“Trying to hard to be cool!”

Aloft San Francisco Airport
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I spent one night at the Aloft in January 2013 before a flight. The shuttle service is great, the hotel clean, and in a good location, if you are flying in/ out of SFO. The negatives are: 1) too much room deodorizer and unable to open windows to air out the room and 2) music in the common area and bar way too loud and of a poor selection. Not sure who they think is staying at their hotel on a Tuesday night, of the six people in the bar area all were well past 40 years old and not enjoying the music.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank HAPPY1948
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

We appreciate your feedback, thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We’re thrilled that our convenient location worked out nicely for you! We’ll bring up your comments about the scented spray to housekeeping. Thanks.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed one night prior to early flight home after business trip. Check in was quick with extra staff coming to help when large group arrived. Hotel very new and clean. Room was spacious with comfortable bed. I didn't care for the body gel in the shower or the hand soap since both were oddly perfumed - the shower gel had "marine actives", and while I don't know what those are, it did smell a bit fishy. Room decor was very dark with dark gray carpeting on walls. In fact the overall look of the hotel was of an industrial warehouse. Despite the unpleasant asthetics, I would stay here again, but I'll bring my own soap :). There is no restuarant, though packaged sandwiches and snacks are available. Most other hotels near SFO are old, worn, and dirty, and Aloft was refreshing by comparison. The best perk was the hotel shuttle that starts very early by 4am or earlier and runs frequently. Aloft is the last hotel on the route and I was at the airport within 5 minutes.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Annie2795
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I arrived late from Europe and this was an ideal location close to Airport.
It is based on the W Hotels concept -modern--brash--bold---noisy.
The room was almost perfect---issues with A/C ---wonderful bathroom.
Bed was most comfortable and excellent internet.
On speaking with other guests --BREAKFAST is not good---eggs made with powder etc.
I choose not to take breakfast based on these feedbacks.
A new hotel--stains on carpets in room --not cleaned--what is the Housekeeping supervisor doing--waiting for many more stains and then the carpet will be cleaned !!!!.
This hotel is ideal just for an overnite---full of airline crews.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank IRELANDSMAN
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Let's be honest, airport hotels are not supposed to be sexy or inviting - but this one is! I've stayed at several SFO airport hotels and while Aloft properties are mininalist I really enjoyed my stay. While they may claim that Aloft is a limited service property, this one is not. The front desk agents and bartenders went above and beyond during our entire stay. Free wifi in the rooms and public spaces was great.

If you're looking for a large closet in the room or even a dresser you've come to the wrong place. But what it lacks in typical room furniture it makes up for in power outlets - plenty of them and within reach. Also, this place has amazing black-out shades - you can literally sleep thru anything. Some reviews have complained about the noise from the airport, but to be honest, we did not hear a thing the entire time we stayed on the property.

The only downside was the $20/day parking fee.

Room Tip: It's an airport hotel, your choices of view are thier parking lot or someone else's parking...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here over the weekend and we really enjoyed this place. I work in San Francisco so when we have a "date weekend" we like to get away from the city and relax. The aloft SFO is very well decorated and the staff is super friendly. One night we came back to the hotel at about 1150 and the bar was closing down but Abella (I hope I got her name right), who was a godsend opted to open her station back up to server us a couple of drinks for us to enjoy near the fireplace.

The rooms are very well decorated, minimal, and the walk-in shower was amazing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2013

As others have mentioned, the hotel is very trendy and geared toward young people. Although we live in San Francisco, we actually stayed at this airport hotel because we had an early flight, and we wanted to avoid driving in traffic. Our plan was to pay for a room and get a little extra sleep.

We asked for a 6:20am wake up call; however, it came at 5:20am instead. I picked up the phone but it must not have registered. A few minutes later it rang again...same thing happened. About 10 minutes later the staff person knocked on the door to wake us up. On the one hand, I have to give the hotel credit for worrying that we weren't awake, but on the other hand, there was no way at this point we were going to get any more sleep. So, we paid a lot of money for a sleep/park package without getting the benefit we planned for.

While we didn't have any trouble with the shuttle, it did pass up people who were waiting for it at the stop behind the hotel rather than the one in front, because the van was full by then.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Our apologies for waking you up early. We're looking into our wake-up calls and will get it fixed immediately - thank you so much for bringing it to our attention. Thank you for your understanding when we knocked on the door. We never want a guest to miss a flight! Safe travels.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had a great stay at the Aloft.

1. Front desk was fantastic. I had a complicated problem with my check-in (SPG booked wrong date, on points, etc.). Melody at the front desk made multiple phone calls, and talks with her supervisor, to take care of everything on my behalf. The front desk also handles getting you breakfast and things in the morning. Erin (night) and Guillermo (morning) both had genuinely friendly attitudes and hustled a lot for their customers.

2. We heard no airport or freeway noise. We were out late, so might have missed some of it. I did hear other guests in the parking lot early in the morning. Always travel with earplugs.

3. Room amenities include Bliss products (bar soap, lotion, and shower dispensers with shampoo/conditioner combo, and shower gel). The huge tv has HDMI input, and you can borrow a cable from the front desk, but I didn't try it.

4. We had 2 double beds -- NICE big room. Roomy walk-in shower. There's a big desk, too. I would have liked a comfy chair for watching tv, but it might not have fit in the room (maybe they have them in the king rooms). We were in room 419, which faces the (indoor) pool area, and a pretty yard with trees, etc. Far enough from the elevator so we had no noise from it. Also, the curtains do a great job of blocking out the light. But there aren't any lightweight curtains (so you could get light but privacy).

5. Lobby is hip, fun, inviting -- like staying at a W for a lot less money, and without the crazy crowd scene. There's a pool table and lots of comfortable cool-looking seating. Georgina (bartender) was great, and really cared about taking care of her customers.

6. Breakfast is sold by the item, which can add up. Box of cereal=$2, carton of soy milk =$2.25, etc. Still cheaper than a typical hotel sit-down breakfast. There's a Westin next door which might have a more comfortable breakfast, if you want to eat at a big table with made-to-order items.

7. Location is great -- one freeway exit from SFO, and a 10-minute walk to BART and Caltrain (public transportation). It's kind of a cruddy walk, across a freeway overpass. Another option for BART is to take the (free) airport shuttle, which runs every 15 minutes at peak times, back to the airport and catch BART there.

8. Parking is $20. Really, people, is that such a big deal? Parking at an SF hotel would be $30 or more.

9. Free wi-fi.

10. Across from the BART station there's an In 'n Out Burger, a Panera and some other fast food places.

11. SPG members: this is only a 7,000 point hotel. A great bargain. If you're not an SPG member, you should be. I earn points using my SPG Amex credit card, and rarely pay for hotels.

All in all, we had a great stay, and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your detailed comments and we're thrilled to hear you had a great experience during your recent stay. We will be passing along your kudos to each of our talent that you mentioned! Hope to see you again soon. Live Life Aloft!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Hampton Inn & Suites San Francisco-Burlingame-Airport South
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame

Been to Aloft San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!