstanding hotel with an excellent staff. Jason (front desk clerk) went above and beyond to help me with my business needs. The rooms have everything you need with very comfortable beds. The guest reception that has free beer, wine and snacks is a lovely pressure after a long days work. I travel frequently to North Cali from South Cali and this location is unbeatable. I highly recommended this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank dCaliTraveler
HIESModesto, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Modesto-Salida, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
dCaliTraveler,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Modesto as your Hotel of "Northern California". We appreciate our guests feedback and when guests like yourself leave such positive comments on our staff, it truly makes us work even harder to please each and every one of our guests. I have personally let Jason know of your kind remarks and he is proud to know that guests appreciate his genuine personality. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review on your most recent stay with us. We hope that the next time you cross the "bridge" from Southern Cal, you choose to stay with us again.

Happy Travels!

Reviewed August 12, 2010

Stayed here with my daughter for a night and was very happy. Clean, comfortable, and very beautiful.

• Stayed August 2010
HIESModesto, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Modesto-Salida, responded to this review, August 16, 2010
NessaP84,

Thank you for staying with us while you and your daughter were in the Modesto area. More importantly, thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It is important to us to hear what our guests have to say about our hotel. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that you will return again soon. Again, thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Modesto as your hotel during your travel.

Happy Travels!

Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I am a weekly coast-to-coast traveler and I selected this hotel as my "home away from home" because of the friendliness of the management staff at the time of my inquiry about being a long-term visitor. I could not have asked for a more accommodating staff. Just this past week, they asked how my stay was working and I asked for a change. I asked that they switch out my non-fitted mattress pad on the bed for a fitted one so that my bed would be smooth throughout the night. The hotel did not have any fitted mattress pads so the manager, Brian Lee, went out and bought one just for me. He and Andrea Mundy are the best team in hotel management that I have come across in my years of travel. If you are ever in need of a hotel in the Modesto, CA area, I recommend that you stop in at the Holiday Inn Express Modesto-Salida and allow Brian and/or Andrea to give you a tour.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
HIESModesto, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Modesto-Salida, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
IVRUNR,

Thank you so much for writing a great review and spreading the word about our service at our Award Winning Hotel. We are honored to know that you appreciate our efforts in making yours as well as all of our other guests experiences at our hotel one to remember. Just as you explained, Brian Lee and Andrea Mundy are two of the greatest in the industry and it truly shows. As a staff vision, we like to treat all of our guests like family; hence, the reason why this hotel is an Award Winner and #1 on TripAdvisor! Again, thank you for taking the time out of your day to write such a great review. We look forward to continuing to provide excellent service to you and all of our guests. Happy travels!

Memphis, TN
Reviewed December 29, 2009

Highly recommend - out of 15 or so hotels stayed on recent trip, this is definitely the best, and very reasonable rate.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roboird
HIESModesto, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Modesto-Salida, responded to this review, January 2, 2010
roboird,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on your most recent stay with us. We proud to know that you enjoy your stay with us completely and that you felt you received great value for the price you paid. The next time you are in the Modesto Area, we hope that you chose Holiday Inn Express & Suites Modesto as your hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon in 2010. Happy New Year and Happy Travels!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 14, 2009

Check-in was a breeze and the front desk service was very friendly. The rooms are spacious and clean. Planatation shutters are a nice touch instead of curtains. The bathrooms are large with plenty of amenities provided such as lotions, body washes, and multiple bottles of shampoo and conditioner. And there are plenty of crisp, white, clean towels as well. The beds are very comfortable and the in-room business center set-up is fantastic for a business traveler who has a lot to plug in, hook up, and spread out. Each room has a refrigerator, microwave, and flat screen TV. I will definitely stay here again when I come back for business.

Regarding previous comments about Highway 99 being noisy. It is, but no more than most roads you find near hotels. And if you run the fan on the heater/AC at night, it drowns out most everything with "white noise".

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank AZPants
calebflub,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express & Suites Modesto as your hotel of choice when traveling on Business in our area. We are happy to know that you enjoy our spacious rooms and amenities especially those that set us apart from other hotels such as our Guest Link for Business Travelers. The next time you stay with us, we would love to show you a demo on the Guest Link to show you how you can connect your electronics such as your Laptop directly to the LCD TV and enjoy your computer as well as TV at the same time! We look forward to accommodating you again soon. Happy New Year and Happy Travels!

Redmond, Oregon
Reviewed November 19, 2009

One of the newest Holiday Inn Express' we have stayed in.
Newer everything and great staff. The freeway is close and very loud so ask for a room away from it if that is a concern of yours. To get a quiet room we had to trade our king bed for two queens. That was okay.

Depending on the time of year, sometimes you have the AC on all night so you can't hear any outside noises anyway.

Killer breakfast that you expect from Holiday Inn Express.
Biscuits and gravy, eggs, bacon, cinnamon rolls, milk and juice.
If I ate here every morning I would soon weigh 600 pounds :-)

Thanks for your time.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
HIESModesto, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Modesto-Salida, responded to this review, December 11, 2009
Longball44,

I apologize for the late response to your review; however, I would liek to thank you for taking the time to write us a great review. I am glad that you enjoyed our Smart Start breakfast and our services that we offered during your stay.

I would like apologize for the freeway; however, I am glad to know that you were moved to another room that met your expectations.

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your hotel of choice when you were in the Modesto Area.

Happy Holidays and Happy Travels!

Director of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Modesto
DoubleTree by Hilton Modesto
Best Western Palm Court Inn
SpringHill Suites Modesto
Ramada Modesto
Ramada Modesto
#3 of 20 in Modesto
Baymont Inn & Suites Modesto Salida
Hampton Inn & Suites Modesto-Salida

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Modesto-Salida? Share your experiences!