“The Thurman's”

Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is a great place to spend the night and leave your car. It has a lot to offer I have stayed at this motel for the last 3 years. I park, eat , drink have a nice dinner go to bed and get on the van go to the SFO airport . Come back in a week get the van they load my luggage, take me to my car and to the Valley I go (Home) I hate to write this review they may run out of rooms for me.

The Managers take pride in your confort, I never have heard a train.

Room Tip: Suits are large and confortable, really great for familys
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary T

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was a little worried after I realized that this was a park and fly motel (I have had bad experiences with them in the LAX area), but the El Rancho Inn was a great place to stay for 2 nights while we visited San Francisco sites. The room was nicely decorated, very comfortable and clean, and was quiet. We did heed the advice of other reviewers and requested a room in the front section of the hotel (furthest away from the train tracks). Consequently, we slept very well (maybe the best on our 2 week driving trip). The breakfast was all pre-prepared food (mini-quiches for the eggs, etc) but was very high quality for what it was and offered some healthy choices (fresh fruit, cereals).

There are lots of dining choices nearby. We especially enjoyed O' Sole Mio on Broadway - delicious.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christine93013
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I needed to leave my vehicle near the SF airport for a bit over two weeks. I'd heard of this place from friends & decided to try it. I was pleasantly surprised. The motel was clean & comfortable, the tile in the bath is a bit retro, but clean & well maintained.

You do leave your car key with them & they do move your car off-site to a secure lot while you're gone, but it's waiting for you when you return, and they drop you ff right at the vehicle. Other than being a bit dirty it was just fine. Once I cleaned the windshield I was ready to go.

Because of an overnight flight schedule I took a room at the end of the trip also. When I got back to the motel they gave me my car keys and a room key & dropped me off at the room where my vehicle was parked waiting, No additional check-in, just welcome to your room. I did have the option to cancel the return room if I desired as long as I did it early. I opted to stay due to the lack of sleep on the flights. I was a welcome choice.

My trip ran over the prescribed time in the original night's stay parking allotment,but the additional days were quite reasonable. The return room rate was almost 1/2 of the original night's rate that included the parking.

There is a complimentary continental breakfast that begins very early for early flights. On site there is The Terrace, a menu restaurant you can choose at your expense (also room service from the same menu). After not being able to eat fresh vegetables or lettuce unless cooked or peeled I was delighted to have their Shrimp Louie for my return lunch. I also had breakfast there & was delighted with the quality of the food. A Joe's Special scramble was properly done & not greasy. Toast was an additional dollar, but at the moderate price for the eggs I didn't feel gouged.

The property is near a large grouping of Asian restaurants along El Camino Real, and there's a parallel business district one block west.. lots of choices for food i the area. I opted for a 20min freeway ride around the mountain to the west & had a seaside, seafood dinner in Pacifica. A nice indulgence at the end of the trip.

I have to fly again in October, I'll be staying here again.

Room Tip: My Central building room was quiet & comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank EffStop
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed here in July on a family trip to San Francisco. We originally looked into staying in San Francisco proper, but decided to stay on the outskirts of town to save some $$. Decided to stay here based on the reviews. I was a little nervous abouty the train noise reviews. Actually, we hardly heard the train. We stayed in a suite which is located two buildings down from the main hotel. The pictures online make the hotel look nicer than it is. Its not dumpy by any means, but definitely not upscale. The staff were pleasant, but not extremely friendly. The room was comfortable and decent. Interestingly, some of the suites looked like long term housing for some. There were plants, and barbeque units outside on the deck of several units. Overall, it was a good hotel. The breakfast offered seemed a little skimpy but there was enough to chose from to satisfy even the pickiest of my eaters. Would I stay here again, yes. But my expectations would be lowered just a tad. Not enough to deter me from a stay, however.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hotel was good, I would stay here again (do to lack of better options in this price range). I would not stay at there best western.com price or the price quoted by the front desk staff. I was able to book this room for just over $100 a night with tax and I would say at that price yes it was a good deal for the area. The $160 to $200 a night H@// no I would look somewhere else. The cafe at the hotel was less then impressive for breakfast, witch was the only meal we had here, It was bad enough that we didn't want to try any other meals here. The bar down stairs with the windows that looked in to the pool was really cool, only catch is that is not the bar for the cafe it is a bar for special events. Pool was small but nice it was salt water so great for sensitive skin. the building, and the pool and spa area were really cool looking. My wife and I stayed for 4 nights and I would say the room was Okay It was a bit small and dated (except the TV was newer). The pictures of the rooms online are a bit of a lie. The commuter train is noticeable but bearable. The front desk staff was friendly but I would probably let some of the free departure snack staff go, the older Hispanic ladies in that area were rude and kinda snotty, for the price of the place they should be more helpful. Millbrae was a cool little town. I would highly recommend a little Italian restaurant down town Millbrae called O' Sole Mio price was great, food was amazing, and service was perfect.

Room Tip: its only about 15 to 20 mins to fisherman's wharf as long as your not trying to go to early in t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank matt11655
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed here due to our 6:00am flight and needed to leave our car for 16 days--nice room, we were on the bottom floor- quiet

-the airport transportation was on time and the pickup from the airpost was on time- just call and they were there within 15 minute of the call-

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank djleach2
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My first visit was a very late arrival and I was placed at the very back part of the property in a smaller room bordering lots of traffic noise on the other side of a wooden fence. It was either that or pulling luggage upstairs (no elevator) in the wee hours of the morning. I was happy with just being on a lower level. Since I had not rented a car, I didn't care that I couldn't park at the door (no parking on that side of the building). The second visit was an evening arrival and I got a choice room across from the restaurant and nearer the entrance. It was a larger room and I was very happy there.

This is a large complex of several different buildings all strung together, two stories w/o elevator (one building indicated an elevator but I was told that there were none), an outdoor pool, nice landscaping, when maintained, and it includes a continental breakfast that they called a departure snack. That included items that were grab and go, plus coffee and orange juice. There is seating if you want to grab and sit!

I stayed here at the beginning and end of a trip to San Francisco due to the hotel being nearer the airport and having a free shuttle to/from the airport, which worked for me. Look into the independent shuttle service for getting in and out of San Francisco, which you can get from the airport. I didn't look into it and paid $60 for a cab ride from the city to the hotel. I was told that the shuttle would have only been $15. If you don't mind walking a bit, the BART is also an option for in/out of the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inner court if you want to park near your room. The place also has a park and...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
Millwood Inn & Suites
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame

Been to Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn? Share your experiences!