“Breakfast!”

Black Bear Diner
Ranked #17 of 506 Restaurants in Modesto
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 29, 2012

This is a great place for breakfast. Loved the chicken fried chicken. A small wait on the weekend. Service was good.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Best place in town for a wonderful hearty breakfast. The decor is pleasant, the portions are large and the waitstaff is pleasant.

Reviewed March 6, 2012

We have eated at this place in the past for lunch and breakfast. Dinner was very disappointing. The food was cold, the soup cold and the service so so. They did offer a pastry for the cold food but all in all it was not a good experience. Breakfast and lunch at this diner and other locations has been good but dinner, not good at all.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

Went with family for breakfast. Tried the corned beef hash and eggs and the hash was the real deal. Nice size pieces of corned beef with a delictable flavor. Poached eggs were a little overdone but that did not detract from the goodness of the meal in general. My companions loved their fare as well. Top grades were also given to the Bacon pancakes. This is a chain and I have had wonderful meals in the one in Vegas as well.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

He and I came in a bit after lunchtime. There was a good number of people, but it wasn't jam packed, and we were seated right away. It seemed familiar, but it wasn't until I saw the menu that I realized that this was one of a chain, and I'd also been to the one in Bend, OR several years ago.

At any rate, I ordered the denver omelette, and he ordered the country fried steak. I really liked the option to get a 2 egg version, instead of the 3 egg. His split pea soup was excellent - he said the bacon really made the taste. We both enjoyed our meal quite a bit, and the bear stuff is cute.

My only complaint - the servers walked around with brooms and dust pans, and were very enthusiastic about sweeping the carpet right next to us as we ate. They may have a manager who demands that they stay busy, but it is icky to have dust and stuff flying around my food.