“Dinner was a disappointment”
Review of Black Bear Diner

Black Bear Diner
Ranked #15 of 508 Restaurants in Modesto
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We have eated at this place in the past for lunch and breakfast. Dinner was very disappointing. The food was cold, the soup cold and the service so so. They did offer a pastry for the cold food but all in all it was not a good experience. Breakfast and lunch at this diner and other locations has been good but dinner, not good at all.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

Went with family for breakfast. Tried the corned beef hash and eggs and the hash was the real deal. Nice size pieces of corned beef with a delictable flavor. Poached eggs were a little overdone but that did not detract from the goodness of the meal in general. My companions loved their fare as well. Top grades were also given to the Bacon pancakes. This is a chain and I have had wonderful meals in the one in Vegas as well.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

He and I came in a bit after lunchtime. There was a good number of people, but it wasn't jam packed, and we were seated right away. It seemed familiar, but it wasn't until I saw the menu that I realized that this was one of a chain, and I'd also been to the one in Bend, OR several years ago.

At any rate, I ordered the denver omelette, and he ordered the country fried steak. I really liked the option to get a 2 egg version, instead of the 3 egg. His split pea soup was excellent - he said the bacon really made the taste. We both enjoyed our meal quite a bit, and the bear stuff is cute.

My only complaint - the servers walked around with brooms and dust pans, and were very enthusiastic about sweeping the carpet right next to us as we ate. They may have a manager who demands that they stay busy, but it is icky to have dust and stuff flying around my food.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

The food is OK and the service was dreary. It may have been the time of the day, but a 10 minute wait to speak to a server and then a 30 minute wait to be served luke warm food didn't give us a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

I should have guessed when there was no one there for lunch, that was a sign, but I thought it was just slow. Ordered an omlette. How badly could you screw this up? Well, they did. VERY bland, no flavor, spices or anything. My friend had the fish and chips. Pretty simple right? Well, they still couldn't add any flavor to that dish either. Diners are supposed to offer good food, but this place has to be the worst I've ever had. Avoid this place like the plague.