“Overpriced and overhyped”

Cuisines: Japanese
Laguna Niguel, CA
“Overpriced and overhyped”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

This restaurant seems to be more of a pickup place for singles than a sushi bar. The sushi bar is very big, and the sushi is pretty good, but very expensive and I can find better of a couple of dollars less. The sushi bar is actually too big, and that intimate feeling one usually feels between the chef and the customer is missing. The service is mediocre and the atmosphere is badly missing

• Visited March 2013

Trabuco Canyon, California
“Food good - restaurant dirty!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

The atompshere is dark and noisy - which is probably good because it hides the dirt and grime all over the place. If you can get past the look of the place, the food is good and there are a lot of options for sushi rolls and some very unique combinations. Service is just so-so.

Visited February 2012
Ladera Ranch, California
“the noise the drive you nuts..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

i will admit that the food is very good.. but dont plan on going there and carrying on a conversation unless you want to shout. great place maybe for teens who dont mind the noise. i saw another person in the restroom and we were joking that we would not be able to hear ourselves for days. he was from out of state and commented that "maybe this is what you calif people like to do when you go out.. not have to talk to anyone.."

but food and service were quite good...

Visited April 2012
Oceanside, California
“Can't wait to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

On our way home to Oceanside, Calif after taking daughter to John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, decided to try this restaurant again. We ate there a few years back and remembering we liked it, decided to have another go at it. Oh my, I am so glad we did. I had a steak and grilled vegetables which were outstanding. The grilled vegetables weren't just your routine carrot/brocolli/cauliflower standard of most establishments. This came with asparagus, red bell pepper, yellow and italian squash, and eggplant all grilled with balsamic and spices. It was incredible. The steak was done med well which I asked but still tender enough and not dried out. My husband had sushi and i can't speak to that as it isn't my thing but it sure looked pretty and he said it was good.. For dessert I had mango sorbet which came on a bed of thinly sliced melon and pineapple topped with raspberry sauce. Oh my, I can't imagine where they got such good fruit but it was the perfect ripeness and sweetness. I am still drooling, it was so good. I definitely will try to figure out a time to go back here even though it is about 40 to 50 minutes from where we live.

• Visited January 2012
Los Angeles, CA
“Great Location, Good Food, Ok Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2011

Rip Tide Rockin Sushi & Tippan Grill in Mission Viejo is a very family friendly place to go for a good meal. The menu has a lot of choices from noodles, chicken and soups/salads, to a ful sushi menu! There is a party atmosphere, very loud and hip. The food was pretty good...but not a lot for the price. We went on a Saturday night and they were wall to wall packed...but severely under-staffed! The service was very slow and the waters seemed stressed out. Dinner ended up lasting close to 75 minutes. With three kids in toe.....75 minutes is a long time! I'd definitely come again for another chance. I suppose worth it just for the ambiance and food.

• Visited October 2011