“Nice atmosphere, tasty unique flavors, service attentive but can be slow”
Review of Surla's

Surla's
Ranked #41 of 506 Restaurants in Modesto
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We have been to Surla's twice. The first time the service was excellent, nice table, the food was unique blend of flavors and quite good. The second time, though we had reservations, they gave us an awful uncomfortable table/booth by the back door. Not a recommended spot as the booth cushions are not supportive and one sinks down into a hole. They were gracious to move us and perhaps that is why the service ended up extremely slow. We waited over 30 minutes for our appetizer, which was delicious, and another 25 minutes for our salads and another 30 minutes for the entree. Our server was attentive, but gave not one clue as to why we were waiting so long while others got their meal, ate and left. We asked and she said, "I'm sure it will be right up." Personally, I think our food went to someone else...hmmm... Each course was tasty but waiting so long ruined our special evening out. We will try them one more time, making sure to ask for a table, and not to be seated in her section. It's worth another try as the flavors the chef creates with side sauces and his unique combinations are worth one more shot.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

I had high hopes for this place but I was a bit disappointed. We started off with the duck tacos and they were pretty decent. I ordered the chicken adobo over rice and I was not impressed at all, not for the price anyway. I can't complain about the staff because they did a fine job. I think I would try this place again, it wasn't awful. I just can't really recommend it at this time.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I had dinner there a number of times. On the last visit we had very good service by a young gentleman. There was a great surprise when the bill came though. They charged $39 for a below-average seafood dish. This was a daily special and they did not mention the price at the beginning. Comparing to the rest of their prices, $39 is about double than their average price for a main course. I find it exorbitant!! They will never see me again.

1  Thank Purplesage C
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Surlas is my 2nd favorite restuant in Modesto (next to Dewz). Great food, great atmosphere, great staff, and amazing bartenders. The cost is pricey but not crazy expensive. Maybe $$$. Sunday campagne brunch buffet is wonderful with lots of options. Food is classy with an islander flare. Perfect for a date night. My husband and I like to go and sit in the bar area and have the barteneder pair wines with each course. Totally Recommend Surlas!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I've lived in Modesto for 24 years and have been eating at Surla's since they opened and took over from when the restaurant was Hazel's. The food is typically better than the service and tonight was no exception. We arrived 30 minutes before our reservation and intended to have a drink in the bar before being seated, but were ignored by 3 people working at the bar for over 5 minutes after being sitting at the bar - and I mean IGNORED as the three staff members walked back and forth in front of us without acknowledging us at all. When they finally took our drink order they were so slow at bringing us our drinks that our table was ready and the hostess ended up seating another couple at our table while we waited to pay our bar tab and we ended up getting a terrible table against a wall next to a fire hydrant right under a blaring sound speaker that was so loud we could hardly hear each other talk. The bar was not very busy either, not compared to other bars I've been in, so why the snail paced service? The food was good, it usually is, but the employee who brought our food didn't even know the pre-set menu since they described the bok choy as "celery" even though it was clearly bok choy and was clearly listed as such on the menu, but hey, this is Modesto and I probably shouldn't expect knowledgeable employees in such a non-cosmopolitian town.

1  Thank jjeppson

Been to Surla's? Share your experiences!