“Average stay, some rooms significantly better than others”

Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed here this past weekend for two, non-consecutive nights and stayed in two different rooms.

The first night I was put into room 612 which was a courtyard facing room on an SPG preferred floor (floors 6-8 are SPG preferred, floor 9 is club) with a view of the valley. The hallway and room itself were bright, impeccably clean, and looked like they had undergone a recent renovation. The room was also definitely on the larger side of hotel rooms that I had stayed in before. The only thing that made my stay less than enjoyable that night was a connecting door to the room next to me which didn't lock properly. Noise pollution is always a pet peeve of mine when staying at any hotel and although the walls of the room felt solid, the fact that there was a connecting door meant I could hear every cough from the neighboring room and their early morning activities. There are also no door sweeps on the front doors which means that you can hear doors slamming as people leave their rooms in the morning and housekeeping moving from room to room.

The second night I checked in the desk agent informed me that I had been blocked into a 4th floor room (non-spg floor), despite my gold SPG membership and the fact that I had requested in advance to be put into a higher floor room. I politely asked her if there was anything available on one of the SPG floors and after confirming that I would be checking out at the normal time the next day she was able to put me into room 824. This room was definitely much better than the last as it had no connecting door and came with a balcony and awesome views of the valley. The room was again, large, clean, and looked like it had recently been renovated. The only negative was that the heater in this room didn't seem to work properly as I set the thermostat to 75 at night and woke up with the room being 63. I felt the heater periodically before going to bed as well and it was only blowing slightly warmer than room temperature air.

Overall the facilities and rooms were nice and the hotel provides decent value for the price point, however it does seem like a shot in the dark as to what your experience will be depending on where you are put in the hotel. I can't comment on the restaurant, gym, or other facilities as I really only used the hotel to sleep. Location was good with easy access to the freeway and a large shopping complex about a mile down the road.

Room Tip: 8th floor tower rooms facing courtyard/pool are nice as they have a balcony and great views.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
rlangley, General Manager at Sheraton San Jose Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience here at the San Jose Sheraton Hotel. Our goal is to consistently provide guests with a great experience here regardless of the room assigned and with your feedback; we will be able to address some of the issues that you mentioned.

Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

I travel to the area frequently and I can say that there are much better options in the area after staying. I booked this property seeing the decent reviews, and instead had an unpleasant stay. I wish someone had warned me about the issues at the property.

Pros: fewest starpoints required in the area

Cons:
- parking is a pain, by the time you were able to find a spot, it was a bit of a walk to the main entrance
- slow wifi for $10
- LOUD heater in the room running like a train, the train runs every now and then, so good luck falling asleep in between
- no outlet for 3-pronged plugs for your laptop on either side of the bed
- lack of upgrade for spg gold, had to forego king bed if I even want a regular room in higher floors
- false room description, the room description for my reservation says bliss bath products, not true for my room.

I know starwood is opening a few new properties in the area this year, hopefully it's much better than this one, it's definitely worth a 15 minute drive to somewhere else for a more pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank stardream

I am sorry that your recent experience here was not up to your expectations; however, I do appreciate the feedback that you have provided. Your frustration with the lack of the 3-pronged outlets to accommodate your electronic devices is understandable and we have those available at the front desk when needed.
This hotel is only one of a few left, which continues to provide complimentary parking to all the guests. It has been using Shine for Sheraton™ products for many years now. It is conveniently located close to many of the Silicon Valley businesses and is often the hotel of choice for many of their associates. We have a consistently high number of SPG guests who stay with us regularly and we are not able to accommodate every request for an upgrade all the time because we have a limited number of the preferred rooms and suites.
Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The hotel is somewhat outdated. Rooms are clean. Breakfast in adjacent restaurant.
I never paid for wifi.
The hotel has 2 wifi networks when you switch from one to the other you get always a 24 hours free access. Keep it silent ;-)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
rlangley, General Manager at Sheraton San Jose Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

The hotel is very well maintained and clean. The rooms are spacious, with comfortable Sweet Sleeper beds. The breakfast buffet is available 7-days a week, in addition to many other healthy options in the Bistro restaurant.
Wi-Fi is not complimentary in the guestrooms and as you mentioned, our guests can occasionally access the free Wi-Fi that is available in the public areas where the signal may not be consistent because of other open Wi-Fi networks that may interfere. We also have the Link at Sheraton, located in the lobby and available 24-7, where our registered guests can use one of the complimentary computer terminals for their business needs such as printing or simply to connect with their friends and family. Thank you for giving us your feedback about your experience here at the San Jose Sheraton Hotel.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at this property on the way to Mammoth to spend Christmas with family. Having been on the road for 17 hours due to severe weather, the hotel was a welcome retreat and pleasant surprise for the amount of Starwood points for one room. The staff was very friendly, professional, and accommodating. Being a Gold member, I was upgraded and was given to option to select from two superior rooms. Since I was travelling with my family, I decided on the Bungalow suite by the pool. This was a spacious one bedroom with a pull-out bed in the living room enough to sleep 4+ comfortably. The bedroom bed was very comfortable, the bathroom clean and a good size, and both rooms had flat-screen TVs. The room over looked the grounds which had a large waterfall, pool/hot-tub, and was well landscaped. My only complaint was with the hot tub. Although it was fairly hot, the knob to control the jets was broken so you could not turn it on. Other than that, I would recommend this property to any traveler driving through San Jose – especially Starwood members.

Room Tip: Be a Gold Starwood member and get an upgrade.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
rlangley, General Manager at Sheraton San Jose Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

It is indeed a good experience for Starwood members! While enjoying a restful evening here on one of our Seet Sleeper beds (which you can purchase on sheraton.com/store), you can also be earning additional points so that you can be on your way to the next level of SPG membership. It is a very rewarding program.

In addition to our suites, our traditional rooms are also as very spacious and clean. So I hope that you will stop by again to enjoy our hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent experience here.

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

It's your canned clean and white tiled hotel with very basic outlook . Nothing against it but it could do with some jazzing up. Menu options are very limited and after the second day there's not much left to explore. However I would stay here again for the location alone.

• Stayed: June 2012
rlangley, General Manager at Sheraton San Jose Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.
We are in the planning stages of upgrading some of our hotel's features; however, it is conveniently located close to the freeway and other businesses in the area which makes it accessible to many. In addition, we have complimentary parking available to all of our guests asie from many other amenities that enhance our guests' stay. Our menu is updated regularly throughout the year and we have a lot of healthy options to choose from so that our guests can still stay fit while traveling.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Have stayed here in the past, as it close to our corporate headquarters, was a tired kind of property, kind of sleepy and generally not the greatest experience.

Not sure what happened - but place is still the same - vibe is different. Gym has been moved - larger, sunnier, more equipment - its good. Club Lounge - good stuff served; staff are humming - like everyone is very friendly and welcoming which kinds of makes you feel better when travelling far from home; and the bar was rather hopping last night - we had a business meeting and decided to stay there an nosh on the appetizers rather than going anywhere else. Wine sampling event was great - apps are good - although some healthier options would be a good idea.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
rlangley, General Manager at Sheraton San Jose Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

It is great to know that the changes we have made to improve our services are being noticed by our guests. We are continuing to focus on improving which have made our team proud and happy to be a part of the San Jose Sheraton.

Thank you for your feedback! We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Big room, very comfortable double beds. Big flat screen tv with heater. Bathroom is spacious and very clean indeed. I am very grateful of the hot shower after returning from the chilly weather near to 17 mile pebble beach. Only disappointed at the availability of wifi is on paid basis. Also location is less favorable and out from basic amenities.

• Stayed: December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay here at the San Jose Sheraton Hotel.

Although WiFi is a paid service in the guest rooms, there are several other areas of the hotel where complimentary WiFi is available, such as in the lobby and in the restaurant. We also have the Link at Sheraton where you can have complimentary use of the computers, if you are a registered guest, and the capability to print documents as you go.

Depending on your reasons for visiting the area, the hotel location can be viewed differently. It is conveniently located close to many of the Silicon Valley business offices which makes it very accessible for the business travelers. There may be a need to have a car, if you would like to explore San Jose or the rest of the bay area; however, parking is complimentary, which is rare in many hotels.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Milpitas
Crowne Plaza San Jose - Silicon Valley
#1 of 20 in Milpitas
Hilton Santa Clara
Hilton Santa Clara
#1 of 32 in Santa Clara

Been to Sheraton San Jose Hotel? Share your experiences!