“Decent place to stay near Dodge Ridge”
Review of Christmas Tree Inn

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mi Wuk Village
SF Bay Area
“Decent place to stay near Dodge Ridge”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Decided to stay here so we were within a reasonable distance of Dodge Ridge but also had a few services nearby - a couple of places to eat and a convenience store. It is a basic motel, nothing fancy, but it was clean and smelled fine. Owners seemed helpful. Has an outdoor hot tub which they turned on for us on request. Quiet (but hotel was not fully booked). Wall unit heating in room dried me out a bit.

I give it a 4 star rating as a Very Good value given the cost.

Only downside for us - we booked and paid for three nights but decided not to stay the third night given shift in the weather. We weren't able to get a refund for the third night (despite a policy that if you cancelled outright, they'd only charge you two nights) but they did offer us a discount for staying again, and I'm likely to take them up on that offer.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank NearTheSeaSFBayArea

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed September 20, 2010

My wife and I stayed here on 9/18/10 and we enjoyed our stay. The room was clean and smelled good. The owners are nice and told my wife all about the places to visit and things to do. The owner even told us all about the gravel road (safety) leading to Lyons reservoir. It's a little pricy but overall I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Wanizon
Merced
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Quiet and clean!!! The family who own it are nice. The pool was heated, the hot tub worked wonderfully. We stayed there due to overcrowding at Meadow view campground we could not find a spot but the Christmas Tree Inn made us feel better after a disappointing campground search.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank happyariascampers
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed January 4, 2009

New Years Eve 2008 we decided to go up to Dodge to play in the snow and stay over night to play again the next day. My father (50's) My husband and I (30's) and son (10) stayed at the Christmas Tree Inn, one of the only lodges in the area of Mi Wuk Village, CA. Wow I LOVE Christmas and the christmas spirit however, none will be found here if you choose to stay. BTW you can't even get extra towels because the inn keeper is concerned about the other guests who will need and ask for them. To top it off you may not even get a "whole" towel. After my son finished his shower he had to use a cut up towel. The rooms which are VERY over-priced ($159.00 per night) for the state that they are in had barely any water pressure in the shower and the door key (YES A KEY NOT A CARD) seemed to be given to chance whether it would let us in or not. You would think leaving your ten year old in a room would be safe while you ran out to your parked car for an extra pillow, however, the door jammed and I almost had to try to go through the window to get into my room. At last I'm in my room and switch on the television that had only four channels, not much of a night or stay. I repeatedly told my son to use his own blankets because the comforters looked ancient and gross. The guests were very kind and I felt bad knowing how much we all paid for this piece of crap hotel. Next time I'll build an igloo near a christmas tree and stay in that!

• Liked — NOthing!
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Critic_of_Crap
HighSierraSugarbear, Owners/Managers at Christmas Tree Inn, responded to this review, February 18, 2009
We apologize if we ran short on spa towels on New Years Eve for our guest. Our Spa is very popular. Our utility company set-up our energy program and we ALWAYS have plenty of hot water. Also, we have new Serta Perfect Sleeper beds with three pillows, new spreads, drapes, clock radios, hair dryers, etc as well as showers over bathtubs in all rooms. Our rooms are clean. Our property is the newest in the area with steel door frames. No security problem here and our rates never been as high as stated even during a holiday. Our guests comfort and satisfation is always our number one objective at the
Sincerely, Marvin Bergthold, Owner
SF Bay Area, CA
Reviewed February 25, 2008

Our family of four (2 adults, 2 kids ages 8 and 5) stayed here just one night, but were very happy with this little gem of an inn. The grounds were covered with snow, so not many flowers to see in February, as others have posted here, but the trees blanketed in snow were gorgeous. (Apologies to others who are sick of the 'white stuff' by this time each year. Living in San Jose, CA, and not seeing it very often I'm still somewhat enchanted by it.)
The couple who run the inn, Marvin and Dolores, are wonderfully helpful and friendly. When I asked about putting on our snow chains, they suggested we pull the car up under the covered driveway to make it easier. My husband, who was going to do it in the cold slushy parking lot, really appreciated this. Not being very familiar with the area, we were glad to find they keep an assortment of menus from local restaurants at the front desk, and they were very helpful in selecting a nearby place we could take the kids for dinner.
The beds were very comfy, with fluffy pillows, soft sheets, and thick blankets and comforters. The air conditioner/heater worked very well, and the room was not musty smelling in the least. My only complaint was that some of the towels were a bit thin, but they were glad to provide more upon request. The room had a small refrigerator, microwave, hairdryer and a coffeemaker. Nice amenities for the cost.
In the cozy lobby, Dolores has an impressive display table of lighted Christmas figurines that really are charming. She says she leaves it up from December until the snow is gone around Easter.
I would recommend this place to friends, and would love to stay here again sometime.

• Liked — easy to find, friendly hosts, clean room, nice amenities
  • Disliked — some towels were too thin
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
San Jose, CA
Reviewed December 10, 2007

What an incredible experience in a quaint setting! This property is warm and cozy and the owners go out of their way to exceed your expectations.

I've stayed in many five star properties in my years of travels, and this little gem could rival any of them in service and hospitality. I really loved the surrounding pine trees and the pool/jacuzzi area. The rooms were spotless, the beds extremely comfortable. We will recommend the Christmas Tree Inn to all our friends and family.

Thank you for making our stay so specia!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steelbiscuit_7
Fresno, CA
Reviewed August 28, 2007

We had a wonderful weekend at The Christmas Tree Inn in Mi-Wuk Village, CA. The Inn is surrounded by beautiful pine and cedar trees and is in such a beautiful location! Plus it is close to Columbia and Jamestown (Gold Country) and is just a few minutes away from the small village of Twain Harte. We had a great dinner there Sat. nite and then saw a concert in the park! Lots of fun!

The Inn itself is well maintained and has beautiful landscaping with loads of flowers, especially by the pool and spa area. It is operated by the owners themselves and they work hard to take care of their guests. The rooms are spotless!

Dodge Ridge skiing and a Snow Park near Sonora Pass are nearby so we hope to go back in the winter!

• Liked — The beautiful setting and the well kept rooms and property....very nice pool and spa area!
  • Disliked — It was all great.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Wildwood Inn
Wildwood Inn
#1 of 3 in Twain Harte
McCaffrey House Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Christmas Tree Inn? Share your experiences!