“Great Breakfast”
Review of St. Bernard Lodge

St. Bernard Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Mill Creek B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this B&B for two nights in July and I would recommend to other travelers. The best part was the breakfast, they will give you a menu and you can select from a wide selection. We didn’t need to eat lunch and only snacked during the day. Other positives, they have wine and snacks from 4-5pm for their guests (excellent onion rings). The place is full of history, beds were comfortable. Our room was on the back side away from the road and we didn’t really hear the cars going by. Areas that could use improvement: 1) The hosts never introduced themselves, they were very nice and we talked with them for a while but they never told us their names. 2) Walls are paper thin; if you’re a light sleeper you’ll need earplugs (like me). 3) You’ll need to share a bathroom which isn’t a big deal for me; there were two bathrooms for 7 rooms. Our room was next to the bathroom and you could hear people going in and out early in the morning. 4) The grounds outside looked somewhat neglected, there was a hot tub we used but I wondering the last time the water was changed. They do run a restaurant for the guests but we did not eat there and elected to drive 10 miles to the nearest town to have more choices of food. This B&B is about ½ hour to the National Park. Recommendation at the NP, at the visitor center, after a long day of hiking, stop in for a German beer and sit on the outside patio and enjoy the views!

Room Tip: If your're a light sleeper, ask the host to help you select a room. Rooms on the front side hav...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LouLisa
There are newer reviews for St. Bernard Lodge

Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I were lucky to stay at the St. Bernard Lodge. We had made reservations through expedia, but when we arrived we learned that the reservation wasn't valid as the owners had discontinued their business right before our reservations were made. This freaked me out as when we walked in there was a no vacancy sign. Sharon was very helpful in getting us through to expedia and getting us a refund and then giving us a room (lucky ducks). Our room was rustic and cozy, super clean; which of course is a must. Breakfast here is included and amazing! Maybe some of the best pancakes I've ever had. Although there were only communal bathrooms we never once had to wait and they were clean. Sharon was also very helpful giving us tips on what to see, even as we left for Tahoe she gave us some great recommedations! Overall our experience was a great one.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dart-tart
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed a night at the St. Bernard B&B on our way from the Redwoods to Yosemite and found it to be a most delightful place. It is a historic place and has much character in the St. Bernard themed decorations in the restaurant and bar. The rooms are small and you share a bath at the end of the hall, but the price was reasonable and the rooms were clean and the bed comfortable. The breakfast was outstanding and more than filling. The innkeeper was delightful and went out of her way to help us plan our traveling route for the day. She clearly enjoys helping guests maximize their experience in the Lassen area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tmorgan
Reviewed November 2, 2011

My Mom and I stayed here for the night before we hiked Mt Lassen and enjoyed it.
The rooms are large and comfortable and the owners were quite hospitable.

Keep in mind that is not a luxury setting though and in fact feels quite rustic. Which is appropriate for the area.

We did not have any road noise and I am quite sensitive to that when I am traveling.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank kristinehanna
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We booked a room at the St. Bernard Lodge because of the proximity to Lassen National Park. The property is really nice and the place is decorated nicely with antiques with a warm welcoming feeling. We checked in during happy hour and were offered an appetizer and a glass of wine in the bar area of the the resort. We shot a game of pool and visited with the in keepers, Jim and Sharon. Not only are they the owners, but they are the chefs and servers of their bar and restaurant. They offer you your privacy or are willing to offer up conversation and/or their knowledge of the area. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The sheets on the bed were as nice as any 5 star resort! When we got up, we ordered off of a full menu and Jim cooked it up sending us off for our day of hiking. The food was excellent and plentiful and upon request, they will even pack you a sack lunch! They really go the extra mile to make your stay NICE. The room rate was fair and I would highly recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone who wants to stay more than a day to explore beautiful Lassen National Park!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed in the lodge over-night this week. The lodge is beautifully situated but try as I might I could not find a St. Bernard dog anywhere!! The owners were not overly friendly, limiting their conversations to single syllables answers, but the Tavern was a welcome sight after a long drive. In future I will probably drive the extra 10 miles and stay in Chester.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Julesshee
Reviewed September 22, 2011

we spent 2 nights in Sep 11 while visiting Lassen Volcanic National Park. The property is lovely. There are more than 5 and less than 8 rooms. Shared bathrooms (one with tub, the other with shower) but for the length of our stay we never had to wait. Breakfast (included in the price) was great!!! several menus to choose among. Dinner is by reservation but when we got there they were very kind and fed us! Both host and hostess are very nice and helpful!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Bernard Lodge? Share your experiences!