“Fabulous staff, nice clean grounds, but ants in Cabana Suite.”

Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
texas
“Fabulous staff, nice clean grounds, but ants in Cabana Suite.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton San Jose with family for five nights. We had the Cabana Suite, my sister had the Tower Suite, and my brother stayed on the Club Floor.

Location was great for us. The hotel is a 3 minute drive to Chinatown which had a ton of food. Just over the freeway is a Walgreen's and whatever else you need. It is sandwiched between a ton of businesses but venture out and look around. If you do not have a car, it would be difficult to get around unless you plan on eating in the hotel. We did not eat in the hotel.

Staff was amazing and greeted me with Mrs. (and my name) every single time. The grounds are very nice and the staff is always hard working to keep it clean. I have never stayed at such a fully staffed hotel. The employees seem to enjoy working here. The pool is wonderful, clean, and not too cold to swim in. There is no hot tub. On our last day some ducklings got stuck in the pool so the staff worked hard at getting them out carefully.

Cabana Suite (our Suite)-
Large sleeping area with separate living. We had two queens and the couch pulls out into a full size bed. This room can sleep six if you do not mind sleeping on the very uncomfortable pull out bed. We finally rolled the bed back in and my daughter slept on the couch. There was a small refrigerator and coffee maker with complimentary coffee. There is no microwave. The furniture looked new and was of nice quality. The ample drawers were very nice. Parking is below the room so you must walk up a few stairs but easy to pop in and out. Very large vanity area separate from the shower and toilet area. The room has a good sized balcony that overlooks the pool. The room was plenty big if you needed a space for family to meet up. This room is larger than the Tower Suites. It had ants. See details below.

Tower Suite-
Same description as above but smaller in size so there is less room to move around in. Clean room. Parking is in the general area.

Club Floor-
Typical Sheraton room but located on the Club Floor. Room was clean. Lighting was terrible. The Club Floor breakfast was only pastries and fruits served Monday through Friday. Open 24/7 but not impressive or worth the upgrade.

Ants- The rooms are clean but our bath area had a handful of spastic ants so the staff while we were were gone to spray. The staff was very apologetic. It only made the situation worse and more ants came. They offered to move us to another suite and also offered staff to help us move. I checked the room out before we moved and the other suite had more ants. We decided to stay in our room and kill the ants when we noticed them. We kept our luggage off the floor and not near the bath area. They were localized to the bath and toilet area. The kids were freaking out for about a day and then the next day I found ants on our bed linens. They probably got transferred there but we were being careful. I called the office again, this time upset because our clothing now had ants in them. The kids were not happy. They asked what they could do to make us happy. I explained that they should not book this room after we leave because it would not be right to put someone else in the same situation. The staff explained to me that Ants are a regular nuisance in the Cabana Suites and they know they are there. They spray frequently. That infuriated me. I am not a fan of spraying toxins where my children sleep and the fact that this situation happens all the time?

In good nature, I can not give a quality rating because they are just covering up the problem. This is a shame because the grounds are beautiful and the front staff went above and beyond trying to make us comfortable.

Room Tip: Cabana suites have loud ac and ants but larger rooms and easier access.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank caramy5029
rlangley, General Manager at Sheraton San Jose Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I am sorry that the ant problem was not permanently fixed while you were here; it sounds like that definitely changed your overall experience. I would have felt as annoyed as you did to find ants all over, and I sincerely apologize. We treated the rooms again after you left so that our next guests did not have to go through the same. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Aside from this, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the space in the cabana suite and the view.Thank you for your feedback and I hope that you would visit again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We arrived very, very late to this hotel due to some delayed flights. We were greetly warmly by the staff. There was a little confusion because we had asked for a room with two beds but by the time we arrived they only had kings available. Not to worry because the front desk agent put us into one of their "suites" with 2 double beds. It was a very nice room and we had a good nights sleep. Due to our late arrival and the need to depart early we didn't get a chance to really explore the hotel or dine in the restaurants. Next time we return to the area it would be our top choice to stay again. Everything looked to be in great condition. It was an easy and short drive to reach this hotel from SJC...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
rlangley, General Manager at Sheraton San Jose Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
I am glad to hear that even with a short stay, you were well taken care of by our front desk team! Our Sweet Sleeper Beds are truly enjoyable and very relaxing. I hope that on your next visit you will have more time to explore the property itself and all that it has to offer.
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit!
Malibu, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

This property is great because its what you expect. Solid concierge lounge, a recently renovated gym, nice outdoor pool and spa. Right on freeway but I found my room to be quiet even though on freeway side. Staff super friendly, I was upgraded to a very nice suite. Bar and restaurant so you can stay in. Both wireless and wired Internet, which is quite rare anymore. Solid connection if moving around files etc. lots of places to eat nearby, I often find every other guest works for Cisco. For extra space you can request a cabana room, I actually like those rooms. Nice beds, wish I had better water pressure. Clean, friendly. Won't blow you away, won't disappoint. Reasonable rates for a full service hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
The cabana rooms are a great choice especially if you were staying longer. It is a very spacious room and it is right by the pool! Thank you sharing your feedback with us and our future guests. I appreciate your business and hope to see you again.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel was comfortable (beds are great) and spacious. The big problem for me was the location. It is not near any restaurants or anything else for that matter. It is situated among a bunch of Silicon Valley businesses so be prepared to drive for anything you need.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Suitcaseismycloset
rlangley, General Manager at Sheraton San Jose Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond. We appreciate your comments about the room and attentive staff. You are right about the location, we are in the middle of a business park at the corner of Santa Clara, San Jose and Milpitas. If you don't have a car; you are stuck hanging out in your room or by the pool. Let us know the next time you are here. We can certainly get you to work and back. We can also link you up with public transportation or a reliable cab service.

Thanks again for telling us about your stay,
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

First, the not-so-good things: I kept looking for more lights in the room but there were just 2 lamps - one by the bed and one by the TV. I had to carry things into the bathroom to read the labels. The hall closet had a flickery fluorescent light, which I immediately turned off.
I tried to adjust the shower head to get better water pressure, but it never felt like it was totally washing the shampoo out of my hair.
The good things: the staff members were all super friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable and sheets/blankets were nice. Lots of pillows, but all too big for me. I like the desk to work at and there were a couple of plugs on the desktop so you don't have to crawl around on the floor looking for power. Nice little patio with a couple of chairs and a view of the hills.

Room Tip: get a view of the hills and a decent size patio in room 821 and I think most rooms on that side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank slambiase
While we would love to hear only praise, we do appreciate your taking the time to share your experience. While the lights by the bed, reclining chair and desk are usually enough for me, I agree with you on the shower. I like to adjust the dial so I get the strong spray rather than the rain shower. I also agree with your choice of rooms. Everyone seems to prefer the pool view, but I really like the mountains, even if it is the same side as the highway.

I'll be sure to let the staff know that they are making a difference for our guests.

Thanks again,
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

A well located hotel close to the centre of Milpitas with easy access to San Jose. Suites facing the central courtyard and pool are definitely the best choice, otherwise you're left with an unattractive view of the highway. Food OK but nothing special.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the central courtyard for the best view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
rlangley, General Manager at Sheraton San Jose Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for telling us and our future guests about your recent stay, we appreciate the feedback. Our hotel is conveniently located close to the freeway and yet it provides a very peaceful environment when you are relaxing in the courtyard or by the pool. We appreciate your business and hope to see you here again!
New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

The setting: The Sheraton in Milpitas is right off the highway, so access is very easy. It is right next to a giant mall, in case you decide to head to the movies. You are about a ten minute drive from San Jose downtown and twenty minutes from some of the suburbs. The hotel is medium sized and well maintained. There is a nice pool area with a waterfall water feature. There is a restaurant attached to this property, but there are much better options in town. There is also plenty of free parking at this property.

The rooms: This property has the same nondescript rooms as any other Sheraton. There are a couple significant disappoints though. First the water pressure is low, making the shower-head with its two setting an exercise in frustration. Second, the room lacks a safe. This is not a super budget property; lacking a safe is unacceptable, in my opinion. Thirdly, the air conditioner was extremely noisy. This meant either sleep soundly and sweat profusely or suffer the rattle all night. Lastly, there are no easily accessible electrical outlets by the bedside tables, which is very inconvenient. It would have also been nice to have the television channel line-up list in the room, instead of spending frustrating minutes looking for the news or specific entertainment. The $10/day internet is ridiculous, but of course it is standard industry practice to gouge the customer.

All in all, if you are able to snatch a room here under $100/night, as I did last minute, this is a good option. Otherwise, any Hyatt Place will be a much better value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
rlangley, General Manager at Sheraton San Jose Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay. Your comments about the water pressure and air conditioning unit are appreciated as this provides us with the opportunity to improve. Secured wireless/wired internet access in the room is available for a premium; however, complimentary internet access is available at the Link by Sheraton in the lobby and also in the restaurant. A channel listing is available on both the TV itself and in the guest services directory that is placed in every room and safes are available at the front desk for our guests’ use. We hope that you would stay again, thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milpitas
Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose
Crowne Plaza San Jose - Silicon Valley
Hilton Garden Inn San Jose/Milpitas
Courtyard Milpitas Silicon Valley
HYATT House San Jose/Silicon Valley
Hampton Inn Milpitas
Hampton Inn Milpitas
#1 of 20 in Milpitas

Been to Sheraton San Jose Hotel? Share your experiences!