“Good hotel for Park, Sleep, Fly”

Fairfield Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport/Millbrae
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Millbrae
Fairfield, California
“Good hotel for Park, Sleep, Fly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

When flying internationally we often choose to do a Park, Sleep Fly near SFO so that we don't have to rush to the airport on the morning of the flight, and we can park our car as part of a 1 night stay and parking package. This hotel, although maybe not as "nice" as others we've stayed in for this purpose, provided the best of the two most important things for us: proximity to the airport (less than 10 minutes by their shuttle), and good parking (underground garage). Right on El Camino Real, only a half mile (if that) north of Milbrae Avenue ( a major exit off of 101), it was very easy to get to. The rooms are ~OK~, but do have a refrigerator and ours at least was a "suite" - one sitting room with HD TV, and a bedroom, also with HD TV - so it was comfortable for just the one night stay. And like all Fairfield Inns, there was the usual free breakfast with the typical fare similar to Residence Inns and Hampton Inns. Would I stay there again - if still offered as a Park Sleep Fly hotel, it would probably be my first choice (but it seems they change their lineup all the time). Otherwise, you might check around and compare prices.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at his hotel because it is the only hotel at SFO within walking distance to the BART train station. Very friendly staff. In the morning, we were surprised by the fact that the hotel has several hot items in their breakfast buffet. Overall, given the rates in San Francisco, we found this hotel to be very reasonable given its location, service, and product. It was a typical Marriott experience.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Trav_4_Life_13
Farmington Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We selected this hotel based on it's location and were not disappointed. We came in very late our first night and wanted a hotel close to the airport. At midnight, the ramps to 101 were closed so the night clerk gave us easy alternate directions to the hotel. The lcoation was a 5 minute walk from the Cal train/Bart station which was great for when we went to a Giants game. We could hear the trains sometimes from the room, but it was not bad. We had a suite so my son had his own "room" which he thought was great. We had plenty of space and the room was clean. Breakfast in the morning was good, but certain times were definitely busier. Parking under the hotel was easy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Norcross, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

My stay at this hotel was absolutely wonderful! The hotel provides excellent customer service! The location was perfect for my vacation! The complimentary shuttle from the airport was very convenient.The breakfast was definitely a great addition to the many positive attributes of the hotel. We were easily able to get to all San Francisco attractions via the Bart just a few blocks away! Joleen at the front desk was extremely nice and helped us find a great thai restaurant across the street! (Thai Stix ) Our room was very cozy and relaxing This hotel will definitely be my first choice for all future visits to San Francisco!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I had a bad experience at this hotel last Thursday.

Positives:

The hotel was in a good location in Millbrae. A shuttle runs to the airport about every half hour. There are a lot of eating places within easy walking distance (we recommend The Fiddler's Green, Irish pub, just across the street).

Negatives:

After checking in about 4 PM, I tried to use my IPad to connect to the WiFi. After many tries, I just couldn't get it to work. Following the suggested procedure, I called technical support via a button on the hotel phone. I was 45 minutes with the tech support, without resolution. I did discover that I could connect if I was near the door of my room, but not on on the side near the bed and windows (where I wanted to use the connection). The tech guy said he would contact the front desk and that those folks could then call me with suggestions - including possibly changing our room. I waited 10 minutes, then went down to the desk & asked the young lady if she'd heard from the tech person. "Yes", she said. "But we can't offer you another room because we're full". I said it was disappointing not to have access to WiFi as expected. With a pasted-on smile, she replied, in a perfunctory matter, "Sorry about that" - and asked the next customer to approach the desk. She displayed no empathy.... none...

Then I tried to print boarding passes for our flight on the equipment in the lobby. The printer didn't work - and indicated it was out of toner. "We've got it on order - it'll be in tomorrow", I was told. Same young lady, to her credit, printed them up for me using the office computer and printer.

Our flight was changed the next morning by the airline - so I needed new boarding passes. New lady behind the counter. She somewhat reluctantly agreed to attempt to print them up for me using office equipment. While I was waiting, another guest asked about making a copy. She was told she could use the lobby's printer, but that "it might not make a very good copy because the toner is low". I helpfully told the guest "it won't make any copy at all". I was given a resentful glance by the staff member. The reader must trust me when I say that, in all communications with the staff of this hotel, I spoke in a calm and respectful manner. In the meantime, the computer behind the desk was hanging up, and I was never able to reprint our boarding passes.

So... WiFi did not work properly, the lobby's printer had been allowed to run out of toner with no replacement on site, the office's computer would not properly navigate the airline's site (I was told "We've been having some problems with it"), and I found the two staff members I'd come in contact with to be unsympathetic... at best. In addition, on the floor of our room I found a candy wrapper on the floor by our bed, and a single slipper and shoe box under the small sofa.

This place is not managed well, and the staff is not customer oriented. I am not hard to please, but Fairfield Inn & Suites in Millbrae left us feeling resentful. Over the years, I've found Marriott properties to be very well run. In our experience, this was an exception.

I know not everyone can be pleased, and that some folks are unreasonable. But, in reading over previous negative reviews, I've noted that even the management's responses to these reviews tend to be defensive rather than apologetic... which reinforces our own experience with the staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jbird1213

Travelers are raving about these Millbrae hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel was okay. I was expecting a whole lot more given the price per night. It was very close to the highway and the airport so I was happy about that as well. There is a bart that is about 2 blocks away and will take you all the way to the pier. It was very easy to get to the airport and the pier since we rented a car and we didnt seem to be that far away from everything. Rooms were clean and breakfast was free. I was expecting a little more for the price but all in all it was okay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

As if $219 a night wasn't bad enough, I also had the pleasure of having the night clerk hang up on me while I was reporting a noisy neighbor at 2:30 a.m. I will not be back. The rooms are small and very narrow. Not comfortable at all. Thankfully it was one night. Parking is $9.95 a night. Taco Bell right next door for a quick dinner.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tech-trekker
Janice250, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport/Millbrae, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
On behalf of the entire staff at the Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites SFO, we would like to thank-you for your stay and comments. We will research your complaint. We take guest service very seriously, and our hotel is known for its spacious and quiet rooms. In fact, all of our rooms have a separate sleeping and living area with two televisions and a microwave and refrigerator in each room. Our rates are very competitive with other hotels that have a similar level of quality. As there are other cheaper hotels in the market, these hotels do not have the quality and amenities that our hotel offers.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millbrae
BEST WESTERN PLUS El Rancho Inn
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
The Westin San Francisco Airport
Millwood Inn & Suites
Millwood Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Millbrae
Aloft San Francisco Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport West

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport/Millbrae? Share your experiences!