“Impressed every time, but waits seems longer and longer...”
Review of Banana Leaf

Banana Leaf
Ranked #2 of 330 Restaurants in Milpitas
Cuisines: Malaysian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is an old favorite of my family and many of my friends. I've gone there many times it's always really crowded, long lines, lunch or dinner. But the food more than makes up for it. The service is very busy and rushed too. But if you get in late or early, they'll occasionally throw in a dessert! This is one of the most successful Malaysian/Thai restaurant in the south bay area. My suggestion is to get in early (say 11:30am for lunch, especially on Fridays), and little later (say 9+pm for dinners). Since they don't take reservations, it's just a long queue. If you haven't tried Malaysian/Singaporean/Thai food before, this is a real good start - you'll start loving the cuisine!

1  Thank FamilyTraveller44

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I haven't been to Banana Leaf in a very, very long time, and not because it was never good, but I've been under some strict workout regimen and diet. The only reason I ended up eating here was because I met up with a friend for dinner and boy, did I not regret it at all!!!!

My friend happened to know the manager so right away, we were seated and waited on immediately. We first started off with a drink. I went with the Sake Mojito, which was recommended by the waiter. Great choice and definitely a different taste, but no regrets. My friend went with a Lychee Martini, which he thought was to fluff for him. So we ended up getting Sake for the remainder of the evening.

For an appetizer, we went with the Roti Prata and you definitely cannot go wrong with that. It was definitely delicious. From there, I chose the Indian Mee Goreng; something I typically always get and my friend chose the Basil Fried Rice and Singaporean Black Pepper Chicken. Thank goodness it is served family style because the dishes he chose were simply fantastic!!!! The Singaporean Black Pepper Chicken, although very spicy, was absolutely the best!!!! As for the Basil Friend Rice, I definitely cannot complain especially since I hardly eat rice anymore. But let's not forget my Indian Mee Goreng, it was delicious as always.

To end the night, we had the fried banana with mango ice cream. Although it wasn't served like I've normally seen them serve it, it was great just the same. The hot tea to cap the night off was yummy too!

Reviewed February 27, 2012

Went here with a work colleague (both our first visit but had heard good reports) for an early dinner and got seated quickly.

Such a wide and great selection of Asian food (Malaysian) made for difficult selection but we selected 3 appetizers and 2 mains with a plain rice side and ALL the food was amazing... Totally amazing - fresh, hot and full of flavour. I lived in HK for 2 years and have travelled extendively in Asia and love Asian food and this was superb. Service was also excellent as were the prices. Our large feast plus 4 Asian beers came to $66 which was superb for the amount of food we had.

We both agreed we'd be coming back on a regular basis... Well done Banana Leaf, keep it up you deserve your slot at the top of eating places in Milpitas. I think you are a top place to eat in North Cal.

1  Thank Roberts69
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We dined in this restaurant today but were disapointed. The price is is higher than most similar restaurants but the amount is small, and there is nothing outstanding in the quality. I do not understand why it is always crowded. Maybe it is all for the decoration and atmosphere.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

Surprising gem tucked away in a strip mall on McCarthy Rd. Silicon Valley attracts and demands quality and uniqueness, and this is a gem. Impressive menu-- very good Asian food. Some surprises along with the traditional fare. Wait staff is fast and efficient. Nice wine list. Ambience -- noisy. For an appetizer -- try the Roti -- perfectly sauced and nicely priced. Mango prawns for main course was attractively served up in hollowed out mango shells. Brown rice accompanied -- when requested. A banana sauced up with almonds and appropriately sized ice cream scoops -- nice surprise. All in all, this is a place you want to go to for food -- go in, order, eat, and then depart. Not a place for you to leisurely order courses -- they are just too busy and rely on you to help them turn their tables! So if you know that going in, its all good. I can't wait to return.