“Serendipity”

Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Serendipity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

I usually write these reviews 6 months after I visit but not this time. Looking for something sort of healthy I could walk to from my hotel and there I was. Never heard of Shabu Shabu before but hot mama and the gang explained everything. The sauces are from scratch and tasty with fresh veggies and seafood. You swish the food in water and dip in sauce.My favorite was the sauce for rice with Serrano peppers. Like nothing I had before because the soy absorbs the heat. Also had nigiri that was awesome. The locals dine here and were so happy to explain the concept and tell me what was best. What could have been a dismal night dining solo turned out to be so fun. It's a must.

1 Thank GSDiva

Mission Viejo, California
“The best food and atmosphere you could ask for !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Make a reservation because the place always fills up. I wish I could keep this place a secret but that would not be fair to Hot Mama and her crew. They work very hard to make your experience the best. Shabu Shabu means swish swish which is what you do with the beef and veggies she serves cooking them in a pot of hot boiling water. Mama's sauces for dipping are outstanding. I have eaten Shabu in other cities ...nothing as good as this one in my own town. Love it.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Traveler32722
Indianapolis, Indiana
“This little place was awesome and Hot Mamma was Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

So, we started off our night in Mission Viejo very hungry. We didn't want to stray far from the hotel and this place was suggested to us. We drove up and there was no one in the place but the help...so we drove off. After further discussion, we decided to come back and give it a whirl. We were all very glad we did.

We were greeted by the owner, Hot Mamma (her given nickname for her attitude and special sauce she makes with serano chilies.) In my opinion, she made the experience. She could have served sandwiches and I would have said this place was great. Luckily, the food was good too. If you want someone to do all the cooking, this isn't the place for you. It's similar to fondu where you cook your own, however, all the food is boiled in water. I was skeptical at first, however, after a quick Shabu, Shabu (swish, swish) in the water and a dunk in the freshly made sauces, you are good to go. The food was beyond expectations.

The service was the best part. Hot Mamma really wants you to feel at home. She went out of her way to give us anything that we wanted. She even busted our chops a bit about driving off and coming back.

If you are in the area, please go to Shabu...you'll enjoy it.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank DinIndy
New hampshire
“Great little restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

An extremely fun dinning experience. Food was excellent and the owner right on premises, She loves to chat and be a part of your experience

Visited May 2013
2 Thank NHTraveler1234
Goleta, California
“Inexpensive and tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

The menu was good, the food tasty and inexpensive. All in all a great value. It's very close to the Ayres, walking distance in fact.

Visited June 2012