“Authentic Chinese close to SFO” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hong Kong Flower Lounge
Ranked #5 of 96 Restaurants in Millbrae
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chicago, Illinois
“Authentic Chinese close to SFO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have been to HKFL a few times in the past, but since I live in Chicago I now only get there when visiting family in Redwood City/San Mateo.

Just to debate some of the previous reviews...

This is one of the best Chinese restaurants on the peninsula, with very authentic dim sum and entree dishes. They have extremely fresh seafood, which is showcased in the lobby with a very large wall of aquariums full of shrimp, crabs, lobsters, geoduck clams, and other fish...all awaiting their final destiny (not PETA friendly, to be sure!).

My wife and I went in for Friday dim-sum, they open at 11am and we arrived at 11:10 to about 25% full room. By 12:30 it was full, and we were still the only non-Asian table in the restaurant. That is a sure sign that you are in an authentic restaurant, no?

The staff come around with dim sum carts offering steamed dumplings, fried buns, vegetables and other goodies. Although neither of us can speak Chinese, we were able to get dishes we love. For those reviewers who say the service is rude, the staff is just terse since it's the custom to say yes or no and take a dish...as long as you're polite, they will be polite back to you. They aren't there to charm you, they're there to FEED you! As for reservations, they do accomodate the best they can, and my advice is to just show up a bit early.

Maybe next time we're there, we'll try some of the daily specials...they had a prix-fixe lunch special of lobster dishes that looked amazing at the table next to us.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Redwood City, California
“Don't Waste Your Time and Money!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

We went to the HKFL for dim sum at the request of good friends visiting from Guangzhou, China.The sim sum was tasteless , the service was rude, the tea cups were covered with lipstick from previous diners.
And even though we had a reservation, they stuck us in a corner at a tiny table (there were 5 of us.) It was also so loud we could not carry on a conversation. I will not go back!!

• Visited July 2012
Saratoga, California
“So-called reservations only get you on queue when you show up...be prepared to wait”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

In our most recent visit, which will be our last ever, we learned that the restaurant policy -- about which both customers and the maitre Ds have complained -- is that even if you call ahead to reserve, when you show up you will simply be put into the queue with everyone else there who has not had a reservation. This is particularly problematic when it is weekend dim sum brunch time. The service at the tables as well is brusque and inattentive, with us waiting on a few occasions for basics like menu, getting the order taken, getting water, getting tea, getting the check.

There are plenty of better choices than this place, both in service and in food..try ABC Seafood in Foster City and of course Yank Sing in the city or Jade Palace in Cupertino for dim sum options.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Moss Beach, California
“Good Fancy Chinese Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

It has been awhile since we ate here. I loved the Honey walnut prawns. It was a special occasion, so worth the splurge!e

1 Thank Cid Y
Denver CO USA
“An Authentic Taste of China in Millbrae”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

I've been to the Hong Kong Flower Lounge many times over the past 10 years. They are a staple in my restaurant knowledge of the Bay area from all my travels to San Fran when I have Corporate meetings, etc. Whether by myself, or with colleagues, I love to go to this restaurant for what feels like an authentic experience to me. Anytime the menu is first in Chinese, followed by an English translation, you know its going to be good.

We ordered four great dishes: shrimp fried rice, beef short ribs, walnut prawns, and chicken with black bean sauce. They were all delicious. In fact, the chicken with black bean sauce is now my favorite dish there, and the shrimp fried rice was so fresh I could have eaten the entire plate on my own. Maybe next time I will go by myself and do just that.

The service here is excellent. The food hot and fresh. I doubt you could go wrong with any item on the menu. When you walk in the door they have fish tanks filled with tilapia, alaskan king crabs, dungeness crabs, lobster, and other seafood for your fresh seafood experience. I highly recommend this place to those who want seafood or those who want chinese food.

• Visited March 2012