“Got screwed by no free long distance”

Crowne Plaza San Jose - Silicon Valley
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Got screwed by no free long distance”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

When I checked in I saw a flyer for free long distance from inside the room. Well that didn't apply and they tried to charge me nearly $60 for 20 minutes of calling. WOW! Needless to say I was not happy and the manager had zero sympathy. And to add to the badness, my room's A/C kept waking me up at night. Also, no sympathy. I've already identified other hotels in this chain and will be avoiding them.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that face the pool as it gets noisy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaSJSV, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Jose - Silicon Valley, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Wes W.,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and for the inconveniences that occurred. We welcome any further details you wish to share at your convenience; please do not hesitate to reach out to me at melissa.maniquiz@ihg.com.

Regards,
Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Had to stay here for 3 days during the Teslive convention.
Upgraded to a King Executive room for $50 night upgrade. Worth every penny. View / room size, etc. excellent.
Mechanical problem with heater fixed within 5 minutes but had to return to bar for 3 hours while room cooled off to 70 (from 95 no joke).
Front desk staff very accommodating, polite, pleasant.
Breakfast (extra charge) was excellent, with good variety but for the price ($20) I would hope so. Chef seemed very keen to cook anything and everything. Would expect him to leave soon for a more upscale place.
Let downs? Inability to air condition public rooms. Main ballroom was stifling with 300 people in it. No excuse. Bar service was an F. Overpriced drinks and service was so slow by some inexperienced woman who also served breakfast.
Hotel ? did provide free breakfast on last day.
I would return to stay but not for food / bar.

Room Tip: Get the King Executive, floor 10.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sandy S
CrownePlazaSJSV, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Jose - Silicon Valley, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Sandy S,

Thank you for your review. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and that our breakfast was a great start to your day. I apologize that the public areas and bar were let downs during your stay. I have forwarded your words to our management team for their review. Please reach out to me at melissa.maniquiz@ihg.com if you would like to discuss your stay in further detail. Again, thank you for your review!

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

While they were unable to accommodate our request for a room with two double beds, they were able to get us two connecting rooms with King beds. The rooms were very nice, clean and comfortable. The staff was extremely helpful. The food at Sevens restaurant was pretty good. Breakfast was better than dinner. Thank you to the staff for working with our large group over this busy weekend.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CrownePlazaSJSV, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Jose - Silicon Valley, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Hi Stephen K.,

I apologize that we were not able to accommodate your request, but I am delighted that the front desk provided you with a satisfactory alternative. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and restaurant. I will pass along your kind words to the staff. Thank you for your review!

Regards,
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I used to stay here a lot when I could book here for $55 during weekends using hotwire. I still stay here on business when the clients are paying for it. It is a high rise hotel. The view is better IMO, if you ask for a room facing south and to avoid the afternoon sun (unless you like the sunset).

It is next to the Milpitas square, when you find 99 Range market and a lot of Chinese restaurants and shops. I have never got upgraded to a suite, even though I am a Platinum member. I did receive free continental breakfast and not the full breakfast. I also received free drink coupon to the bar.

They rate is a bit cheaper than the hotels in San Jose that are charging close to $300 these days.

Room Tip: Hotwire may have pretty good rate during weekends.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
CrownePlazaSJSV, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Jose - Silicon Valley, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Tom Y.,

Thank you for your review and for being an IHG Platinum member. We appreciate your stays with us and taking the time to share your experience. If we may be of any help to you in the future, or if you'd like to discuss your stay in more detail, please e-mail me at melissa.maniquiz@ihg.com and we will be happy to assist.

Woodbridge
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We used this hotel just to be close to the airport on our last night of a business trip. The room was nice and clean. Be was very comfortable. Staff was average and needs more training, or maybe better automation at the front desk. Had issues with printing receipt upon check out early in the morning. Lots of restaurants around but majority is Chinese oriented. I did not use the restaurant but it looked nice. I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013
CrownePlazaSJSV, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Jose - Silicon Valley, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Travelnowandtomorrow,

It's great to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms! I appreciate you providing feedback regarding your check out - I have shared this with our front office management so our team can review our front desk procedures to ensure guests can always check out in a timely manner. Thanks for your review and hope to see you again soon!

Take care,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Across the road from the maze which is Cisco, Samsung, Sandisk and other technology parks in Silicon Valley. Quiet and clean. The staff are courteous, friendly and ever helpful. The restaurant has a good food selection along with drinks and cocktails. The breakfast was great, hot and cold and plentiful. There is even a chef to cook your eggs as you want them! The coffee is standard American: pity we could not get a decent espresso or macchiato. The free wifi was quite good for skying and email and general online work. A pleasant experience overall and the price was reasonable given the time of the year.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaSJSV, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Jose - Silicon Valley, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi Traveller540,

I am so glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and hope that we will see you again in the future. Thank you for your review on your stay and our recently renovated restaurant. If we can be of any help in the future, do not hesitate to contact me or the Manager on Duty. Thank you again!

Warm regards,
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The best thing about Crowne Plaza was the Hertz counter located inside it's premise. Dropping and picking up my rental car was pretty convenient.

The room i had was adequately furbished without ever giving a feeling of luxury. They do not shoot for fabulous or excessive but i feel the price you pay for it, there are much better hotels located around, close by. Even the breakfast spread, the most important meal for me (coz you never know when will you get another one, what with all the meetings and travel), was basic, again, covering all bases but not going beyond it. The restaurant menu was even worse both overpriced and limited stuff to choose from. I never had anything there. The service there though was good and friendly people around. During my stay, some construction work was going on but it was never a problem for me since, i was never around during day time.

All and all, I would only go there again if i had little choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
CrownePlazaSJSV, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza San Jose - Silicon Valley, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Anurag C,

Thank you for your feedback and for mentioning our friendly staff. I am glad that the construction did not cause you any problems - we are at the tail end of our complete hotel renovation and have just opened up our new restaurant and bar, Sevens. I am sorry that the previous restaurant offerings were not up to your satisfaction. I hope if you are to stay here in the future we will be able to bring you a "wow" factor with our new products.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at melissa.maniquiz@ihg.com should you want to discuss your stay in further detail.