“LOUD, SMELLS, FLEAS, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, $250 "SMOKING CHARGE"”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
Warwick, New York
“LOUD, SMELLS, FLEAS, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, $250 "SMOKING CHARGE"”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Just stayed this past weekend at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West because I was travelling to San Francisco on a budget. I thought I had made a good decision as the reviews seeemed good, they allow dogs at no charge, free breakfast, free parking, free WIFI, and a kitchen in my room. However, I encountered several problems with this La Quinta. I am a La Quinta gold rewards member and I have stayed at La Quintas all over the United States (at least 20 nights). First problem was at check in: They do not accept CASH as a form of payment, they will only check you in with a credit/debit card. I do not have a credit card and considering my bank is in NY, i can't just go deposit money to my debit card. I pay cash at every hotel I stay in, never been a problem. I had to wait through several phone calls to talk to the woman at check in, and my room still wasnt ready at 4pm. Had to wait an hour to get into my room after a long drive, and be late to a dinner party!! Second problem: Fleas in my room!! My boyfriend and I were itchy the whole weekend, and left with flea bights. My dog now has fleas, which is going to cost us to treat her and our house. Third problem: The hotel was under construction (remodelling rooms next to us) which made for a very noisy/uncomfortable stay. Fourth problem: The WIFI had no password, and was so SLOW that it could not be used to search the internet. Fifth problem: The hotel smelled like sewege/bad plumbing inside and outside of the room. ***SIXTH PROBLEM: MY BOYFRIENDS CARD WAS CHARGED A $250 SMOKING FEE THE DAY AFTER WE CHECKED OUT, ONLY WE DO NOT SMOKE AND WE DID NOT SMOKE ANYTHING IN THE ROOM. HOUSEKEEPING REPORTED THEY "FOUND SOMETHING SMOKE RELATED" IN THE ROOM. I called the hotel and well as "guest services" and they are giving me the run arround. I just spent $530 to loose sleep at a flea infested roadside airport motel that smells, and I'm not happy at all.

3 Thank Allison P
young101, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to write. However, with due respect I will have to disagree with comments regards to our Hotel. This facility is on monthly schedule visit by a nationally recognized pest control agency which regularly checks for any and all problems and a log of activity maintained. There is no record of anything in the activity log. We do understand your frustration about "Smoking Fee". However, I would like to point out this hotel is 100% smoke free facility and we promise to provide our guests a room free of smoke. Each time a room is smoked we isolate the room for an extended period of time for treatment with bio-degradable products. Since the room had to be put out for maintenance, we very reasonably charged $250.00 for cleaning and non-use. Because of safety concerns, we do not accept large cash transactions. Nevertheless, I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused. Hope you will consider staying with us again. Warmest regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Arabic first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Had great time the whole week and enjoyed our stay at La Quinta. Would stay there again if I was ever in the Frisco area. The room was great. The service was very good and when I needed assisstance they were very friendly and helpful. Keep up the good work.

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

young101, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest, Your compliments and feedback are greatly appreciated. We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to welcome you again soon. Warmest regards.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I needed a hotel to stay in overnight near SFO after arriving from Sydney as we had an early morning connecting flight to Cancun. We decided on the La Quinta based on good reviews in this forum, proximity to SFO and free in-room WiFi. In addition, a hotel shuttle provides regular service to and from SFO with a short 10 min trip. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the hotel pleasant enough. The room (Rm 123) we had located on the ground floor was basic, but clean and provided coffee and tea making amenities, a bar fridge and an older style analogue TV. Unfortunately, there was quite a bit of noise throughout the night due to some sort of compressor located near by (perhaps the ice-machine as we could hear people collecting ice into buckets) that switched on and off regularly. Also, there was a path immediately outside the room which was rather noisy with arriving and departing guests into the wee hours of the morning. Therefore, we would not recommend the ground floor rooms at this hotel. Otherwise, the price was good and for our purposes La Quinta did the job.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
young101, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate your business and thank your for staying with us. Warmest regards.
Texas
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I am an "Elite Rewards" member and, after checking in, asked to cash an American Express Travelers Check ($50). I was told they would not cash the check - despite member status, proper ID and paying the invoice by credit card. Their idea of customer service: they suggested I walk to Safeway to see if they would cash it. No offer to call Safeway (or anywhere else for that matter). I was the only one in the lobby - it wasn't like they had another person to wait on.

I wrote an e-mail to complain to management, and the General Manager answered 5 days later, saying it was his policy and they don't take checks. He tried to explain that they only take credit cards - so would not have taken American Express Travelers checks for the hotel bill either. This is supposed to be for "security purposes" but that is just an excuse for not wanting to accommodate customer service first. This policy is that of this location only, not all LaQuinta locations.

The elevator from the parking garage failed when we were leaving. Otherwise, this place is okay in a jam or to save money - as long as customer service isn't something you're going to need.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
young101, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest, I am very sorry for your experience about our staff not being able to help with money exchange. Sometime it’s not the status of a person that matters. If we could help we would help regardless. However, as I mentioned in my response to your email, as a matter of safety we do not keep much cash at the premises. Your point is well taken, but sometimes businesses have limitations and guidelines to adhere to. Thank you for sharing your point of view.
Minneapolis
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This hotel is recently renovated, with an impressive lobby. Front desk staff was amazingly helpful. Room was huge, had a kitchen which I didn't expect. There's a convenience store right next door which was great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for providing a detailed account of your stay. Our entire team is humbled by your experience and glad that your stay was comfortable and you were well rested. Thank you very much indeed for your kind words about our hotel. Please visit us soon your home away from home. Warmest regards.
calif
Reviewed April 5, 2013

There are 2 LQ by SFO airport , sometimes people go to the wrong one. This is in Millbrae.
Stayed in rooms 209/210 Easter Sunday ,4/1/13. Hotel was basically deserted.
This place has 3 stories w open hallways w a big open courtyard.
If you look at the hotel pictures, there is a big disparity in the room layouts and amenities.
Hotel was safe, clean, nicely decorated/landscaped , well maintained, w a friendly staff. Looks like it is ADA compliant, and they allow pets.
The rooms in the front are facing a busy road, noise could be a factor. Ours looked out at the pool area of an apt. complex, no major issues w noise other than the loud plumbing. We carry a portable noise cancellation device which negates any noise problem
Room had a big , clean, and comfy bed, wide screen tv w a limited number of channels, phone had voice mail and there is no charge for 800 or local calls. You get a clock radio, iron/board, hairdryer, fridge/micro wave (no cooking tools) and coffee maker. There is a desk and there is free wi fi acceess. There is a safe in the lobby.
Bathroom and vanity area were not separate. Tub/shower combo had jacuzzi jets. Room had some bizzare aspects like a phone in the bathroom and large window next to the tub that looked out into the room. There were blinds for privacy, they are operated from outside the room????!!! They had tolietries, if you need incidentals , the front desk can provide them.
Lobby had a shared computer for no charge and they will fax and make copies for a charge . There is a meeting room.
USA Today and local paper free on weekdays.
There are coupons/ maps of local attarctions in the lobby.
They have self service laundry.
They sell snacks for a good price and there are vending machines. Room service is an outside vendor w a $15 minimum , it was pricey and there are other charges. It is not 24/7.
Hotel has a Japanese restaraunt (closed on Sun) Breakfast is included w your room , it is self service w typical cold breakfast food plus make your own waffles, scrambled eggs, and sausage. It was well stocked
Lots of eating places and stores in the area ( lots of Asian places)
Gym had cardio machines, weights were limited . There is a 24 Hr Fitness and a hiking trail about a mile away, go left when you leave hotel.
There is a sauna and an a outdoor pool, it was clean, but not heated that day.No jacuzzi.
No charge to park in the well-lighted underground garage .
You are about a mile away from the 101 fwy.
They are not in SFO, but u can get all over the Bay Area by driving or public transport.W decent traffic u can drive to SF in 30 minutes. Driving /parking in the city is an adventure.
They have a shuttle to SFO airport, I think they will also take you to to the Cal Train/ Bart (subway) a mile away.
If you take the BART to airport from Milbrae BART, it takes 8 minutes and it is about 30 mins to downtown SFO ($4 each way) Once in the City, u can walk to many of the attractions or connect w their geat bus/cable car system.
Cal Train runs from SFO to San Jose, where you can hook up to Amtrak in SJ. Amtrak does not run trains (only buses) into SFO .
Greyhound and Mega Bus are in downtown by Cal Train .U can get to the station via train/bus.
Buses stop in front of hotel, they go SFO and some BART stops.
Locally we went to the SF Bulls hockey game in the venerable Cow Palace in Daly City. It was affordable. Season goes from Oct to April.
Locally lots of eating/ shopping close by, make a left whe u leave hotel..
Join the points club ( no charge) and u can get free stays like we did.
U get points using the LQ credit cardWATCH OUT, THEY TRIED TO SNEAK CREDIT INSURANCE CHARGES ON MY BILL THAT I DID NOT BUY
If u want to stay in a hotel right in the heart of SFO, you will pay a lot (especially for parking) but it will not have to commute.
Stay here if you do not mind the commute or want to be by the airport . W the microwave or fridge, u do not have to eat out all the time and you will save some $$$$.
No major flaws here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
young101, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your valuable feedback. We greatly appreciate your business and glad that you choose to stay with us. Please visit and stay with us again soon. Warmest regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Millwood Inn & Suites
Millwood Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Millbrae
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Aloft San Francisco Airport
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Days Inn San Francisco International Airport West

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West? Share your experiences!