La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Satisfied”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

La Quinta was all that we needed: Two clean rooms with two queen beds each, a good breakfast, and nice people. It also had a little exercise area and a pool. The pool was unheated but I went swimming anyway and after the first few minutes, I was very comfortable. The parking and elevator were very convenient. We needed a shuttle because we had an early flight and had to return our rental car the night before. No problems there. We also like the fact that we could visit the city and also visit relatives in Redwood City and Walnut Grove easily from the Millbrae location. We visited the Walmart nearby three times for things we forgot.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
young101, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Guest, Let me say thank you very much from our entire team at La Quinta Inn West for providing us your feedback. We are very grateful that you choose to stay with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcome you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Arabic first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I checked in to this hotel and was not expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised.

My first impression was that it was more like a motel than a hotel, especially with the rooms all facing the outdoor "hallway" around the perimeter, but then when I saw that the rooms had electrical keycard locks, sturdy doors, and the inner courtyard was so nicely kept, I warmed up to it. When I entered the room, I remember thinking, "wow, this is much better than I expected!"

The location in a fairly commercial neighborhood on a main street. Off that main street, you pull up to the pull-through driveway, which is big enough for two cars or a bus, and walk into the lobby.
The desk clerks I spoke to on a Wednesday at 8 PM were very friendly to me and were able to point me in the direction of places I needed to go.
The hotel has a desert or tropical-like decor (yellows, terra cotta, tan, etc).

The bathroom was nice, with the sink separated from the shower/bathtub/toilet. The soap/shampoo was good quality. There were 4 sets of clean and soft white towels, which I always appreciate.

The bed was comfortable - I think it had a pillow top mattress. Pillows were also nice and soft.
I slept really well and had no issues with noise through the walls or through the outside-facing door.

My room had a full kitchen:
-dishwasher
-microwave (broken)
-coffee maker (broken)
-full stainless steel sink
-full size refrigerator
-cabinets with 4 settings of plates/mugs/bowls/silverware, etc.

The kitchen would have been much more impressive if the coffee maker and microwave worked. There was enough coffee for 4 people. The kitchen had tile floors and a dome-like window over the kitchen sink.

The gym and the sauna were great.

The gym is about a 15x40 ft. glass enclosure in the middle of the giant courtyard, with the four outer banks of hotel rooms surrounding it. It could comfortably serve 4-6 patrons at a time. The gym is air conditioned and has a drinking fountain. It is accessed with a card key only. There was an elliptical machine, an exercise bike, a treadmill, a leg lift machine, a lat pull machine, and some dumbbells. I used the gym at 8:30 at night and there was no one in there.

I also used the sauna while I was there. It either had electrical problems, or it is set up to only work 15 minutes at a time. The timer has a setting for up to 60 minutes, but it only worked 15 minutes at a time for me. Otherwise, it served its purpose, it just seemed like the dials and the heater were probably from the 1970s. To me, a sauna is a sauna - I just enjoy them!

The airport shuttle was not advertised in the in-room guide, but you should know that it exists and it operates from 4am to 12am daily. I asked about it when I checked in and they confirmed. After I got to my room, I wondered to myself if I needed to make a reservation for the shuttle. I called to the front desk and asked for a 4:30 AM pickup, and the clerk told me I needed to be down there AT 4:30 ON THE DOT as the shuttle would be there and it would leave without me.
Fast forward to the morning when I used the shuttle. I showed up at 4:25 AM, notify the new clerk (an older man) that I am ready, and he said absolutely nothing to me, just nodded and pointed for me to sit on the sofa in the lobby. As I sat there and 4:38 AM rolled around, I wondered if I needed to be outside, if I had missed the shuttle, or what was going on. Then, at 4:40 AM, the shuttle showed up. It had about 12 people already on it when I boarded. This is a shuttle that the nearby hotels share, so if you are going to use it, I would recommend giving yourself 30 extra minutes as you may be one of several passengers on several stops.
I got to the airport at about 5:05 with just enough time to get through security at SFO airport to get to my gate.

Overall, I felt that the security of the hotel, the decor, the gym and the sauna, and the full-blown kitchen were key "wow" factors.
I was not impressed by how the airport shuttle was handled, but it was functional and got me what I needed.

I would stay here again if I needed a solid and more affordable place to stay near the airport.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest, Our entire team is delighted to read your feedback and very heartwarming to hear when guests take time to provide us their valuable insights. You are a seasoned traveler and to exceed your expectations is what motivates us. Thanks so very much indeed, and we look forward to welcome you soon. Warmest regards.
wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

After staying at very many hotels and chains, and in San Francisco several times this year, I was very pleased with the price and the room we were given at this hotel. It was excellent on all levels. I would definitely stay here gain.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank Dubaychris
young101, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear Guest, It is always very motivating and encouraging for receiving feedback so we can continue to focus on meeting guest expectations. We are much honored to receive your compliments. The Jacuzzi suites are very pleasant and very popular with our guest to relax after a long day. Thank you for staying with us and we all look forward to your next visit. Warmest regards.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I would recommend and return to this hotel, staff was pleasant, rooms were clean plus free parking and breakfast, just can't go wrong here. My stay was just an overnighter but with the pool and fitness center I could be comfortable here for a couple of days.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

young101, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. It was a great pleasure to have you as our guest. Please come and stay with us on your next visit. Look forward to see you soon. Warm regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
BEST WESTERN PLUS El Rancho Inn
Millwood Inn & Suites
Millwood Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Millbrae
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Days Inn San Francisco International Airport West
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Super 8 San Bruno /SF Intl Arpt West

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West? Share your experiences!