“Mixed reviews”

El Torito Mexican Grill
Ranked #184 of 332 Restaurants in Milpitas
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband eats here often when he travels for work and is always bragging about it so when I came out to visit him I wanted to eat here. The decor was what you would expect from a Mexican restaurant and I especially liked the open kitchen. The chips and salsa were really good and the salsa had a good kick to it. I ordered the coconut pineapple margarita and my husband had the perfect margarita, both were to die for and I highly recommend them. We ordered a Mexican Cesar salad each which was delicious and I ordered the Carnitas burrito plate and my husband ordered the chicken fajitas. Now this is where my mixed reviews come in, all the food had a really good taste to it however I found two hairs on my plate. The first hair was by the cornbread cake but I wasn't sure if it was one of my own (though I doubt it since it was pulled back in a tight bun) so I dismissed it, halfway through the meal I found another in my rice and that was enough to gross me out to not want to eat anymore. I didn't complain since I had already ate half of the plate and knew I would not be back again since. I live in Texas. While my husband was finishing up his meal I decided to go to the restroom and I literally walked in and right back out, the stench was overwhelming! It seems as if they may have some sewage problems because that is what it smelled like. I personally would not go to this same restaurant for these reasons but they are a chain so I may try another one in another loication. in the future

Reviewed January 25, 2013

This place has a nice Happy Hour and other daily specials too. We had drinks off of the special HH menu and most of the food on that menu is substantially cheaper that the published prices.
We ordered a sampler platter of several items and with the unending chips and salsa we hade a meal out of it. They have other locations in the nearby area also.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I came here recently after not coming here for a year, and remembered why I don't go here. The food underperforms, and just isn't as good as some of the competitors in the immediate area. It lacks the authenticity that some of the others have and consistently prepare and serve.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I always remember this place as being average with the food, but always great service. They have a great atmosphere and average to better than average food.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Sizzling enchilada is awesome. It's deadly greasy and loaded with fat and cholesterol, but you won't taste something better.

Chips and salsa are great.

Rice and beans are even good.

This was my first El Toritos since the 1990s, so I entered with measured expectations. Wow, what a different El Toritos than the old place.