“Horrible experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Midpines
Yosemite West / Mariposa KOA
Riverside, California, United States
“Horrible experience”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We got the campground an hour early. We were excited to start our first family trip to Yosemite and landed koa - my kids and my husband were waiting in the van as the owner told us that we cannot park on the registration parking lot - we must get out of the campground and return at 1 pm. It became 12 15 and I tod them my husband is very exhausted for driving hours all morning and we ll wait inside our van - the owner tore our cabin reservations up and told us we disrespected their policy and scattered us out or they would call police. At first I thought they were teasing us but they were serious - even more we are deaf and we tried to write back to them - apologizing if we made them upset by staying in our van at the lot. They refused to read the paper and put the sign "we reserve no right to serve anyone" . I never had experience bursting into tears all of my life for this - I was hurt and my two kids (5 and 7 years old) did not und why we had to leave with no place to sle. We had to go to Fresno to sleep hotel for three nights - and go back to Yosemite during the day. I had been to koa all of my life and I never have experienced this horrible encounter in my life. It is still scarred in my mind.

Room Tip: Do not go to this place. All staff were unkind and insensitive .
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank Jeannette Z

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Absolutely brilliant setting, and plenty for the kids to do. Toilet shower facilities were clean most of the time (but you needed to know when the daily clean was taking place, and not try to use them in the hour or two before!). The site wasn't that busy, so we didn't spend too much time waiting for showers, but can see how that would be a problem at peak times. Staff on the whole were pretty friendly.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MJN2333
Santa Cruz, California, United States
Reviewed August 30, 2012

From arrival to departure (four day total) we were treated well. Bridget was the lady who checked us in and was personable and hospitable. She made suggestions about our visit to Yosemite and was very sweet to my four year old son when I got him an ice cream cone later in our visit.

Our cabin was clean and satisfactory.

YES THERE ARE FLIES, MOSQUITOES, AND BEES. That's because you are CAMPING. The bees are EVERYWHERE throughout the Yosemite valley.

The pool was cold but clean (NOT as cold as the river was though). The grounds were well maintained and the restrooms were clean.

The ONE drawback is the number of showers (the only reason for the four instead of five rating)...I agree with other reviewers in that they really could add some more showers. I could see how the shower arrangement would get overwhelmed if they had more campers than were there while we were.

Room Tip: The cabins are clean but the mattresses are NOT the best quality, though standard fare for KOA Kampi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank David W
USA
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was a long drive from Yosemite, about an hour each way. The drive was pretty but two hours each day was spent on the road. We stayed in cabins and they were OK except they cost about $75 each night. The camprgrounds looked crowded and some of the tent sites looked like they were up steep walks from the parking or road. There was only one restroom in the main building but it wasn't crowded at times we were there.(although I imagine it was a times.) The road from the cabins to the restrooms was a fairly steep hill. Actually the whole property was a big hill. The pool was nice but closed most of the time when we got back from Yosemite. A plus was the 24 hour laundry with adequate amount of machines. WIFI was best around the main building and they limited you to only an hour a day of free service. We had to sit on picnic tables near the building as it did not reach to our cabin.
The staff were friendly to a point, mostly matter of fact. In the store I paid for ice before removing it from the freezer. A worker who came in then asked me if I wanted to pay for it. I felt bad he though I was trying to swipe it. I told him I had already paid the lady at the counter. No apology or graciousness given... kind of made me feel badly. A plus was the caboose that had old arcade games which my teen loved!! A unique touch! Not sure I would stay here again for a Yosemite visit. But places around Yosemite are scarce.

2 Thank ShurleyUSA
Netherlands
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here with our tent. The surroundings are pretty, the pool is nice, but the price you pay for this campsite is really not in line with the facilities they offer. There are not enough showers and toilets for the number of people on the campsite and should be cleaned more often.

We didn't have much to do with the staff, but the few encounters we had were not as friendly and sympathetic as we are used to at other, cheaper, campgrounds.

So, all in all, I hesitate between two and three bullets, but for the scenery and the swimming pool, I decided to award three.

1 Thank SaskiaNLNetherlands
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The facilities were in poor condition. Almost every bathroom I went to needed flushing - disgusting. One of the 3 showers didn't even work (don't know about the women's showers). At the the lower shared bathrooms 1 of the 2 doors couldn't even close for you to lock so was unusable unless of course you have a guard posted. The site itself was not very level and pretty much ant infested. My advice, find some other place to camp - not one of the better KOAs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KeystoneMountaineer

Travelers are raving about these Midpines hotels

PHOENIX
Reviewed August 4, 2012

First time I stayed here 7 years ago the cabin was totally full of bugs and my then 7 year old freaked, to the point that was all he remembered from our trip to Yosemite.. This time (after first checking there would be no bugs) we had a nice new cabin no11, with a door lock that was dodgy at best, didn't lock half the time. Overall the cabin was fine,the showers and toilets are sparse for the number of people staying at the campground (3 showers, 3 toilets). The shower heads are low flow so it takes twice as long to get your hair rinsed, and the mens showers I was told only one shower head was working properly. IHowever when we checked in the woman at the desk was LESS than friendly. Not sure why she was so inhospitable, maybe she doesn't like people in her campground. I also made the HUGE mistake of going into the laundry room and not shutting the door, and got an earful about that from the "yellow shirt" After two bad experiences, 7 years apart, I dont think I would stay there again, especially as the drive into Yosemite is long from this location and there is no draw to camp there.

1 Thank kiwiaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midpines
Cedar Lodge
#1 of 6 in Mariposa
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Yosemite West / Mariposa KOA? Share your experiences!