“Very hip, very stylish brand new hotel”

Aloft San Francisco Airport
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
Redwood City, California
“Very hip, very stylish brand new hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Stayed with my gf after landing late at SFO before a weekend in napa. Really nice property with an awesome lounge/lobby, indoor swimming pool and full gym. Rooms are very nice and modern. Staff is extremely friendly. Only complaint is having to pay for parking but makes sense given the proximity to the airport (they also run a free shuttle)

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank RajShah7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tecumseh, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this brand new hotel for 2 nights - hotel had only been open for 1 week. This was my first experience staying at an Aloft hotel. First thing I noticed was the chic decor. They had live music playing in open concept lobby with attached bar - nice touch but the music was so loud I could barely converse with the lady at checking.
I had an odd numbered room (201) which overlooked the small courtyard - I found I had to keep the blinds closed as there was no privacy with people staring straight into the room. Room itself was decent although they need a portable bag stand - I had to use a padded bench to place my baton and then there was nowhere comfortable to sit.
Bathroom is good with a nice shower with slightly under pressured rain shower head.
The thing I disliked about this experience the most was the weird breakfast system. They advertise a free continental breakfast but there is hardly envy thing there. You are forced to pay for things and must place a order for things like breakfast sandwiches which were about $8.00 each for this tiny microwaved sandwich. There was a huge lineup of about 10 people waiting to order and only 1 person taking orders ona single ordering station. The ordering station is at the reception desk and he kept getting diverted to help people checking out or asking questions on reception desk.
When I finally got my order in I was told it would be about 4 minutes. 15 minutes later I had to go and ask why it was taking so long. He had to get me to repeat my order and then it finally came 10 minutes later. Not good at all.
Overall a decent hotel, good location 1 mile from airport. Not enough parking space. They really need to iron out the kinks with their staff training and put more staff on the desk at peak times.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
AloftSFO, Manager at Aloft San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear canaussie95,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. We certainly appreciate your feedback and will use your comments to improve the experiences of all of guests. give us another try when you are in the area. We'd love to have you back!
Princeville, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is the old Clarion, completely refitted. We had to have stayed within a few days of its opening.

The rooms are large and well appointed; the location is great; free shuttle is quick and convenient and the wireless free. The king size bed was just that!

On the downside, the electrical supply was a little dubious and location of the switches was odd - the raspberries in the fridge from the last guest was an added extra. and what is the shower all about - you could have a real gusher in this size of area - a real good splash at the end of the day - instead it is a gentle stream.

Otherwise we will stay again - decent value good location and a bit hip.

Room Tip: I always ask for high - here facing the mountains (and the 101 far away) are ideal.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank uniquepartofparadise
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Unexpectedly plush, chic and cool next to a very old Westin hotel for USD125 per night. Rooms are brand new with 42" plasma tv, super large shower and extra comfortable bed. Room with uneven numbers face the water, and in the evenings you can watch the planes fly into the bay. Very quiet due to double glazed windows. The reception area can be a bit busy during the busy periods which is the only downside. Lounge, swimming and gym are great to hang chill and exercise. All around great value for money and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with uneven numbers high floor to watch the planes descend down the bay in the evening...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

As an SPG Gold and some years Platinum member, I'm pleased to see a new offering near SFO. The Westin is overpriced and the Sheraton Four Points is dated and I don't care for the location.

I recommend that folks research what Aloft has to offer before booking because it's not for everyone (see other review from Alecia). Aloft is a budget hotel, not a full service hotel. Like Marriott offers full service hotels and Courtyards and Fairfield Inns -- Starwood offers St Regis, Westins, Sheratons and at the low end...Aloft. Now, as far as budget hotels go, I like what it has to offer. Clean rooms, a comfortable bed, nice big flatscreen, free wifi, really nice gym and a hip, fun bar. I know they don't have a full service restaurant and don't expect room service. I don't stay at an Aloft to be pampered, I stay there typically to be close to an airport, at a price that is reasonable and for that purpose, it fits the bill and is a better choice for me than a Courtyard, Fairfield Inn or other budget hotel offerings (other than Hampton Inns, which I also like).

This new SFO Aloft is bigger than most, but other than that seemed the same to me. Positives: - Location! Super close to the airport...literally the fence to the airport property is just across the parking lot. HOWEVER, I would not stay here as a base for a pleasure vacation to explore San Francisco...as the city is a sold 25-30 min away, with little traffic. For me, this is a place to stay because I have an early a.m. flight or am arriving late in the evening.
- Eager to please and friendly staff -- especially bartender (Jason, I think) .
- Quiet - I was nervous because my room was close to the freeway and i'm a super light sleeper, but they have sound-proofed this building well! Very quiet.

Opportunity areas:
- Staff still working out the kinks - front desk had troubles entering in my SPG number and didn't seem to know how to navigate the computer systems well (I'm sure this will improve quickly). I just received my emailed receipt and it says " thank you for your stay at the Sheraton" lol -- obviously another computer glitch!
- Parking! Two things, one I don't like to pay for parking when I stay at a hotel outside of the city. And $28 seemed excessive to me! Second, I think they allow non-guests to park there as a cheaper option than parking at the airport because though the hotel was not even fully open, the lot was packed! I had trouble even finding a spot and when I did, both times I came back to the hotel, the spot was at the dark, back, far-away-from-front-door locations.

Bottomline is that I'll definitely stay at the SFO Aloft again when I need an aiport hotel at a decent price!

Lynne

Room Tip: Soundproofing is excellent, but still, I'd reco a room away from the freeway and with a view of...
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

The first day was a bit weak. We got a distant room. Far from the front, the great gym. But everything worked fine. Wifi good. Gym, as I said, quite nice. Good location for airport or walking over highway to stores/market/a few small restaurants, BART, other transit. They charge for parking, but in this area hotels have to or folks would abuse it. 15 minutes to drop things as we returned our car, and they could extend that for us. False fire alarm the first night at 11:30pm. Oh, and guy at desk had reservations all confused. But from there on things went well on that night and the return. Shuttle worked fine. Restaurant food a bit costly for what it was, but staff super nice. I'd be happy to stay again, and our room location request on day 4 was taken and we got just where we hoped. We got a good price, too, for SFO area, so that certainly helped.

Dear KiowVT,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

This was my first time at an Aloft and after my experience I am not a fan of the concept, especially if traveling for business. It would have been okay if just staying a night after flying through SFO (maybe that is what most people use it for) but I stayed here for three nights while I was attending a conference in downtown San Francisco (and all of the other hotels were sold out.)

Aloft is very "hip and cool" with moden furniture, but unfortunately the cool-looking furniture is uncomfortable and not functional. The rooms are nice and clean. They have all of the usual travel ammenities except the fridge is not stocked with a mini-bar which would be really nice because the hotel has no room service.

My biggest complaint about the hotel is that the front desk is also where you order your breakfast food so the poor front desk people are completely overloaded as they have to check people out and be reminded that my breakfast burrito has not been delivered. The system was highly ineffective and frusterating as is the "restaurant" where nobody has any clue who they are supposed to talk to about getting their food.

I would recommend this hotel if you do not care about being pampered AT ALL. It very much felt like an extension of the airport travel experience where things can be a bit of a hassel. When traveling for business, I personally like to stay in a hotel where I can order room serivce or crack open a Coke from the minibar as well as order breakfast in a sit-down area where the service is not completely frazzled and ignoring you. Clearly these service offerings or lackthereof were the intent of the Starwood Group with this brand, but in my opinion, it is not working for business travelers.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the top floor because someone kept dropping something on the floor above me...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
The Westin San Francisco Airport
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
BEST WESTERN PLUS El Rancho Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites San Francisco-Burlingame-Airport South
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
Bay Landing Hotel
Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame

Been to Aloft San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!