“Not bad, but could be more consistent.”

Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I am temporarily located in the area (for an extended period) and check into hotels at least once a month and sometimes up to 3 times a month on weekends just for some space and sleep. I was staying up in San Francisco or Palo Alto, but I wanted to find someplace more local to where I stay during the week where I can make a last minute reservation, so I tried the Beverly Heritage and have stayed here 3 times now including the last two weekends in a row.

It's a nice looking hotel from the outside, and the lobby is nice. I was even impressed with my room the first time I stayed. It was large and had a very good layout for working with a big desk that doesn't face the wall and a very comfortable chair. This is important because I work from my computer and still work a lot on weekends, so I appreciated this.

The problem with that room (for me) was that it was off the pool on the first floor and right outside my window was a pathway where everyone walks by to go to the restaurant into the pool area, so I felt like I had no privacy. Not their fault. I just knew to request rooms above the 1st floor if I came back. Also, the shower was either scalding hot or ice cold with no between. I should have reported this to the hotel but didn't, so I can't really blame them. They can't fix what they don't know about, but I ended up taking quick cold showers. (Saw a report from someone else here who had the same issue though and assume they have fixed it by now.)

I decided to give it another shot after a couple of months and stayed here again last weekend, but requested an upper floor when booking on line this time. When checking in, a very nice woman said "I see you've stayed with us before" and told me they'd upgraded me to their concierge wing and I was on the 3rd (top) floor. I'd joined their "I Prefer" club membership which says they give complimentary upgrades when available, so I thought maybe that was why. The room was large with a huge bathroom with a separate shower and tub, full couch, chair and coffee table, working desk and chair. I was really happy with it and made a point of telling her so when I passed through the lobby again. I did have to ask for the coupon for the complimentary buffet breakfast what was supposed to be included in my rate, but no biggie. Overall, a great stay.

So I decided to go back this weekend and thought maybe I'd found my default hotel in the South Bay. I know I can't expect an upgrade every time, and they didn't - which is fine, but they gave me a room on the 1st floor. I asked and the guy about it when he handed me the room # and he said there was nothing about my requesting a room on an upper floor, but the room he was giving me wasn't anywhere where people would be walking by. Not wanting to be a pain, I said OK, that was fine then, but when I go to my room, I see a bunch of tables and chairs right outside my window - which happens to be the hotel smoking area and there were people out there.

At this point I went back to the front desk and asked if he could find anything above the 1st floor. He said he'd look, but I felt like I was being a pain - exactly what I was trying not to be when I took the room he assured me was not near any foot traffic. I'm not that picky of a person. I just wanted a room anywhere but the 1st floor in any location IF available, that's all, and since I'd made my reservation that very day at noon and they still had availability of all room types, I assumed they could easily find me a room somewhere on the 2nd or 3rd floor.To his credit, he gave me a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the front parking lot - which was fine. I just felt like it was more of a hassle than it should have been for a simple request when they obviously had availability and I mentioned it before I checked into the first room.

My reservation also included the breakfast buffet again. The breakfast was great and the staff in the restaurant (Brandon's) was top notch, but I had to ask for my coupons again and when I did, he again said my reservation didn't show anything for that. He checked and found it, but I just don't like to have to ask for everything when it was all in my reservation.

Would I stay here again? I'm not ruling it out. The staff is actually really nice - from the people at the front desk to the housekeepers, the rooms are set up nicely for working, the Internet connection is solid, and I got a great rate, but there are other hotels in the area with better reviews at similar rates, and I think I'll be trying those to see if I can find one a little more consistent to make my default hotel in the area before I go back here.

I'm giving them 3 out of 5 because it's not bad if you can get a good rate, but I just don't want to wonder what I'll have to ask for every time, whether it's a change of room, a shower with a normal temperature range or the breakfast coupons I'm supposed to get, but don't unless I ask.

Room Tip: Whether you are overlooking the busy express way, the parking lot or the pool, this is a quiet hotel...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Ian H, General Manager at Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for your kind patronage of The Beverly Heritage Hotel. We do wish to please all of our guests and appreciate your comments regarding your multiple stays with us. It is our goal to always meet every guest's needs, so we will be sure to address each of your remarks, both positive and constructive, with our staff so we may improve for your next stay. It makes us very happy to hear that the service levels you experienced with our staff fully impressed you and your accommodations met your needs. We hope to continue to welcome you back each time you are in the area and we thank you for your very concise review.

There are newer reviews for Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel a couple times when traveling for business. This hotel provides all the services you might require. The rooms are quite spacious, clean and well maintained.
The breakfast buffet in the morning is not so bad as well. They offer complimentary shuttle service which is an added advantage if you don't rent a car.
The hotel staff are really helpful and very polite. The location of the hotel is pretty good as well and the hotel is very well maintained.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Ian H, General Manager at Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

We can't thank you enough for your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Beverly Heritage Hotel. It's wonderful to hear that you were able to relax while traveling for business and take advantage of the many wonderful amenities our hotel offers. We look forward to sharing your kind comments with our staff and hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had an overnight layover in San Jose. The hotel shuttle was waiting when we arrived, and the driver was very polite and attentive. The room was fine--comfortable, quiet and spacious. The sofa bed was more comfortable than the sofabed we slept on the prior week in our Hawaii condo. The room rate was reasonable. In the morning, the shuttle whisked us back to the airport. Mission accomplished. Although our stay was short, the hotel lived up to our expectations. We recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Ian H, General Manager at Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Beverly Heritage Hotel. We're so happy to learn you had a great stay and thank you for recognizing our staff and accommodations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel when your travels bring you to the area again. Thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We found this place on the Internet thru Priceline. It's rooms are clean and nice, and larger than most hotels. The staff is kind and helpful. We left our lights on in the car over night and the hotel jumped our car and had us on our way. Very, very nice place. Kids love it. And it's near the San Jose airports. I would put relatives in this hotel it is comfortable, quite and reasonably priced.

Stayed: October 2012
Ian H, General Manager at Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you for putting your trust in The Beverly Heritage Hotel to care for you and your family. Our aim is to offer personalized service to each of our guests and we’re thrilled that we were able to help out with your car. We do appreciate you pointing out our convenient location and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back for many years to come. Thank you for your gracious review.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is the 2nd time my family and I stay here and can honestly say it was much more pleasurable this time.The room was comfortable and spacious. I think we really loved the fact that the staff went out of their way to make us feel comfortable, especially Harjot! (I believe thats his name) The pool area is great, unfortunately we didn't have a chance to enjoy it. Next time for sure!

Room Tip: I would've enjoyed a view out the window, but thats ok. The LR had a skylight to compensate!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

We love hearing from our return guests, and learning that this stay was even better than the last is great to hear. All of our staff strives to offer exceptional service in a friendly and genuine manner and we’re grateful that you appreciated your interactions with them. Your kind comments will be sure to make their day. We’re thrilled you had a great stay and look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Thank you for your review of The Beverly Heritage Hotel.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Walls were a bit thin, but the rest of the hotel was very good. Most importantly, the bed was very comfortable, followed by a decent shower. The hotel is showing some age, although small touches were nice.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
BeverlyHeritageHotel, General Manager at Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

We know that even the smallest details can make the biggest difference in your stay, so we try very hard to offer personalized service to each of our guests and we're very happy to see that you appreciated our efforts. Thanks for taking the time to post your review for the Beverly Heritage Hotel and we hope to see you again when you travels bring back to the area.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed here for a business trip. An ok location near the convention center (about a 10-15 minute drive). Not too bad on the price and a fairly nice room, but it could be a bit more updated. Beware of the incidental holds placed on your credit card.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
BeverlyHeritageHotel, General Manager at Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Beverly Heritage Hotel. Please allow us to clarify that the incidentals hold is actually a hold on your account, and not a charge. The monies are promptly released by our hotel after your departure; which is a common practice throughout the industry. We're happy to see that your stay was comfortable and we hope to be able to welcome you back again.