“Okay....”

Best Western Plus Brookside Inn
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Milpitas
Reviewed July 4, 2011

online this hotel seemed normal, fine, and clean..but in person it is terrible. First off when my family and i arrived at the hotel we had tons of luggage and there was no ELEVATOR! how could the hotel excpet us to carry every single thing up a flight of stairs?!? but thankfully there were only 2 levels. Second when we were heading up to our rooms the hallways were so HOTTT,. we were sweating after like 5 mins. Thrid, when we arrived in our room it smelt like cigarettes, clearly we order a NON-SMOKING room but, still it stunk! I can honestly say the best part about the hotel was the free breakfast , the bathroom and the beds. Overall i can say the hotel was sorta 'alright'.P.S.- our room key kept deactivating everyday day. >:(. Plus free wifi sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 6, 2011

We went to a concert at the Shoreline Ampitheatre and wanted something close by but didnt want to spend a bunch of money. This was the right place. It was clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff was helpful. The breakfast was o.k. too and they have an inexpensive happy hour. The hotel is older and feels a little worn but I wasnt disappointed for a 2.5 star.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I travel frequently and use trip advisor to plan all my stays but this is my first review. My wife and I stayed at the Best Western Brookside for 1 night, May 19, 2011, booked through Expedia for $42. The price on bestwestern.com was $99 and priceline was $72 so it pays to shop around.

This hotel was fantastic. The rooms have recently been renovated and are beautiful. Tastefully decorated and fully equipped with large flat panel tv, fridge, micro, desk, lounge chair and one of the most comfortable king beds I've ever slept in. Even the shower was great. The room was also very clean. After an 18 hour drive from Vancouver, we could not have asked for anything better at 3 times the price.

The breakfast was above average with several hot items, sausage, eggs, waffles etc and very good coffee and juice machines. I noticed after breakfast hours they opened it up to the staff which I thought was a nice touch too.

The staff we encountered were friendly and efficient without being fake. The only criticism I could possibly make is that the pool was smallish and not that clean, but we had no intention of using it.

If you have reason to be in this area and can find a price like we did, trust me, you will not be disappointed. We were pleased to the point of being giddy.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lowroller111
Reviewed April 6, 2011

Best Westerns in my opinion are hit and miss. Some are no better than sleazy motels but there are some like this one that I stayed at in Milpitas that are just unbelievably wonderful. The room was beautifully decorated, very clean and if you were on the 2nd floor you had the enjoyment of a private balcony. When my husband and I got to our room, we couldn't figure out how to operate the air conditioner, we called the front desk and within minutes someone was knocking at our door to check on the situation, it was determined that the air conditioner was not working in that room, so we were moved to another room down the hall. Very efficient service. The free hot breakfast was great, scrambled eggs, sausage, potatos, bagels, waffles and Starbucks coffee! Can you get a better free breakfast than that? I would definetly stay here again. I am highly recommending this hotel. Don't waste your money staying at the Embassy Suite or the other "higher end" hotels in this area, you will get everything those hotels have to offer when you stay at the Best Western Brookside Inn. I loved this place.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jhane10
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I booked my stay with some trepidation after reading some of the other reviews. I used an online service to reserve my room, and am very glad that I did. On arrival I discovered that my reservation had been mistakenly entered for the wrong days, though I can understand why, since it seems that new arrivals rarely come in on weekends.

The clerk was able to offer use of the business center, a PC in the Lobby, and once I printed out my reservation confirmation she not only fixed the errors with my reservation, but checked me in right away (it was 10 AM). The staff was always friendly and helpful, and very unobtrusive.

There was a full breakfast available in a nice little area above the Lobby, but I didn't take advantage of it, and so won't be able to offer any opinion.

My room was spacious and clean. A single king-sized bed dominated the room, and I have to say that it was the highest bed I have ever encountered. It has been many years since I had to climb up onto a bed, and the mattress was much too soft for my taste. My body sunk into the bedding so that my feet were elevated at all times, but I won't complain since this is a matter of personal preference.

The seating in the room was extremely comfortable, and honestly was my favorite part of the room.

There is much mention of the smell, which is expected, since Milpitas is located in a spot that will naturally have the wetlands smell because of its location at the South end of the bay. I have to say that there was no odor evident for the entire period of my stay.

The pool area is small, but clean and very nice. It was quiet while I was there, even though the hotel is surrounded by high traffic thoroughfares and freeways.

The hotel is in the heart of a business district and is surrounded by strip malls, and is only a short drive from the Great Mall (which was far smaller than expected). Get good directions though, because the Great Mall is anything but easy to find.

The neighborhood is a bit run down and I wouldn't recommend any late night strolls, but there was no evidence of a dangerous element or anything like that.

If you have reason to stay in Milpitas, I do recommend the Best Western Brookside Inn.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrSmith019
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for the convenience that it was outside of the big cities and near the important highways.
We stayed for one nite and we were very satisfied, the staff was very nice and very helpful and the room was clean. We had a nice balcony with a view of the mountains.
Breakfast was an all american type, donuts and cereal but it was good and satisfactory.
We would go back to this hotel and we recommended to anybody.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2008

Things to consider if you are thinking about staying at this hotel:

1) Location: Milpitas isn't exactly a garden spot, and we could often smell either a dump or sewage smell. This applies to the entire area, not just this hotel, I should point out.
2) No elevator
3) Room was a bit small by US standards
4) King size bed was quite comfy
5) The desk clerk was asleep when we arrived in the early evening.
6) The hotel room smelled a bit musty. The carpet in the hallways smelled worse.
7) The hotel seemed relatively quiet, even when it was full.
8) When we tried to request a wake-up call, the staff never answered the phone. Called multiple times.
9) Nice balcony, but no chairs or tables on it, which makes it difficult to use.
10) The price is ok considering the area. Silly Con Valley is all overpriced in my opinion.

Overall an OK place in a pinch, but has nothing that makes me want to go back. We picked it because it is near our relative's place, and it was the least expensive decent place. We won't go back; we'll stay in a nicer, less expensive place that is a bit further away and just drive to see the relatives.

Stayed: September 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milpitas
Hilton Garden Inn San Jose/Milpitas
Sonesta Silicon Valley San Jose
Embassy Suites by Hilton Milpitas Silicon Valley
Hampton Inn Milpitas
Hampton Inn Milpitas
#1 of 20 in Milpitas
Crowne Plaza San Jose - Silicon Valley
Best Western Plus Garden Court Inn

Been to Best Western Plus Brookside Inn? Share your experiences!