“SFO hotel does the job”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
Sydney, Australia
“SFO hotel does the job”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I needed a hotel to stay in overnight near SFO after arriving from Sydney as we had an early morning connecting flight to Cancun. We decided on the La Quinta based on good reviews in this forum, proximity to SFO and free in-room WiFi. In addition, a hotel shuttle provides regular service to and from SFO with a short 10 min trip. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the hotel pleasant enough. The room (Rm 123) we had located on the ground floor was basic, but clean and provided coffee and tea making amenities, a bar fridge and an older style analogue TV. Unfortunately, there was quite a bit of noise throughout the night due to some sort of compressor located near by (perhaps the ice-machine as we could hear people collecting ice into buckets) that switched on and off regularly. Also, there was a path immediately outside the room which was rather noisy with arriving and departing guests into the wee hours of the morning. Therefore, we would not recommend the ground floor rooms at this hotel. Otherwise, the price was good and for our purposes La Quinta did the job.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
young101, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We appreciate your business and thank your for staying with us. Warmest regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Arabic first
Texas
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I am an "Elite Rewards" member and, after checking in, asked to cash an American Express Travelers Check ($50). I was told they would not cash the check - despite member status, proper ID and paying the invoice by credit card. Their idea of customer service: they suggested I walk to Safeway to see if they would cash it. No offer to call Safeway (or anywhere else for that matter). I was the only one in the lobby - it wasn't like they had another person to wait on.

I wrote an e-mail to complain to management, and the General Manager answered 5 days later, saying it was his policy and they don't take checks. He tried to explain that they only take credit cards - so would not have taken American Express Travelers checks for the hotel bill either. This is supposed to be for "security purposes" but that is just an excuse for not wanting to accommodate customer service first. This policy is that of this location only, not all LaQuinta locations.

The elevator from the parking garage failed when we were leaving. Otherwise, this place is okay in a jam or to save money - as long as customer service isn't something you're going to need.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
young101, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest, I am very sorry for your experience about our staff not being able to help with money exchange. Sometime it’s not the status of a person that matters. If we could help we would help regardless. However, as I mentioned in my response to your email, as a matter of safety we do not keep much cash at the premises. Your point is well taken, but sometimes businesses have limitations and guidelines to adhere to. Thank you for sharing your point of view.
Minneapolis
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This hotel is recently renovated, with an impressive lobby. Front desk staff was amazingly helpful. Room was huge, had a kitchen which I didn't expect. There's a convenience store right next door which was great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Dear Guest, Thank you very much for providing a detailed account of your stay. Our entire team is humbled by your experience and glad that your stay was comfortable and you were well rested. Thank you very much indeed for your kind words about our hotel. Please visit us soon your home away from home. Warmest regards.
calif
Reviewed April 5, 2013

There are 2 LQ by SFO airport , sometimes people go to the wrong one. This is in Millbrae.
Stayed in rooms 209/210 Easter Sunday ,4/1/13. Hotel was basically deserted.
This place has 3 stories w open hallways w a big open courtyard.
If you look at the hotel pictures, there is a big disparity in the room layouts and amenities.
Hotel was safe, clean, nicely decorated/landscaped , well maintained, w a friendly staff. Looks like it is ADA compliant, and they allow pets.
The rooms in the front are facing a busy road, noise could be a factor. Ours looked out at the pool area of an apt. complex, no major issues w noise other than the loud plumbing. We carry a portable noise cancellation device which negates any noise problem
Room had a big , clean, and comfy bed, wide screen tv w a limited number of channels, phone had voice mail and there is no charge for 800 or local calls. You get a clock radio, iron/board, hairdryer, fridge/micro wave (no cooking tools) and coffee maker. There is a desk and there is free wi fi acceess. There is a safe in the lobby.
Bathroom and vanity area were not separate. Tub/shower combo had jacuzzi jets. Room had some bizzare aspects like a phone in the bathroom and large window next to the tub that looked out into the room. There were blinds for privacy, they are operated from outside the room????!!! They had tolietries, if you need incidentals , the front desk can provide them.
Lobby had a shared computer for no charge and they will fax and make copies for a charge . There is a meeting room.
USA Today and local paper free on weekdays.
There are coupons/ maps of local attarctions in the lobby.
They have self service laundry.
They sell snacks for a good price and there are vending machines. Room service is an outside vendor w a $15 minimum , it was pricey and there are other charges. It is not 24/7.
Hotel has a Japanese restaraunt (closed on Sun) Breakfast is included w your room , it is self service w typical cold breakfast food plus make your own waffles, scrambled eggs, and sausage. It was well stocked
Lots of eating places and stores in the area ( lots of Asian places)
Gym had cardio machines, weights were limited . There is a 24 Hr Fitness and a hiking trail about a mile away, go left when you leave hotel.
There is a sauna and an a outdoor pool, it was clean, but not heated that day.No jacuzzi.
No charge to park in the well-lighted underground garage .
You are about a mile away from the 101 fwy.
They are not in SFO, but u can get all over the Bay Area by driving or public transport.W decent traffic u can drive to SF in 30 minutes. Driving /parking in the city is an adventure.
They have a shuttle to SFO airport, I think they will also take you to to the Cal Train/ Bart (subway) a mile away.
If you take the BART to airport from Milbrae BART, it takes 8 minutes and it is about 30 mins to downtown SFO ($4 each way) Once in the City, u can walk to many of the attractions or connect w their geat bus/cable car system.
Cal Train runs from SFO to San Jose, where you can hook up to Amtrak in SJ. Amtrak does not run trains (only buses) into SFO .
Greyhound and Mega Bus are in downtown by Cal Train .U can get to the station via train/bus.
Buses stop in front of hotel, they go SFO and some BART stops.
Locally we went to the SF Bulls hockey game in the venerable Cow Palace in Daly City. It was affordable. Season goes from Oct to April.
Locally lots of eating/ shopping close by, make a left whe u leave hotel..
Join the points club ( no charge) and u can get free stays like we did.
U get points using the LQ credit cardWATCH OUT, THEY TRIED TO SNEAK CREDIT INSURANCE CHARGES ON MY BILL THAT I DID NOT BUY
If u want to stay in a hotel right in the heart of SFO, you will pay a lot (especially for parking) but it will not have to commute.
Stay here if you do not mind the commute or want to be by the airport . W the microwave or fridge, u do not have to eat out all the time and you will save some $$$$.
No major flaws here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
young101, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your valuable feedback. We greatly appreciate your business and glad that you choose to stay with us. Please visit and stay with us again soon. Warmest regards.
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We found the LaQuinta on line after 2 nights of being ripped off 8-10 miles north or the Golden Gate bridge to the tune of $150 & $159 for motels comparable to this one. Our rate here was $99 which we thought was pretty reasonable. The room was very large & the bed was quite comfortable with a nice comforter. Our room was a handicapped room because that was apparently all they had left. The bath was very spacious but only had a shower with no bathtub. The shower got water all over the floor & they must know this as 3 bathmats were provided. This could be dangerous for slipping not just for a handicapped person but also for nonhandicapped people as well. We didn't plan to cook but I opened a couple of drawers & noticed there were no utensils like another reviewer mentioned. Breakfast was pretty good and included scrambled eggs, sausages, cereal, yogurt, make your own waffle, bread & bagels (I would have liked to have some English muffins to toast), and some fruit--I think apples and oranges. The location was convenient to the airport & the city--the drive wouldn't be bad to go sightseeing in the city & avoid high cost hotels there. There was a computer for guests in the lobby and also I noticed a laundry room for guests to use (plus ironing board & iron in the room). The parking was free & located in a garage downstairs. For us (basically a hotel/motel room is simply a place to sleep as we are up & out early and sightseeing till around bedtime, this hotel fit the bill.

Room Tip: We were at the back and did not notice any noise, but we would not want to stay in the handicapped r...
2 Thank Alphaj
Dear Guest, We are so glad that you found us and your stay was enjoyable! We are very central to most of the stuff in and around San Francisco and budget friendly. Your business is greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcome you again soon. Warmest regards.
Napa, California
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I debated between booking this hotel and another, cheaper option. They both had similar amenities (airport shuttle, breakfast, free WIFI). I’m very happy I paid a little more for this clean, friendly hotel. I saved about 20% using Priceline’s “Express Deals” option. The room we were assigned was on the third floor, with a balcony facing the street, and was far from ordinary in a good way. For some reason our room and its neighbor are up 4 steps from the hallway, probably because they span the taller lobby. When we entered, my wife and I said “ooh!” The surprises include a spacious layout, balcony, comfortable king bed, flatscreen TV, gas fireplace (which we couldn’t get to work), and a complete kitchen with full-size stove, full-size refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, and coffeemaker. The balcony was lacking any kind of seating, but even so it was a pleasant morning coffee-drinking retreat. The most outdated-looking part of the room was the tub and its surround, but it was very clean and functioned very well. Water pressure was good, but not outstanding, and water temperature fluctuated a bit, but hardly enough to mention. The tub did have the bent-out shower curtain rod that we love. Over the bathroom sink area is a trap door providing (I assume) attic access. I know how dirty my home’s attic space can be, so I did not dare investigate. Soap and shampoo were citrusy, and after a while I figured out that the scent reminded me of a creamsickle (orange and vanilla). The towels get an A for fluffy thirstiness.
All rooms are entered from the courtyard, so the hallways are outdoors, but covered. Hallways looked recently painted in cheerful yellow tones. The courtyard contains the pool and fitness center. There is no whirlpool spa, but I did find a sauna, which I did not have time to try, so I don’t know how well it works.
Plan on the airport shuttle taking a half an hour or more (so says the front desk staff). I’m guessing that it stops at a number of hotels. Only my wife was flying, so I opted to drive her over to SFO myself. Free parking for the hotel is directly underneath the hotel, and seemed quite safe and protected. But I wondered what kind of engineering enabled them to place a swimming pool over a parking lot? Wow.
Breakfast, which begins at 6:00 am, included waffles, scrambled eggs, sausages, toast, sweet rolls, bagels, cold cereal, instant oatmeal, yogurt, juices, coffee and tea. I was thankful for the fuel (especially the protein) to get us going in the early morning—not gourmet, but solid. I would have liked to see coffee and tea available in the lobby 24/7, but coffee makings were available in the room. Front desk staff were consistently cheerful and helpful. I’m adding La Quinta to my list of good airport hotels for SFO.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel, over the lobby area, have a street-facing balcony.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Your business is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback we look forward to your next visit again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Millwood Inn & Suites
Millwood Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Millbrae
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Days Inn San Francisco International Airport West
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Super 8 San Bruno /SF Intl Arpt West

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West? Share your experiences!