“Great Airport Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great Airport Hotel”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Location is convenient: right off of the freeway, close to the airport & not too bad of a drive from the city. Right next to Caltrain and Bart.

The decor and layout is very modern! From the hotel lobby to the bar to the elevator with moving puddles to the showers with built in soap dispensers. Staff was really helpful and accommodating!

I was given a room on the top floor (6th) and despite some reviews complaining about the noise I think it was pretty good. I don't think I could've asked for more.
The beds were really comfy! 42" flat screen TV, free access to the fitness center, complimentary bottle of water & their free internet is great and I was able to get some work done while sitting at the bar! Overall, I was very pleased with my stay, no problems whatsoever.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard / pool as they are a bit quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank licertune
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. We're so thrilled to hear we met your expectations and that you enjoyed the full Aloft Hotels experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed here one night in November and was very happy with the experience. The location is not ideal for tourist stuff, but there's a beautiful run along the water from here that can take you for miles if you choose. The workout room is also impressive and there's a pool, but don't expect to get your laps in.

The bed was comfortable. The Bliss products include a shampoo/conditioner mix + shower gel in dispensers in the shower and a lotion + soap bar. Great products, but for us long haired gals, I'd recommend bringing a conditioner to compliment. Coffee/Tea set up in the room is decent enough and there's complimentary tea/coffee in the lobby too if you drink more than one tea bag in the morning. Breakfast selection is pricey.

Lighting throughout the property is trendy/hip/younger crowd focused. The lobby has loads of seating. Complimentary airport shuttle picks up where all the other ones do and drives to the Westin first; I just got off there and walked to the Aloft since I was the only one left on it.

Checkin took a bit longer than I hoped. The one gal at the round desk to your right as you enter (it does not look traditional, so don't look for it against a wall) was on the phone with a guest discussing something unpleasant whereby I stood there for a while until someone else entered the desk area and checked me in. It was a relatively quick check in after that; he looked up my SPG info which I hadn't used in years and found it after a couple tries.

I would stay here again; but it's SF and I love checking out hotels in the region. But if I were to stay right near the airport, I'd select this place over the Westin due to the focus on younger guests.

1 Thank GreenStarfish
Ohio
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I missed my connection in San Francisco and had to find somewhere to stay. I was pleasantly surprised at everything about this property. The room was comfortable and clean. Very modern (I described it as shades of Ikea - pleasant). Personnel pleasant (it was after midnight when I checked in), and prompt, friendly service to and from the airport. I was able to check on my flight and print my new boarding pass. What more could I have asked for??? Good experience!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CruiseHappyNOhio
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're happy to hear your first experience at a Aloft Hotel was a great one! We are glad we met your expectations and hope to see you again the next time your are flying in or out of SFO. Cheers!
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have been traveling to San Francisco on business for many years and usually stay at the Westin right next door. This time around I wanted to accumulate Starwood points but give Aloft a try after hearing much buzz about it. Upon entering the lobby, I noticed they had very limited personnel and facilities and upon spending a night I felt I was in an upgraded "dorm." No room service, intermittent front desk coverage, and spartan and impersonal rooms contributed to my less than ideal experience. If you want a hotel with limited services but clean and predictable accommodations, this could be your place. From my perspective, I will never stay there again and will enjoy the significantly better experience of the neighboring Westin.

1 Thank Misterpepito
Granada Hills, CA
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This hotel may look nice but there is a very important reason why you should seriously consider NOT staying here.

I stayed at the Aloft for a single night because I was attending meetings at the adjacent Westin, which has common ownership with the Aloft. Around 6:15 am on Sunday I went down to grab an early breakfast but it didn't start until 7:00. I went back up to my room but the door key wouldn't work. They have fancy electronic locks where you just wave the card in front of the lock to open the door. I got another key from the front desk but it didn't work either, nor did the security officer's key. They told me that the lock's battery was dead and that they could not open the door until the maintenance man came in at 8:00. Meanwhile, all my stuff was in there including my laptop which I was using at the time. They offered me another room, though that wasn't of much use if I couldn't get to my stuff, and called the maintenance man to ask him to come in a little early. I told them I had an 8:00 meeting at the Westin and would at least not have to wear the clothes I slept in for that meeting.

So at 7:00 I ordered breakfast. It's a weird setup where you tell the front desk staff what you want, they enter it in the computer, and then one of them goes back and makes it. As it turns out the oven was broken and they told me it would take an extra 20 minutes because they had to use the bar kitchen. They offered me a $20 credit on my bill, which I mulled over, but by 7:55 rolled around they still couldn't let me in my room. I told the woman at the front desk that, considering the circumstances, I thought that they should comp the room. She said she would ask the manager.

I went to the meeting at the Westin and apologized for my appearance while warning people about staying at the Aloft. During the meeting I got an email from the manager, Allen, who offered not to comp the room but to give me 10,000 Starwood points. He also extended my checkout to 4:00, which I did appreciate. That afternoon I emailed him back saying that the points were of little use to me and that I did want the room comped.

I should point out that the staff at the front desk was as helpful as they could be, even though Manager Allen did refer to them anachronistically and slightly misogynistically as "the girls." You may be running a hip hotel but this isn't "Mad Men" and in the 21st century we refer to professional females as "women."

For me, being locked out of my room until after my meeting was an inconvenience and a professional embarrassment. But what if I had an early flight? Or if I had vital medication in the room? The Aloft has no way to change a battery during off hours. Let me repeat that--if the battery dies in the middle of the night there is no way for them to let them back into your room. No one is trained to replace them. One of the front desk staff said that batteries had gone out before, but this was the first time this had happened when the maintenance man wasn't around. That right there should have been a message to the management that it could also happen the other 128 hours of the week.

The Aloft should train one of their staff or one of the Westin staff on how to change the battery. Until they do this I highly recommend that you do not stay at the Aloft SFO.

6 Thank runchadrun
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
I’m glad we were able to connect and resolve this to your satisfaction. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience we caused you. As you know, I have shared this issue with my team and as a result everyone is on the same page on how to resolve this efficiently if it should happen in the future. We can manually enter all rooms despite the battery dying. If you have further questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly. Chris, General Manager, coffutt@aloftsfoairport.com.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel near SFO airport. Beautiful and efficient at the same time with outanding features and great customer service. If you are in the bay area for a game or just a quick visit, this is the place to stay. Close to the airport and major freeways, this hotel is unique and it gives you all the amenities that the more expensive hotels provide at a very good rate.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Telluride, Colorado
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Beware of parking fees! If you book through third party they charge $20 a night! Super close to airport and pet friendly which is good. Decor is cheap looking office style. If you like absolutely no soul, this is for you. Rooms are roomy though sparsely decorated. Front desk folks cheery and helpful, apologizing for parking fees and explaining directions to hidden features such as the fitness facility and the laundry room. Fitness facility is basic. Laundry available if you search for iron 6th floor. Basic needs are covered at this simple business stop over.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Bootdoc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Hampton Inn & Suites San Francisco-Burlingame-Airport South
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame

Been to Aloft San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!