“Management Blows” 1 of 5 bubbles

Riptide Rockin' Sushi & Teppan Grills
Ranked #30 of 237 Restaurants in Mission Viejo
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: The 5 Fwy
Description: Orange County is home to many traditional, hole in the wall sushi joints that get the job done. Riptide is not one of those places. If you are looking for a sushi experience unlike any other in Mission Viejo, look no further than Riptide Rockin' Sushi and Teppan Grills. The energy is high with family and friends. The menu, an award winning expression that perfectly combines a hint of tradition with modern creativity. The sakes bomb nightly, the teppans sizzle with heat and flavor, and the sushi knocks your socks off. Simply put, Riptide is not your mom's sushi joint, but it's definitely yours.
Dana Point, California
“Management Blows”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

There is a reason there is "no contact" us option on their website because if there was their inbox would be full with complaints. The management here is horrible and will do nothing to accommodate their customers or make a bad situation right. We came here for my birthday and had a $25 gift certificate. There were no restriction on the certificate and to our surprise when we handed the certificate to the waitress she handed it back to us after speaking with her manager telling us we cannot use it on Fridays or Saturdays. After racking up a hefty bill on overpriced sushi and expecting to get $25 off, we were not happy. My boyfriend politely spoke to the manager who couldn’t do anything for us and then spoke to the general manager who was extremely rude and would do nothing to accommodate us. He told us to come back Sunday through Thursday and they would honor it. Let me reemphasize that nowhere on the certificate does it say not valid on Fridays or Saturdays. We told the GM that the only reason we came to this restaurant and spent as much as we did was because of the gift certificate and will let it be if he at least would comp us our drinks or an appetizer. The GM proceeded to tell us that he didn’t care about our certificate and would do nothing for us and would call the cops on us if we didn’t pay the full bill. We paid the full bill and left very unhappy and will not be returning.

Service wasn’t bad when we got there when the place was empty. Once it picked up our waitress was nowhere to be found. Sushi was good but small portions and overpriced. If you have any troubles with your meal or service, do not expect their management to do anything for you. The GM should be fired. He will run the business to the ground and if he treats customers the way that he does.

DO NOT GO HERE!

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CORINNE F

Mission Viejo, California
“Bring it back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I love this place, the servers and the food are wonderful. A friend told me about Riptides Sunday Brunch. I went and told my wife this is going to be a Sunday tradition. We went back the following Sunday and behold NO BRUNCH.... Bring it back!!!!!

Visited February 2013
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Really Good Teppan and Sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

The teppanyaki was the bomb. The filet was cooked perfectly, it was tender and flavorful. The fried rice was also very good, not too oily and bursting with flavor.

The caliente roll was fresh and very tasty.

Eventhough we came in with a restaurant.com certificate, we were treated the same way as all other customers. With that said, the downside of this place is service. It gets super busy here and they don't seem to have enough staff so it may take awhile to get a refill of your water, get extra wasabi, or put in an extra order of sushi so make sure to order everything on the first round.

• Visited January 2013
Boston, MA
“The best creative sushi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

I go to this place every time I visit So Cal. My friend & I sat at the sushi bar this time. Our waitress was friendly, attentive, and even went out of her way to ask the bartender a couple of questions about the drinks. The atmosphere is fun...very lively and loud with great music/videos playing. Always a great choice for a group of friends. It gets pretty crowded on certain nights, like the all you can eat sushi nights, so make reservations.

Now, lets talk about the sushi. I've never had their traditional sushi, so can't speak for that. Their specialty rolls are AMAZING! My favorite is the tornado roll, which has all kinds of yummy things wrapped inside a flash fried potato crust. Runners up are the screamin o roll and the burrito roll. I would suggest ordering a few of the specialty rolls and splitting them so you can try multiple things. If someone in your party doesn't like sushi, they have a pretty extensive menu including salads, steaks, and seafood. Everyone I've dined with has always been happy with their food...and large portions. They also have teppanyaki.

This is my favorite place for sushi and my visits are never complete without going here at least once.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ladera Ranch, California
“Poor Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We usually eat around the sushi bar. Last night we decided to get a booth. Our waitress took our drink order. We ordered the Shark Attack. It is suppose to have gummy fish. It didn't but what it did have was a bug on our lemons. We ordered edamame but never received it. When we told the waitress to take off our check she said she didn't bring it because they ran out and it was to late to defrost. We got there at 8pm. The waitress never came back to see if we wanted anything else or refills on our drinks. Took forever to find her to get check. We always go to Riptide when my daughter comes home from college but the last several times the service has been terrible.

• Visited March 2013