“No frills”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
Mission Viejo, California
“No frills”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

No frills hotel. Very loud and noisy in the lobby. Staff was helpful and went out of their way to help with problems. Good value near airport. Great free shuttle. Area to get drinks but a little costly. Bought chicken tenders from the bar, just so-so and said it came with cole slaw which I didn't get.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thanks for sharing your review of your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that our associates were helpful. In our lounge we encourage our guests to mix and mingle and listen to music. We apologize if this was not a good experience for you. Our backyard is another lounging option that is much quieter – fully equipped with heaters if it’s evening. We hope you’ll give us another try in the future. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 23, 2013

It has been said that this place is oriented toward a younger crowd, and that's true. Despite being older, we loved it. The music (there was live music on a Friday night) was pretty good, and the sound confined to the lobby (the hotel hallways have doors that completely block the sound from the lobby).

Some have complained about the lack of food - but there are dozens of delivery places that will bring almost anything you want to your hotel door, and for way less than room service at a regular hotel (just google "food delivery Millbrae" and if you have a smartphone, download a food delivery app or just sign up for food delivery). We had excellent sushi one night, and Italian another.

Energetic youngsters were taking full advantage of the gym in the early morning hours, there's a dog park area (with baggies for pick-up) and they greet your dogs with a dog bed, dog bowls, placemat and dog treats. The carpeting and tile are the kind that are hypoallergenic, meaning they act as barriers to allergens and vacuuming is similar to what would happen on a wood floor.

Linens provided are well above average for a hotel, and the bath products are of better than average quality (but not provided in the wasteful plastic containers that you can take away - this is a greenish hotel).

Rooms are spacious enough, bed was *very* comfortable from our point of view.

Now - the noise issue has been brought up. Yep, you can hear planes taking off from nearby SFO. I was there on business, so I really had no choice about staying close to the conference hotel (which was next door). But, we simply wore ear plugs at night and had the TV on during the day or listened to music, and it was fine. The planes were not nearly as numerous during the wee hours.

Humans were more noisy than the planes, btw, as they always are, but this hotel was quieter than many. The fact that some tipsy patrons stumbled down the hall two times made us feel better about the fact that our dogs responded by barking a few times (but when standing outside the room, I couldn't hear our dogs - which was great). The dogs, of course, were never left unattended, but the staff greeted them so cheerfully and graciously (and they were welcome in the lobby, where there were snacks to buy and a cocktail lounge).

The snacks provided at cocktail hour looked good (we didn't try them). For purchase, as well, were various yogurts, cereals, microwaveable meals, and sandwiches. There is a toaster and a microwave in the lobby for all to use (and napkins, silverware, etc - we had packed some of our own food). Room had a small refrigerator, so we were all set for sandwiches, salads, etc., that we brought from home.

The bay is about a block away, and while not terribly scenic, it's still nice to have a green space (and the area does not have the kind of enormously impacted traffic/car scene that San Francisco and some of its neighboring communities have). For those travelling with pets, this is a great place. There's a free shuttle into SF itself, although I do not know if pets are allowed on it. We had planned to eat at one of SF's 500 or so dog friendly restaurants, but in the end opted for local delivery and were not sorry at all.

Front desk staff was adequate, hardly any wait for any question or service. Room was not tremendously expensive.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are best for pets - if you want it to be more quiet, ask for a room on the south s...
Orange County
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The hotel was so new, the GPS didn't have it to find. I was very tired, hungry, and it was pouring rain when I arrived. The staff was great, and the accommodations was terrific. Even at the late hour I went to get food, and they had small plates that hit the spot. It was a very hip place to stay, would go back if I have the chance.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 19, 2013

It's noisy from happy guests in the lobby bar, and the food is nothing special, but otherwise this hotel is very good. It's only ten minutes from the airport. The rooms are really spacious, but mostly the re-design is done in a very smart way. The bathroom has a nice "anti chambre" that combines a closet and a large table with wash basin, semi-separated from the bedroom that has a spacious entrance and enough room for two windows, a desk and a large bed.

The interior details throughout the hotel are hip and colorful but are cheaply executed, however I think no one notices this except when you're an architecture pro. Don't worry about it and just enjoy the contemporary, informal and metropolitan atmosphere of this hotel. Much more affordable than the Westin right next door, and more fun!

Room Tip: There's a pool table in the lobby. Not my thing, really, but other guests had plenty of fun with...
Long Beach, California
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel is brand new, with comfortable rooms; and a swimming pool. The Front Desk staff
try really hard to make everyone happy. There are quick snacks and sandwich for purchase, if needed.

A great place to stay for 1,2,3 nights.

Room Tip: Sign up for the new Aloft smart card, which allows you to avoid Front Desk at all Aloft Hotels. The...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay while you were in town. Hope to see you again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 19, 2013

First off, let me say that I really like this hotel for when I have to travel to SFO for work. I've stayed at this hotel three times in the last 2 months. The last two times, they've had a small concert in the lobby, which I thought was cool and different. The bar is convenient and the pool table is a fun extra.

The rooms are decent sized, but certainly geared towards business travellers. You probably wouldn't want to stay here with someone you aren't really comfortable with as the bathroom doors don't really close all the way. The beds are comfortable and it has all the things a business traveller needs (internet, TV, outlets, good water pressure in the shower, comfortable bed, decent gym, etc). While there is no room service, there is an area in the lobby where you can get snacks and small food items and breakfast in the mornings. It's enough for me as I'm usually going out to eat when I'm in town. If that's not enough, there's an In-n-Out about a mile or less down the road :-)

After saying here the first time, the gentleman at the front desk, I believe his name is Guillermo, remembers me and speaks to me every morning. He really is the nicest guy and makes my mornings! As a business traveller, if a hotel remembers me, I appreciate that and it makes me want to stay there again. It's the little things, at least for me.

Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I recently stayed here for a night and was surprised with it's hip style and attitude. The room was welcoming and inviting with a very comfortable bed. The shower head was a little low for me, but the shower head itself was a rain shower head. The tv had a ton of channels to watch almost anything you could want. This hotel is across the street from the airport, thus has some airplane noise, but not too bad. The night I was there, the hotel, had a jazz band in the lobby playing for entertainment and good happy hour specials. The airport shuttle is free and drops on time but the pick up seems to take much longer. Over the freeway via a bridge there is a: In-N-Out burger, Chinese resturant, and taco shack for food. Their "refuel" zone was overpriced at the front desk. Free pool table in lobby for anyone to play,

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Hampton Inn & Suites San Francisco-Burlingame-Airport South
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame

Been to Aloft San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!