“A Bright Spot in Milpitas”

Best Western Plus Brookside Inn
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I booked my stay with some trepidation after reading some of the other reviews. I used an online service to reserve my room, and am very glad that I did. On arrival I discovered that my reservation had been mistakenly entered for the wrong days, though I can understand why, since it seems that new arrivals rarely come in on weekends.

The clerk was able to offer use of the business center, a PC in the Lobby, and once I printed out my reservation confirmation she not only fixed the errors with my reservation, but checked me in right away (it was 10 AM). The staff was always friendly and helpful, and very unobtrusive.

There was a full breakfast available in a nice little area above the Lobby, but I didn't take advantage of it, and so won't be able to offer any opinion.

My room was spacious and clean. A single king-sized bed dominated the room, and I have to say that it was the highest bed I have ever encountered. It has been many years since I had to climb up onto a bed, and the mattress was much too soft for my taste. My body sunk into the bedding so that my feet were elevated at all times, but I won't complain since this is a matter of personal preference.

The seating in the room was extremely comfortable, and honestly was my favorite part of the room.

There is much mention of the smell, which is expected, since Milpitas is located in a spot that will naturally have the wetlands smell because of its location at the South end of the bay. I have to say that there was no odor evident for the entire period of my stay.

The pool area is small, but clean and very nice. It was quiet while I was there, even though the hotel is surrounded by high traffic thoroughfares and freeways.

The hotel is in the heart of a business district and is surrounded by strip malls, and is only a short drive from the Great Mall (which was far smaller than expected). Get good directions though, because the Great Mall is anything but easy to find.

The neighborhood is a bit run down and I wouldn't recommend any late night strolls, but there was no evidence of a dangerous element or anything like that.

If you have reason to stay in Milpitas, I do recommend the Best Western Brookside Inn.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrSmith019
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Brookside Inn

Reviewed February 16, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for the convenience that it was outside of the big cities and near the important highways.
We stayed for one nite and we were very satisfied, the staff was very nice and very helpful and the room was clean. We had a nice balcony with a view of the mountains.
Breakfast was an all american type, donuts and cereal but it was good and satisfactory.
We would go back to this hotel and we recommended to anybody.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2008

Things to consider if you are thinking about staying at this hotel:

1) Location: Milpitas isn't exactly a garden spot, and we could often smell either a dump or sewage smell. This applies to the entire area, not just this hotel, I should point out.
2) No elevator
3) Room was a bit small by US standards
4) King size bed was quite comfy
5) The desk clerk was asleep when we arrived in the early evening.
6) The hotel room smelled a bit musty. The carpet in the hallways smelled worse.
7) The hotel seemed relatively quiet, even when it was full.
8) When we tried to request a wake-up call, the staff never answered the phone. Called multiple times.
9) Nice balcony, but no chairs or tables on it, which makes it difficult to use.
10) The price is ok considering the area. Silly Con Valley is all overpriced in my opinion.

Overall an OK place in a pinch, but has nothing that makes me want to go back. We picked it because it is near our relative's place, and it was the least expensive decent place. We won't go back; we'll stay in a nicer, less expensive place that is a bit further away and just drive to see the relatives.

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Stayed 1 night only. The rooms are fine - clean & comfortable with AC. Unfortunately there is no Lift !!
There was some problem with the plumbing - we were awoken very early by what sounded like a drilling noise from the bathroom. A bang on the pipes under the sink sorted it - temporarily in any case.
I don't know why they bother offering a breakfast. The coffee and juice were awful. The selection of food limited. The scrambled eggs were OK. Plastic cutlery.
Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank pgb2
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Our stay was nice. I found the room clean and well kept.
The bed was a little high off the floor. Had to step up to get on and off the bed. The faucet handle in the shower was a concern for me.
We didn't have children with us,but the faucet handle was very touchy. Even if you didn't turn it very far left,you could easily get scalded. The continental full breakfast could have used more variety in what they offered. Some fresh fruit would have been nice.
Or skim milk with what they offered in dry cereal. Other than that,
the room was a good value for the money.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2008

Great place to stay. The rooms were remodeled w/big sony tv's and all the comcast cable channels that we get at home. Even the internet is comcast cable so it was not only free but faster than the DSL's

I will definately stay here again. My big thumbs up!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Rupmehta
Reviewed March 4, 2008

Given the rates at surrounding properties in the area, Brookside is a great deal. The room, although on the small side compared to nearby suite hotels, was clean, quiet and smelled fresh. The mattress was exceptionally comfortable. The folks at the front desk were friendly and helpful, giving me a choice of rooms/floors and making sure I had everything I needed. The fee for bringing a dog was very reasonable at 10 dollars a night. The room rate was also one of the lowest in the area. The property is located within 1/4 mile of Interstate 880/Highway 237. The hot breakfast was appropriate for meat eaters and vegetarians, alike, and was filling. The pool is undergoing renovations at this time and is not available. There was a mini-fridge, a coffee-maker and a microwave in the room. I highly recommend this property for businesspeople (bring your laptop), for pet owners and for those who just want a convenient, friendly home base from which to explore the area.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo