“Best Indian food I've had... anywhere! Good Vegetarian choices as well!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taste of Little India

Taste of Little India
Ranked #19 of 160 Restaurants in Merced
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups, Business meetings
Merced, California
“Best Indian food I've had... anywhere! Good Vegetarian choices as well!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband and I are regulars here, and we also stop by with out-of-town visitors whenever they visit us. If you have never eaten here, may I suggest the "Chicken Tikka Masala", and order it "mild". If you are used to eating spicy foods you might try the "medium", but unless you are Indian, stay away from ordering it "hot"! I also like the Karahi Chicken (with bell peppers and tomatoes), and the Saag Paneer (Spinach with cheese). My husband loves the mango lassi, and I love the hot chai. We have known, respected, and appreciated the owner since he opened the restaurant in Atwater, as well as the cooks. They are Indian, but the servers are locals (any nationality). The decor is Indian, very pleasant.
If you happen to be there during lunch hour, that is a good start if you've never eaten here, as you get to taste a variety of dishes in a buffet. The restaurant is closed on Mondays.

Merced
“Wait isn't that my food?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2009

I have eaten here many times but it had been awhile since the last time I had gone in and all the wait staff was new. Well we made our order and when they brought the food out they took it to a table behind ours and after they had started sampling our dishes the waiter went to their table, apologized for bring them the wrong food and picked it up and brought it to our table without saying anything to us like nothing had happened. I heard the people say they thought something was wrong but the food was really good. No refund, no discount, didn't even say anything about it. I was just so shocked I didn't know what to say. The food had already taken a really long to come out and we didn't want to wait so we just ate it. If the would have taken it back they probably would have just replated it anyway.

washington
“the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

I lived in Merced for 5 years and was a regular at this restaurant, coming from England I think I can honestly say I know my curry and this is the best I have tasted since I have been in America. After leaving Merced I have been all over California, Oregon and Washington and look forward to passing through Merced again just to have a good Bhuna, the local indian restaurant here in Washington doesn't even know what a bhuna is!.
Any way back to Taste of Little India, always good food, always full when I leave, nice decor, very good prices and I look forward to going back there again

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good Indian food - spicy...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

Good Indian food - spicy and hot if you like it that way, which is pretty hard to come by in the US where most Indian restaurants tend to cater to the milder tastes of the American palate. Try the vindaloo or the lamb biryani with a Golden Eagle beer - excellent!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
California
“The Best Indian Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2008

I think this restaurant is the best for Indian food in the greater Central Valley. I've never had anything but excellent service, even on their busiest nights when I didn't have a reservation but quickly found me a table. The combination platter is my favorite: pakoras, samosas, garbanzo beans and delicious plum and mint dipping sauces. I love their signature dish, the chicken tikka masala. I top it all off with garlic naan and an Indian beer. I can't go a few weeks without a visit for their tasty fare. And the waitresses are great too.

1 Thank chinowej