“Verbal abuse and unwelcoming.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Midpines
Yosemite West / Mariposa KOA
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We went out for a camp trip up in mariposa county for many reason; one, our very good friends had their birth day and wanted to take him out on a special day, we also had a friend out of the United States visiting and wanted to show her the beautiful site mariposa has to offer. We ended up getting lost and not finding the original camp ground we were going to. It got so late up to a point that it was 5 am in the morning. We are from monterey county and we don't know our way around we relied on apple maps which took us to a path where it led us to a very scary off road and to top it off the gate was close. So after searching for many places like I mention earlier around five we found KOA which we looked around for a info box so we can pay our fees. However we couldn't so we decided that hopefully we could pay once someone showed up. but we got the most rude lady ever came dropped off a envelope practically yelled at us you have 10 minutes to pay 86 dollars and I politely asked her that we came at 5 am if we shld put today's date. She gave me the worst glare I have ever recieved an said no you put yesterday's date. My camp buddies and I went to the front to pay and I told her she was being a bit on the rude side she got such a disgusting attitude and kept what felt to me schooling and not even making eye contact and once she did she gave me another nasty look. Anyway then after I told he that her attitude was not very customer friendly and that she should give me my place as a customer she said well I am the owner. I asked her name she said it was Bridget And to top it all I went in and ask for the wifi user id that we were subscribe I typed in exactly what she said and it did not allow me to enter. I am assuming she did not wan to give it to us. No body else in the staff was rude to us although nobody said hello or even acknowledge us until I had to approach this man to ask him about the wifi so I cld start this complain letter. I honestly felt like we were being verbally harassed by Bridget and felt very unwelcome and uncomfortable for the 6 hours that cost us $86.00

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Ela_dela_
There are newer reviews for Yosemite West / Mariposa KOA

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We visit lots of KOA Kampgrounds, and this one was the least memorable. Honestly it was clean and suited our needs, no real complaints, it just wasn't special like the others we have been to. Most KOA Staff people are over-the-top friendly, these ladies just said what needed to be said and were particularly friendly. The campground was very clean: new gravel, fresh paint, lots of new landscaping plants. But we didn't notice extra ammenities like the other KOAs have. I guess we'd go back if there weren't other options, but I noticed there's another KOA nearby so I'd probably try that one first. This one is 23 miles from Yosemite, so maybe they don't need the extras.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Nice place, not so good service
We stayed three nights renting a cabin, though small, the cabin met our expectations. The kitchen is well equipped and clean. We ejoyed the swing, the small grill and the table on the outside of the cabin's. Even an hour of Yosemite Park, we were in the woods, listening to the turkeys and seeing some deer on the road that is really nice. The laundry room well equipped and very clean. A well stocked small shop with good prices. People in the front desk are far from being friendly and welcoming, I had problems with the hot water in my cabin that they would not solve, telling me that I did not run correctly, which was not true.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We love staying at KOAs and trust the name but we were disappointed with this one. What was up with the front desk gal? Not friendly at all. We were promised wi-fi and during our four days we weren't able to get a signal. The front desk gal said they had excellent reception. Could have fooled me. We asked her what time Mass was at St. Joseph's church in nearby Mariposa. She didn't know and said it was either 8:30am or 11:00am. Well if we had wi-fi we wouldn't have bothered her busy day of staring out the front door. At the end of our stay we walked in to return the key to our cabin. She didn't say anything. A good morning would have been nice. I said, "Here's the key." She said, "Okay." She didn't ask us how our stay was. Didn't ask us to come back. Don't worry we won't be back. On the positive side the cabins were fun for the kiddos. Everything is made out of wood including the bunk bed. The room came with a large portable heater that kept the room toasty. There was also a ceiling fan but no air conditioning. It was too cold for us to worry about that anyway. The bathrooms were fairly clean but if you are squeamish about sharing the shower floor with other bathers choose either end shower stall. The water drains to a central drain located in the center shower stall. I can just imagine standing in the center shower stall while other bathers are washing, shaving, and who knows what and having all that dirty water run into the center shower stall. ICK! The bathrooms have hair dryers that worked well, better then some hotel dryers I have used. The area all around the campground was clean. There were some turkeys wandering around and at night you can listen to the frogs croak in the pond. My suggestion: Stay at another campground closer to Yosemite if that is your destination until this KOA takes care of their problems.

Room Tip: The small cabins don't come with a bathroom but then again neither do tents.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Leni28
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This campground is one of the most unusual places I have ever stayed. It appears clean, orderly and efficient, and indeed it is, but it is ruled with an iron fist and a 2-inch think rulebook. There is just something creepy about the place.

You can't walk through the campground swinging a dead cat and not hit a sign that reads, "NO...", "DO NOT....", and/or "YOU MUST....". Literally every foot of the campground is controlled by rules that tell you how to drive, where to turn, even how to turn, even how to walk.

Every inch of the campground has been reviewed to generate revenue or reduce cost, almost to the point of misrepresentation. The shower mats are designed with sharp points to get you out of the shower quickly. The shower heads adjusted to simulate a water cannon. We were there in the slow season with only about 25% of the park being used. The 2 available showers were fine, but I wondered what would happen with a sell out. The line ups would stretch around the block lol The ads read free WiFI but the site does not actually offer WiFi. It has an arrangement with a 3rd party vendor who gives you one free hour then starts charging at 60 minutes plus one second. Unlike most other KOA's there is no central meeting area, rec center etc. I can imagine that one of the Kamping Kabins is reserved as a lock up for misbehaving children.

The role of the woman at the front desk appears to be to guard the cash register and the telephone. She apparently has no knowledge of the local area, and offers no advertising material from other parties except those paying her a fee such as the WiFi service. She thinks it is a 30 minute drive to Yosemite when, in fact, the best we could do was one hour, and we were told that during busy season it can take 90 minutes. She will not speal unless spoken to, answers only "mmmm" and "NO." Since she apparently has a family connection with the local sheriff's department, don't bother to try to enforce contract law at the site. A few good ole boys are but 1 minute away and they will remove you even when they clearly have no authority.

This campground is fine in off season for 2-3 adults with knowledge of contract law. It is clean and quiet. But I would stay clear if I was traveling with children, traveling in a group larger than 3 people and/or traveling in busy seasons.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank SpenceCole
Reviewed October 16, 2012

we've been travelling around america for 2 months now, and been staying with KOA 90% of the time. We were SO disappointed with this KOA! not really near Yosemite, yet camp name is misleading! abrupt, far from friendly staff! not exactly the welcoming feeling you get from the other Koa's! especially after a long days travel! the area looked pretty... but the tent sites were awful! the designated tent spot was like a sand/dust pit! we left filthy! the pool was cold - but to be expected in a basic campsite - but really dirty! not expected! 1 hour free wifi... woohoo...! signal was rubbish and no where els has limited wifi (and theyve all been cheaper!!) the toilets were dirty, and limited! the shower was more of a mist dribble that was cramped and the floor mat was extremely uncomfortable, and when i went to move it, the floor was filthy! this campsite has nothing to offer... the only thing we liked was the stray kitten that befriended us! if we were to do this again, i'd use the $40 (FOR A TENTSITE...!!) to travel to another KOA!

Room Tip: find another KOA!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Terri H
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We came in the early evening after the office was closed. We did the self check in.
The RV spots were nice and the cabins looked "cute" but I didn't see in them.
The bathrooms were clean and had hot water. The swimming pool was to cold to swim and the place was dark. Hard to tell what was open and what was not.
Apparently there was Wifi but there were no visible instructions or indications. The little door where the sign was hanging was open so you couldn't see the sign. When I suggested they move the sign to where we could see it when arriving after office hours the lady was rude and argumentative (and I was gentle and sweet with her)
The tent areas were a decent size and had gravel parking, but the tent pads were dust bowls. every step was a talc like plume! By the end of packing time and taking down the tent the next morning we were filthy dirty. Our powder bowl site was about midway to the end of the row and the bathroom (singular) was quite a distance. Much further for some other sites. In the night you could have some aerobic runs to the potty.
I think the camp was "OK" but the rude lady ruined it for me.....she made a ton of stupid excuses instead of seeing how easy it would be to make me (and the six other guests) who also didn't find the WIFI till morning, happy.
It was not worth $40 to pitch my tent in the dirt. A few dollars more would have gotten me a hotel with a nice desk clerk and some wifi with no drama!

Room Tip: you better have a good bladder or be close to the office.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Iquitosman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midpines
Yosemite Cedar Lodge
Yosemite Bug Rustic Mountain Resort
Miners Inn Motel
Miners Inn Motel
#1 of 6 in Mariposa

Been to Yosemite West / Mariposa KOA? Share your experiences!