$185
$86
Benbow Historic Inn(Garberville)
$220
Hotels.com
Inn of the Lost Coast(Shelter Cove)
$240
$225
$149
$135
Agoda.com
The Redwood Riverwalk Hotel(Fortuna)(Great Value!)
$139
Official Site
$150
$155
ComfortInn
Travel Inn(Fortuna)
$89
All reviewsthe cottagesfire pitping ponggas stationredwood treesbagelscoffee standhumboldt redwoods state parkcontinental breakfastmotor lodgeseparate bedroomavenue cafehard boiled eggscream cheesesmall townbig treesawe inspiring
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We had a cozy little cabin right next to the redwood forest. Clean and comfy. Great for the budget. The new managers are very helpful. Were having some TV reception problems but they had a stack of movie CDs available. They recommended Cecil's, a restaurant in nearby Garbersville. The filet we had there was the best we've ever had!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shorebum
Reviewed September 17, 2010

We stayed here as part of a tour through Northern California, and immediately decided we have to come back one day soon. The cottages give you the feel of staying in the woods with the comforts of a private, clean, safe hotel room. Although there are few options for cable, they have a wide range of DVDs and boardgames if you prefer to hang out in your room, rather than take advantage of the pool, fire pit, and smores. The scenery is outstanding, and the staff is well-informed and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jcohen8
Reviewed September 6, 2010

On our way south we called just a few hours ahead and Miranda Gardens fixed up with a lovely small cottage for one night. Staff we very helpful and friendly - the place has a small and accessible "small town" character. Its been in the family for many years.
Our cottage had just been redone and if, like me, you like to stay in historic places, this collection of cabins is a must. Our interior had gleaming old redwood wainscot and floors, and vintage lights, photos, etc. A short walk amongst the cabins and towering redwoods quickly cleared the stiffness of the day's drive away. A late evening swim in the lovely pool didn't hurt either.
Miranda is a very small town on the Ave. of the Giants. Across the street was a good (the only?) local restaurant. Next door at an old garage some locals were hanging about chatting and working on a great collection of vintage autos - how fitting being across the street from an historic "auto court". Hardly a car came by as the evening ambled on and the day cooled off. The vintage neon sign was the only spot of colour.
The breakfast offered was adequate but could have been embellished - well it is a small town.
Price was very fair. We'd come back for a longer stay if we were going to hike in the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Cedarhill4060
Reviewed July 18, 2010

My husband and I have visited the Avenue of the Giants on every opportunity that we have had over the years -- over three decades. We have camped in the Albee Creek campground in the state park a couple of times and we stayed in another motel on the Avenue once -- but Miranda Gardens has been our destination of choice many, many times--the location being one of the biggest attractions. Our most recent experience was a best experience--and you will see that I have given excellent ratings on all of the criteria--this place offers much more than location now.

If you want the predictability of a chain motel, this is not where you want to spend the night . If you want to spend time in a place that totally supports your experience in one of the greatest locations on the plant--the Avenue of the Giants--I HIGHLY recommend Miranda Gardens. (And if you are passing through the Giants, need a place to stay where the rooms are clean and pleasant, come on in....but if a particular amenity is critical to you--ask!)

The Miranda Gardens resort has cabins/rooms that are older. At one level one would charactize this place as a funky old cabin resort. And the good parts of "funky, old" remain but much, much has been done to improve the accomodations.

We were in room #2, one of the more inexpensive units. The unit was furnished with a mix of antiques, antique replicas and a refrigerator, microwave and television. This unit, like every other one we have stayed in over the years, had a outdoors space with a table and chairs AND the huge redwood trees that bring us to the Avenue. You can purchase local Wi-Fi by the day. The resort can play movies in your room, but don't come here to watch network television.

When we moved into our room, it seemed to me that it was very clean and well kept. While we were sitting on our "patio" we observed the staff cleaning unit #1 for an early check-in. Seeing the staff descend on the room to clean it to what appeared to be very high standards totally impressed me--truly, I would never expect that a hotel maid would be on hands and knees to clean the bathroom, but this is what I observed. It is clear that a significant portion of the room rate goes to room upkeep. There must have been at least an hour of staff time spent cleaning that room.

There are so many things I would like to say. Having visited Miranda Gardens at least a dozen time over the years, I was simply confused by some of the reviews. Some of them had to be dated and some of them had to be a bad moment or a visitor with a bad attitude.

For example, there were reviews mentioning immature and unresponsive staff? This has NEVER been our experience. There are staff at Miranda Gardens who have been there for as long as we have been visiting. The negative reviews may be from people who are used to predictable chains. On this visit, I walked along with the manager while she left the office to fulfill another visitor's request as well as mine. Another guest going to the office would have wondered why there was no staff on call--while the truth was that guests were getting customized consideration. Patience makes for a better experience at this kind of facility--

One review mentioned a bad restaurant across the street, but in our experience, the restaurant across the street was great and greatly enhanced our visit (Avenue Cafe??). Eating establishments do come and go in rural areas, but the restaurant across the street had the best, freshest food I can remember in any rural restaurant. My husband and I totally enjoyed taking food-to-go to our "patio." Ask the Miranda Garden staff about where to eat.

A big reason this has been a target location for us is the redwood grove that is next to Miranda. Our idea of a good time is to fill our coffee cups and take a stroll in the grove--which can be reached by a trail or a very short drive. It's a beautiful, awesome, majestic grove and notable becase the mosquito population is low. We have been able to take portable chairs into this grove and just sit and enjoy.

The presence of the ancient redwoods is like no other. As I said above, Miranda Gardens has provided the accomodations for us to support our visits to one of our favorite places to appeciate nature.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank stephroot
Reviewed May 11, 2010

My sister and I stayed in cabin #8 recently, and the experience was even better than expected. From the moment we arrived, the staff went above and beyond to make us comfortable, especially Sarah. We arrived late, but Sarah stayed up to check us in and ensure we had everything we needed. The cabin was extremely clean, spacious and tastefully decorated; complete with no-maintenance gas fireplace and a large, private deck. We could control the thermostat (a huge plus), and never ran out of hot water or found ourselves at a loss for anything.

We had originally planned only a one night stay, but was so happy with our accommodations and the beauty surrounding us that we extended our trip to stay an extra day. Had we the time and money, we would have spent far more time here; thus, I would suggest that you plan at least a two to three day sojourn if you are coming to this charming little nestled in the redwoods.

We also enjoyed the Espresso kiosk directly across the street as well as the little cafe next to it. I know others have trashed the food there, but we found the breakfast to be very good and the portions generous. For great mexican food, go South on Avenue of the Giants to a little bar & grill on the right with the covered patio. I can't remember the name, but the staff at the Gardens can help you find your way.

I've stayed in luxury cabins before, but the staff really made this one worth every dime. The housekeeper was friendly and attentive to our ever need, and Sarah was so exceptional that I really felt like family by the time we left - she even made up a fire in the fire-pit to celebrate our last night with them.

If you are going to the redwoods and would rather be pampered than camp, stay at Miranda Gardens - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank tplovestalia
sarahlc13, Public Relations Manager at Miranda Gardens Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2010

Thank you so much for your awesome review!

You two were delightful guests.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!