2,233 results
All reviewspark and flydeparture snackterrace cafeleave your carsan franciscoupon returngreat parktrain noiseon site restaurantsfo airportthe shuttle drivercomplimentary breakfastlong term parkinggreat place to stayrooms are cleanfree parkingan early flight
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed in the hotel from September 3 to September 5, 2011.
The hotel was fully prepaid. On check-in, they requested my credit card. Why do you need a credit card for the prepaid booking. "Corporate policy" - no smile, steel in voice. Ok, fine, yet smile would be nice.

On check-out, the clerk (quite rude, I would imagine) refused to provide the receipt. "You are prepaid. You don't need one" - no smile, steel in voice, although different clerk. Is no smile a corporate policy as well?

I can live without receipt, no problem, but guess what? On returning home I see a charge to my credit card.
Email to customer service; follow-up call next day - "They do not inquire with us. We have 7 business days to respond to you". Well, they responded - in just 3 business days (ok, understaffed, overloaded, etc - yet response time can be shorter, trust me).

And yes: they reverse transaction, but I've got 5 dollars less back when I was charged.
Fine, I won't starve to death without my five bucks, but charging me for using my money is not a good business practice worth of more than one star. Oh yes, I added one more star for the hotel itself (only decaffeinated tea, non-diary(!) creamer, difficulty to find a parking spot next to your building).

This was my second stay in Best Western, and charge to my credit card seems a part of their business, although last time it was resolved faster, and my card was credited more than charged to cover rate fluctuations/banking fees. Anyway, constant charges to my card are not something I am willing to tolerate; my vote is - vote with my feet. There's no shortages of hotels, neither in San Francisco, nor globally, and Best Western is now the last option I would consider accomodation.

Room Tip: Do not choose one facing East - you may hear noice from the railroad.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank kirillk
bwelranchoinn, General Manager at Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We're a family run business and try our best to warmly greet all our guests. We'll share your comments with our front desk staff and work towards making sure all guests are greeted in a friendly manner. Please accept our apology for charging your credit card incorrectly. As you noted, the charges were corrected but you incurred a $5 charge as a result of this transaction. We have sent a $10 travel card to make up the difference. If there is anything else we can do to remedy the situation please contact me directly.

Arthur Schwass
650 742-5592

Reviewed September 11, 2011

This is an old tired property that could clearly use some updating. Everything is old - the furniture, the linens, and especially the bathrooms. While it looked clean, the place just reeked of old old old. It a motel, not a hotel.

The only reason we stayed here was for the free parking. If you stay even one night, they allow you to park your car there for your entire trip. Since we were gone for 10 days, we figured this would be a deal. My guess is, this is the reason why most people stay here.

Be ware though that you have to leave them your key so that they can move your car to another lot. Your car is left outside. It's not covered parking. But hey, it's kind of a deal right? That's the best I can say about this place.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank dennycrane888

I'm glad you enjoyed our Park & Fly program. While we are an older property, we are in the process of fully upgrading our rooms. We hope you will try us again in the near future and check out all the exciting changes we are making at the property.

Reviewed September 8, 2011

My husband and I got a bit blindsided by hurricane Irene in New York and needed a place to stay before our flight back to Newark. Based on Trip Advisor reviews, aside from the one that made me paranoid about bedbugs, I decided to give it a try. The shuttle (free!) was easy to pick up from the airport and came right away, and check in was speedy and simple. We were even able to reserve a spot on the morning shuttle for our flight. Since airlines pretty much make you starve unless you want to pay 10 bucks for crackers, we were ravenous, and even though it was very close to closing time at the hotel restaurant, they happily stayed open so we could grab a bite. The room was definitely a bit dated decor-wise and was pretty cramped, but it was very clean, which is more important to me than modern furniture. I was happy we were only staying for one night, because the mattress felt like sleeping on a board! Also, as I had read in previous reviews, the BART train runs right behind the hotel, so it is definitely noisy, but we were so exhausted from traveling that it didnt really matter! The morning checkout and shuttle pickup went very smoothly, and there was a large amount of good food available for free for breakfast. Overall, though I wouldn't pick this property for a long term or vacation stay, it was more than adequate for an airport stay.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank PninaG
Reviewed September 8, 2011

When flying in and out of San Francisco, this is a place hard to beat. We've stayed 4 times at the BW El Rancho and were never disappointed. The setting is very nice. Just like an oasis in the desert. The rooms are VERY clean and well maintained and the beds are very comfortable. Near the airport but far from the noise, we've even stayed there for a few days and commuted to San Francisco to visit a couple years back as you wouldn't find such a deal in town.
Best of all, the restaurant on site is excellent for breakfast and dinner. When going to San Francisco, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JLdesigner
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed here for a night before getting a plane out of San Francisco. The hotel was nice and clean. It is a bit spread out; we got a room close to the front which was nice, but some of the rooms are really far in the back (as we learned from picking up people on the shuttle to the airport). The pool looked fine, but it was freezing so we didn't use that. We also didn't go inside the restaurant although that looked nice too. The area around the hotel is okay. Not much to do in the immediate vicinity, but we did take a $13 cab ride to a mall in the next town which was pretty big and had a movie theater. There is a free shuttle to the airport. The employees didn't seem overly nice, except for the bus driver who was very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple