“Not Impressed”

Ranked #11 of 96 Restaurants in Millbrae
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We were in Millbrae for one night before a flight out the next morning. Our hotel recommended this restaurant as it was within walking distance, so we decided to try it out. The restaurant area didn't look busy at all, but because we didn't have reservations, we were seated in the very noisy bar area. Lots of locals having fun at the bar, no problem-but we couldn't even carry on a conversation for the noise level. Husband had pork chops which were pretty good, I had beef stroganoff that was nothing special, both had spinach salads that would have been good if there had been enough dressing on them. Prices were high for quality of food, surroundings, & slow service. Would not waste our money here if in the area again.

There are newer reviews for Sixteen Mile House

Reviewed March 6, 2013

This place is small and crowded. Prices are average to above-average.

No tap beer. Strike one! Bad rail-vodka. Strike two! A steak place with no blue-cheese stuffed olives (blue cheese and steaks go hand in hand). Strike three! ...the strikes kept coming in subsequent innings.

Food quality is below par. Sixteen Mile claims to be experts at "surf and turf". But, my friends and I experienced a mixed review. I can tell you, for a place that claims their surf and turf is good, then it better be good (or just don't claim it). It better be a cut (literally and otherwise) above the rest. This place was not. Strike 4.

Salmon dish was supposedly quite good (first base). However, my friend ordered the Ahi Tuna. He likes Ahi and orders it often. It came out and he was notably dissatisfied. I will take his word for it and so will you. ..Strikes 5 and 6 (batter left on base, end of inning).
Ordered their steak gumbo (was good…first base)
I ordered their most popular steak...with mixed-vegetables. Dish came out looking great (second base). Ordered steak done “medium”. Came out very medium-rare and almost rare. (Strikes 7 and 8). The “mixed” vegetables were almost entirely zucchini. Gross, lame, and did not taste good. (Strike 9, end of 3rd inning).

Service was friendly (first base) but food was slow to arrive (Strike 10). Other, larger table was complaining about the slowness of the service/food (Strike 11). Paying bill too forever (Strike 12, end of 4th inning….game called due to 10 run rule against the home team).

1  Thank MisterFeedback
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Sixteen Mile house has been around for as long as I can remember and has always been a favorite of mine when in the Millbrae area. The bar has always been a hang out for locals but welcoming to others. Several years ago it was bought by the present owner and he closed and refurbished the bar and restaurant but still maintained the original feeling and maintained the good food and service. We usually go for the Early Bird Special which is a choice of Prime Rib, Fish or Chicken with potato (the baked one with sour cream, chives, bacon bits) Hot Sourdough bread and choice of vegetable. The Prime Rib was perfect and like butter and also served with au jus and horseradish. One of the waitresses Sonya has been there forever and always remembers us and is very professional as is the owner and the staff. They are also open for lunch, have live music (but if you want to eat and talk sit as far away from it as possible) and a very good menu and specials. It is a place we will continue to meet friends at when in town.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

When I walked in a bit prior to 5pm the bar had what looked like neighborhood regulars on the stools. They seemed to know each other, there were a couple of stools marked "reserved" at the bar which filled not too long after I got there.

I was told there would be a short wait until they were ready for dinner. I ordered a cocktail & got a friendly greeting at the bar when I pulled up a stool. It was a polite group, stopping for a cocktail and a World Series game on the way home. Go Giants ! While I was having my cocktail two waitresses arrived, stopping for a minute at the bar to greet the bartender and familiar customers. I was there at warm-up time to use a sport analogy.

A bit before 5pm the owner came over and told me they were ready & seated me in the restaurant portion of the place. I ordered their "Signature Prime Steak" for $22.00 which came very rare as I had ordered. Very tender & flavorful, You have the choice of two of seven sides.

I choose pasta (linguine) and sauteed spinach. I also ordered the Tableside Salad for $6.00 where they roll up a cart of 11 items and let you choose your ingredients & dressing. The salad was very generous, mixed in front of you, and served on a small platter. A custom start to the meal, just what you order.

I didn't sample the desserts, but did have a nice glass of wine off the wine list.

I was just in from a European trip via SFO, it was nice to slip into a bit of Americana on my return home. If I lived in the area I'm sure this would be on my list of regular restaurants, as is I'll have to content myself with the occasional visit when I'm in the area.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

I took a colleague here one evening and we not only had a great meal but also a great time. We arrived around six pm and the place was not crowded at all, we opted to sit at the brand have a couple of cocktails before dinner. The bartendress was so friendly we decided todine with her.
I had the calamari app and my guest had oysters on the half shell, both were very good. The oysters were especially tasty.
For dinner I had the porterhouse with a loaded baker and creamed corn. The steak was cooked perfectly and it was huge, I couldn't finish it. He had the full rack of lamb. It was INCREDIBLE. When I go back I will definitely be having that. We finished up wih a creme brûlée, spot on.
I would highly recommend this place to all.