“KOA not AOK : (”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Midpines
Yosemite West / Mariposa KOA
Los Angeles, California
“KOA not AOK : (”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We love staying at KOAs and trust the name but we were disappointed with this one. What was up with the front desk gal? Not friendly at all. We were promised wi-fi and during our four days we weren't able to get a signal. The front desk gal said they had excellent reception. Could have fooled me. We asked her what time Mass was at St. Joseph's church in nearby Mariposa. She didn't know and said it was either 8:30am or 11:00am. Well if we had wi-fi we wouldn't have bothered her busy day of staring out the front door. At the end of our stay we walked in to return the key to our cabin. She didn't say anything. A good morning would have been nice. I said, "Here's the key." She said, "Okay." She didn't ask us how our stay was. Didn't ask us to come back. Don't worry we won't be back. On the positive side the cabins were fun for the kiddos. Everything is made out of wood including the bunk bed. The room came with a large portable heater that kept the room toasty. There was also a ceiling fan but no air conditioning. It was too cold for us to worry about that anyway. The bathrooms were fairly clean but if you are squeamish about sharing the shower floor with other bathers choose either end shower stall. The water drains to a central drain located in the center shower stall. I can just imagine standing in the center shower stall while other bathers are washing, shaving, and who knows what and having all that dirty water run into the center shower stall. ICK! The bathrooms have hair dryers that worked well, better then some hotel dryers I have used. The area all around the campground was clean. There were some turkeys wandering around and at night you can listen to the frogs croak in the pond. My suggestion: Stay at another campground closer to Yosemite if that is your destination until this KOA takes care of their problems.

Room Tip: The small cabins don't come with a bathroom but then again neither do tents.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Leni28

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Canuck in Mexico
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This campground is one of the most unusual places I have ever stayed. It appears clean, orderly and efficient, and indeed it is, but it is ruled with an iron fist and a 2-inch think rulebook. There is just something creepy about the place.

You can't walk through the campground swinging a dead cat and not hit a sign that reads, "NO...", "DO NOT....", and/or "YOU MUST....". Literally every foot of the campground is controlled by rules that tell you how to drive, where to turn, even how to turn, even how to walk.

Every inch of the campground has been reviewed to generate revenue or reduce cost, almost to the point of misrepresentation. The shower mats are designed with sharp points to get you out of the shower quickly. The shower heads adjusted to simulate a water cannon. We were there in the slow season with only about 25% of the park being used. The 2 available showers were fine, but I wondered what would happen with a sell out. The line ups would stretch around the block lol The ads read free WiFI but the site does not actually offer WiFi. It has an arrangement with a 3rd party vendor who gives you one free hour then starts charging at 60 minutes plus one second. Unlike most other KOA's there is no central meeting area, rec center etc. I can imagine that one of the Kamping Kabins is reserved as a lock up for misbehaving children.

The role of the woman at the front desk appears to be to guard the cash register and the telephone. She apparently has no knowledge of the local area, and offers no advertising material from other parties except those paying her a fee such as the WiFi service. She thinks it is a 30 minute drive to Yosemite when, in fact, the best we could do was one hour, and we were told that during busy season it can take 90 minutes. She will not speal unless spoken to, answers only "mmmm" and "NO." Since she apparently has a family connection with the local sheriff's department, don't bother to try to enforce contract law at the site. A few good ole boys are but 1 minute away and they will remove you even when they clearly have no authority.

This campground is fine in off season for 2-3 adults with knowledge of contract law. It is clean and quiet. But I would stay clear if I was traveling with children, traveling in a group larger than 3 people and/or traveling in busy seasons.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank SpenceCole
Burwash, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

we've been travelling around america for 2 months now, and been staying with KOA 90% of the time. We were SO disappointed with this KOA! not really near Yosemite, yet camp name is misleading! abrupt, far from friendly staff! not exactly the welcoming feeling you get from the other Koa's! especially after a long days travel! the area looked pretty... but the tent sites were awful! the designated tent spot was like a sand/dust pit! we left filthy! the pool was cold - but to be expected in a basic campsite - but really dirty! not expected! 1 hour free wifi... woohoo...! signal was rubbish and no where els has limited wifi (and theyve all been cheaper!!) the toilets were dirty, and limited! the shower was more of a mist dribble that was cramped and the floor mat was extremely uncomfortable, and when i went to move it, the floor was filthy! this campsite has nothing to offer... the only thing we liked was the stray kitten that befriended us! if we were to do this again, i'd use the $40 (FOR A TENTSITE...!!) to travel to another KOA!

Room Tip: find another KOA!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Terri H
Iquitos, Peru
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We came in the early evening after the office was closed. We did the self check in.
The RV spots were nice and the cabins looked "cute" but I didn't see in them.
The bathrooms were clean and had hot water. The swimming pool was to cold to swim and the place was dark. Hard to tell what was open and what was not.
Apparently there was Wifi but there were no visible instructions or indications. The little door where the sign was hanging was open so you couldn't see the sign. When I suggested they move the sign to where we could see it when arriving after office hours the lady was rude and argumentative (and I was gentle and sweet with her)
The tent areas were a decent size and had gravel parking, but the tent pads were dust bowls. every step was a talc like plume! By the end of packing time and taking down the tent the next morning we were filthy dirty. Our powder bowl site was about midway to the end of the row and the bathroom (singular) was quite a distance. Much further for some other sites. In the night you could have some aerobic runs to the potty.
I think the camp was "OK" but the rude lady ruined it for me.....she made a ton of stupid excuses instead of seeing how easy it would be to make me (and the six other guests) who also didn't find the WIFI till morning, happy.
It was not worth $40 to pitch my tent in the dirt. A few dollars more would have gotten me a hotel with a nice desk clerk and some wifi with no drama!

Room Tip: you better have a good bladder or be close to the office.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Iquitosman
Riverside, California, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We got the campground an hour early. We were excited to start our first family trip to Yosemite and landed koa - my kids and my husband were waiting in the van as the owner told us that we cannot park on the registration parking lot - we must get out of the campground and return at 1 pm. It became 12 15 and I tod them my husband is very exhausted for driving hours all morning and we ll wait inside our van - the owner tore our cabin reservations up and told us we disrespected their policy and scattered us out or they would call police. At first I thought they were teasing us but they were serious - even more we are deaf and we tried to write back to them - apologizing if we made them upset by staying in our van at the lot. They refused to read the paper and put the sign "we reserve no right to serve anyone" . I never had experience bursting into tears all of my life for this - I was hurt and my two kids (5 and 7 years old) did not und why we had to leave with no place to sle. We had to go to Fresno to sleep hotel for three nights - and go back to Yosemite during the day. I had been to koa all of my life and I never have experienced this horrible encounter in my life. It is still scarred in my mind.

Room Tip: Do not go to this place. All staff were unkind and insensitive .
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Jeannette Z
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Absolutely brilliant setting, and plenty for the kids to do. Toilet shower facilities were clean most of the time (but you needed to know when the daily clean was taking place, and not try to use them in the hour or two before!). The site wasn't that busy, so we didn't spend too much time waiting for showers, but can see how that would be a problem at peak times. Staff on the whole were pretty friendly.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MJN2333
Santa Cruz, California, United States
Reviewed August 30, 2012

From arrival to departure (four day total) we were treated well. Bridget was the lady who checked us in and was personable and hospitable. She made suggestions about our visit to Yosemite and was very sweet to my four year old son when I got him an ice cream cone later in our visit.

Our cabin was clean and satisfactory.

YES THERE ARE FLIES, MOSQUITOES, AND BEES. That's because you are CAMPING. The bees are EVERYWHERE throughout the Yosemite valley.

The pool was cold but clean (NOT as cold as the river was though). The grounds were well maintained and the restrooms were clean.

The ONE drawback is the number of showers (the only reason for the four instead of five rating)...I agree with other reviewers in that they really could add some more showers. I could see how the shower arrangement would get overwhelmed if they had more campers than were there while we were.

Room Tip: The cabins are clean but the mattresses are NOT the best quality, though standard fare for KOA Kampi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank David W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midpines
Cedar Lodge
Miners Inn Motel
Miners Inn Motel
#1 of 6 in Mariposa
Best Western Plus Yosemite Way Station Motel

Been to Yosemite West / Mariposa KOA? Share your experiences!